4 Replies Latest reply on Sep 15, 2014 8:15 AM by Toshiaki Takeuchi

converting files to dng after import

Toshiaki Takeuchi

Hi. Brand-new Lightroom 5 user here. I don't remember the dialog box showing up to ask me at the time of import whether I wanted the pics imported as dng files or not. Now that they're imported, is there a way to tell if they are already dng? I also know how to convert them one at a time, but is there a way to just have them all converted at once? (There are a few hundred.) Also I'm being asked whether I want to only convert RAW files (I'm guessing that this is the case, but let me know if I'm wrong here). And if I want to delete originals after conversion (again, I think I do, but is there a compelling reason not to delete? Can you tell I'm not a professional photographer?)

Thanks much for your help.

• 1. Re: converting files to dng after import
          DdeGannes Adobe Community Professional

Hi. Brand-new Lightroom 5 user here. I don't remember the dialog box showing up to ask me at the time of import whether I wanted the pics imported as dng files or not.

See screen capture.

Image00288.jpg

Now that they're imported, is there a way to tell if they are already dng?

When you have one of the files selected the .dng extention will be displayed.

I also know how to convert them one at a time, but is there a way to just have them all converted at once? (There are a few hundred.)

Sellect the files in the grid view Library module and use the Library menu to select "convert to dng" see the screen capture.

Untitled-1.jpg

Also I'm being asked whether I want to only convert RAW files (I'm guessing that this is the case, but let me know if I'm wrong here).

There is really little benefit in converting jpeg or tiff files to dng.

And if I want to delete originals after conversion (again, I think I do, but is there a compelling reason not to delete?

If you are using only Adobe products then you may never have use for the original raw files. However your camera manufacturers software and some other raw conversion software will not work with dng files. I am not a user of dng so my opinion is to always retain a copy of your raw files.

My main reason for shooting raw is to retain the original data for the benefit of utilizing further advancements in raw conversion software in the future, including software that does not support dng files.

Can you tell I'm not a professional photographer?)

No, as far as I am concerned there are many professionals and amateurs that may not know the answers to your questions.

• 2. Re: converting files to dng after import
            JimHess Adobe Community Professional & MVP

First of all, let me say that I don't believe there is anything inherently wrong with converting to DNG. If that's what you think you want to do, then go ahead and do it. But, except for a little space saving, I'm not sure there's any real advantage to converting. DNG was designed by Adobe, and is fully supported by Adobe products. DNG is NOT supported by most manufacturer software. If you convert to DNG then you are assured that Adobe will always support it, but you can also rest assured that there will be numerous products that you might want to use that will not support the format. If your camera is fully supported by Lightroom without converting to DNG then the choice is yours. If it makes you feel better to do the conversion, do it. But I would suggest holding on to your original raw files just in case you want to use a different product In the future that doesn't support DNG. On the other hand, if you are fully committed to using Adobe products then don't worry about keeping your raw files. It's mainly a question of what makes you feel more secure. I prefer keeping and working with my original raw files. You might think otherwise. And the best part about that is that we are both right.

• 3. Re: converting files to dng after import
              Toshiaki Takeuchi Level 1

Thanks, DdeGannes! It's very helpful to know this in any case. I will now talk to a pro I know who is becoming a mentor, to see what he recommends, but now I'm leaning toward keeping the RAW files. Nancy

• 4. Re: converting files to dng after import
                Toshiaki Takeuchi Level 1

And thanks to you as well, Jim. As I mentioned above, I will find out more info but now I'm thinking I will probably want to hold onto my RAW files and not stay beholden to Adobe, just in case. And after you posted last night, I recalled where I first heard about DNG...it was very recently when I was watching a youtube LR tutorial for beginners....and the guy, Terry White, I think is associated with Adobe! So it makes sense that he would automatically instruct people to convert to DNG right at the get-go.

Much to learn. I truly appreciate all the help I'm getting here.

Nancy