7 Replies Latest reply on Sep 16, 2014 6:46 PM by pauledney

How do I force lightroom to (re)load an XMP sidecar file?

pauledney

Good morning from Boston!

I am new to Lightroom and just finished importing my Aperture library into Lightroom 5 on a Mac. For that, I followed the instructions on Adobe's landing page and Lightroom solutions. For those not familiar with the instructions, you essentially export all your originals with an XMP sidecar file and then export all the adjusted/edited files as 16-bit TIFFs. Then you add them all back into Lightroom and get everything back into Catalogs, Labels, Ratings, and such by using keywords that were added while in Aperture. It took forever, but worked pretty well overall. I had about <1% fewer images in LR5 than in Aperture, which were likely suspected duplicates. So far, so good.

Here's is my problem. My keywords didn't always transfer over (the Keywording panel is empty). I did search forums and plug-ins, but seem to only find issues related to EXIF and GPS data. I also used "Metadata:Read Metadata from File" and "Metadata:Update DNG Preview & Metadata," which didn't do anything. I am suspecting that "Read from File" means "read from the image file itself but not from the sidecar file." Take file IMG_5888 as an example. This particular one was taken as RAW (.CR2) + JPEG on a Canon Rebel XS, but I am having the same issue with RAW only on my Canon EOS 6D. Same goes for JPG + XMP. Puzzling thing is that other files loaded just fine.

In the directory/folder where the file is, it looks like this:

IMG_5887.CR2

IMG_5887.JPG

IMG_5887.XMP

IMG_5887.dng

IMG_5888-2.JPG

IMG_5888.CR2

IMG_5888.JPG

IMG_5888.XMP

IMG_5888.dng

IMG_5889-2.JPG

IMG_5889.CR2

IMG_5889.JPG

IMG_5889.XMP

IMG_5889.dng

The .dng were generated by Llightroom. Now, the sidecar files typically have something like so in them (I cut out some keywords for clarity—you get the idea):

<rdf:Description rdf:about='' xmlns:photoshop='http://ns.adobe.com/photoshop/1.0/'>

</rdf:Description>

<rdf:Description rdf:about='' xmlns:dc='http://purl.org/dc/elements/1.1/'>

<dc:subject><rdf:Bag>

<rdf:li>Black Head Trail</rdf:li>

<rdf:li>Cliffs</rdf:li>

<rdf:li>Maine</rdf:li>

<rdf:li>Monhegan</rdf:li>

<rdf:li>RAW</rdf:li>

<rdf:li>Sunrises</rdf:li>

<rdf:li>United States</rdf:li>

<rdf:li>Waves</rdf:li>

</rdf:Bag></dc:subject>

</rdf:Description>

So, the keywords were exported from Aperture, but for some reason, Lightroom isn't always loading them from the XMP file.

On a related note, the keyword hierarchy that was exported as text file from Aperture and imported into LR5 worked well. Everything appears to be there and in its place.

Any ideas for a Lightroom rookie as to how I can get LR5 to read those XMPs? Over 20,000 didn't tag, so I would rather not do this by hand!

Many thanks in advance,

Paul

• 1. Re: How do I force lightroom to (re)load an XMP sidecar file?
          dj_paige Level 9

I certainly haven't tried moving from Apertue to Lightroom, so I have never had this issue, but here's a simple thing you can try.

Select a file (or group of files) and then from the Lightroom Metadata menu, select Read Metadata from Files.

• 2. Re: How do I force lightroom to (re)load an XMP sidecar file?
            pauledney Level 1

Thank you, dj_paige. I had tried that (second paragraph in my "essay"). I think it reloads the data inside the image file, such as EXIF, but doesn't read the XMP sidecar file, so keywords do not populate.

Cheers,

Paul

• 3. Re: How do I force lightroom to (re)load an XMP sidecar file?
              dj_paige Level 9

Are the tags actually in the XMP files? You can open one of the XMP files with a text editor, and see if the expected tag is in there.

• 4. Re: How do I force lightroom to (re)load an XMP sidecar file?
                pauledney Level 1

Yes, they are there. The second part of the post that starts with <rdf:Description ...> is copied straight out of the XMP file. The <rdf:li> tags precede the keywords that should have been read.

--P.

• 5. Re: How do I force lightroom to (re)load an XMP sidecar file?
                  john beardsworth Adobe Community Professional & MVP

>> I am suspecting that "Read from File" means "read from the image file itself but not from the sidecar file.

Almost. It means read from the image file for all file types except proprietary raw files, and read from the sidecar file only for raw files.

