8 Replies Latest reply on Sep 16, 2014 9:25 AM by Laubender

Why can't delete contents of TextFrame?

daitranthanhoa Level 1

My data: Dropbox - data.indd

If i delete last character of TextFrame, Indesign will crash.

Why can't delete contents of TextFrame?

• 1. Re: Why can't delete contents of TextFrame?
          Laubender Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Did you try exporting to IDML and re-open the IDML file with inDesign?
          That could work for minor corruptions…

At least it worked for me in your case.

Also: Do an update to the bug fix version 8.0.2 of InDesign.

It seems, that you are working with CS6 v8.0.1

With the last character of text frame, do you mean the last character in the last table cell of your table?
          I had no problem deleting any character in your your text frame or in your table. I am on InDesign CS6 v8.0.2.

Hm. Could also be, that one of your fonts is the culprit. Did not have installed "A-OTF UD Shin Go Pro".

Uwe

• 2. Re: Why can't delete contents of TextFrame?
            daitranthanhoa Level 1

Last character of TextFrame is Character "Enter", But it was overcast by Table.

Normal, Character "Enter" will display at right of Table,

Do you know, What is the problem with  Character "Enter"?

Can set attribute display Character "Enter" at right of Table?

• 3. Re: Why can't delete contents of TextFrame?
              Javed_ali Adobe Employee

Hi,

I apologise that you are facing an issue with InDesign.

I tried the issue you mentioned with the file that you had attached and was able to reproduce the problem. Also as mentioned by Uwe exporting the given document to IDML and then performing the same steps made the issue go away. I would recommend that you also give this a try and see if this solves your problem for now.

The last character is end of story character which is there in any text frame when you create it. The character in the document at the last is not part of the table but the story in which the table is inserted.

Also note that what you are trying (deleting the last character) deletes the table because there is no other character than the table in the last.

Regards

Javed

• 4. Re: Why can't delete contents of TextFrame?

@Mohammad – now, that is interesting…

Still I could not reproduce the problem. Just opened the document in InDesign CS6 v8.0.2 on a MacBook Pro with OSX 10.7.5 (German). and deleted the last character. That was not the table. It was a paragraph sign. And that was really strange.

I made some screenshots to illustrate the "problem":

Here we see the freshly opened InDesign document with the lower right corner of the text frame in a side-by-side comparison with the story editor window.

The story editor is showing a paragraph sign, the last character of the story. And that is not the table itself. The text frame on the other side is showing the end of the story sign (as expected), but not the paragraph sign:

AParagraphSignAtTheEndOfTheTable.png

Now I deleted the paragraph sign in the story editor.

Hm, what happened to the end of story sign on the text frame?

It turned into a paragrpah sign…

AfterRemovingTheParagraphSign.png

Still I had no crash. Only sometimes the "beachball" of OSX spinning indicating that InDesign is calculating something and needs a long time.
                As I already said, no crash at all.

Here we can have a look at a freshly opened and saved IDML file of the document above.

Ok. We have some overset text, the last row of the table. That could be "normal", since there may be rounding errors. Also in row one of the table which is still 3 mm high, but cannot show the text anymore.

But what is really strange:

The paragraph sign at the end of the story (as shown in the story editor of the original InDesign document) is totally gone!

(I did not remove it before exporting to IDML)

IDML-OpenedAndSaved.png

Is there an explanation for that?

Uwe

• 5. Re: Why can't delete contents of TextFrame?
                  Javed_ali Adobe Employee

Uwe, that's precisely whats wrong with the document, the disconnect that the story editor has with the actual document. It is somehow showing a paragraph symbol even though its not there.

I tried this with InDesign CS6 and CC 2014 Mac\Win and in all cases am getting the crash. Maybe you should delete the paragraph symbol and also the table in the story editor because thats what happens in the layout (one delete has to delete the table since the paragraph character is missing).

Exporting the doc to IDML fixes this issue and hence the crash goes away.

Regards

Javed

• 6. Re: Why can't delete contents of TextFrame?

@Mohammad – I tried getting a crash or at least a hang of InDesign by deleting the paragraph sign or the table itself. In different ways, with or without the story editor. It did not happen. InDesign was so kind and did not crash or hang ;-) So maybe a difference, that comes along by using a different OS? You tested on Windows, I tested on OSX 10.7.5.

And yes, IDML fixes the problem. That's the good news…

Uwe

• 7. Re: Why can't delete contents of TextFrame?
                      daitranthanhoa Level 1

If Don't export to IDML, have you got other solution?

Because i copy table to other TextFrame  by code ( not Guide) Or

Keep Table and delete other characters

I don't know when my data will occur this  problem.

• 8. Re: Why can't delete contents of TextFrame?

@daitranthanhoa – ah yes, then, yes then I'd recommend passing the table through an IDMS export/place IDMS routine by scripting. That would basically do the same for "single" objects what IDML does for whole InDesign documents…

Just tested: Exported the text frame holding the table to IDMS, then placed the IDMS.
                        The "paragraph sign" is gone.

Uwe