>>"Metadata:Update DNG Preview & Metadata"

This means save the metadata that's in LR back into the DNG files, overwriting what's there.

Maybe try creating a test catalogue, copying that folder, and removing the JPEGs. Then import into the test catalogue. My theory is that LR is preferring the metadata in IMG_5888.JPG, and that it has no metadata. Removing the JPEGs would force LR to read from the CR2.

John

• 6. Re: How do I force lightroom to (re)load an XMP sidecar file?
                    pauledney Level 1

Thank you, John. That makes sense as I was beginning to suspect that the problem did not happen with raw files from the 6D shooting in raw only. (The Rebel XS still seems to have a problem with the direct raw import, but that has been documented on other forums. I can open them in Photoshop, however).

On a related not, if you are the John I think you are, I read your excellent article on migrating to LR. This saved me many headaches for everything else, so thank you, thank you, thank you! Having read the article again—and with what you just suggested here—I am thinking of starting over with an export of raw originals in from Aperture to one directory tree (raws) and the jpegs to another tree (jpegs only). The TIFFs with baked in adjustments came across just fine, so I won't tinker with those. This will take a few days, so stay tuned; I'll let you know what happens.

Cheers,

Paul

• 7. Re: How do I force lightroom to (re)load an XMP sidecar file?
                      john beardsworth Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Yes, same person! Glad you find the article worth re-reading - it's trying to walk a fine line between giving a very clear path and addressing issues that, as you've found, can be quite tricky.

John

• 8. Re: Re: How do I force lightroom to (re)load an XMP sidecar file?
                        pauledney Level 1

John, what a pleasure. Well, here is the update. First, copying over 300GB of pictures to a drive and then backing up said drive takes a bloody long time. But here is what happened, for others who might run into the same issue.

I first tried a small set of files to narrow down whether the issue was the Aperture export or the Lightroom import.

Conclusion: the "issue" is mostly on the Lightroom side.

What I found: Although Aperture will export an XMP sidecar for a JPEG, Lightroom will not read it, ignoring all keywords. I exported a set of JPEGs only and then opened the XMPs with an editor (well, the UNIX cat command, to be exact). The information was there, keywords and all. However, LR appeared to ignore XMP for JPEG. That said, if you have a RAW+JPEG in Aperture, the RAW XMP sidecar will overwrite the JPEG one, effectively leaving you with only the keywords for the RAW version. That shouldn't be an issue for most, but just in case you have different keywords for your RAW and JPEG images, be aware of this.

What I did:

1. Back up all the images and catalogs/libraries from Aperture and LR.
                        2. Make sure #1 worked out.
                        3. Make sure #1 worked out (not a typo; you really need a backup, as you will find out below).
                        4. Delete the old JPEG files that were uploaded into LR. I had them in a From Aperture folder, as instructed by John's article and Adobe's landing page (referenced in John's article), so I deleted all JPEGs in that folder. My Aperture database was not affected and in fact resides on a different drive.
                          • Run find . -iname "*.JPEG" -delete   [if you do not know how 'find' works, ask someone, as this can potentially delete every single file accessible to your computer!]
                          • Run find . -iname "*.JPG" -delete    [ditto! Don't tell me I didn't warn you!]
                            • This is why you need to backup everything. I was deleting copies/exports of the originals in Aperture (again, read John's article for the difference) and still had the originals in Aperture, on a different drive.
                          • [I didn't worry about the unmatched/orphaned XMP files for the JPEGs only; they are tiny and don't hurt.]
                        5. In LR, select 'Library:Find All Missing Photos.' If asked, remove them from the Catalog only.
                        6. Create a Smart Album in Aperture and include only 'Filetype is JPG.'
                        7. Select all images in that album.
                        8. Export those original images per Adobe's landing instructions, but for this set of images, select 'Include IPTC' instead of creating a sidecar file.
                        9. When Aperture is done, open LR and Add the whole 'From Aperture' folder back to LR (make sure 'Ignore suspected duplicates' is selected.

John, as you rightfully pointed out, this is tricky. If my experience is any indicator, I would suggest migrating in 3 steps:

1. Export all RAW originals with IPTC in XMP sidecar files.
                        2. Export all non-RAW originals (which I would guess are mostly JPEGs) with IPTC included. (not a sidecar)
                        3. Export all versions as 16-bit TIFF.

If #2 is added, then the process is actually most straightforward. Steps 1–5 in the first block above were to clean up the mess that I had created and should not happen otherwise (famous last word...)

If the above is unclear, please let me know and I will expand on it. If I had the issue, I suspect others will as well.

Thank you for your help and suggestions. I am officially migrated to LR and up and running!

Cheers from Boston,

Paul