10 Replies Latest reply on Sep 19, 2014 2:36 PM by JEShort01

Video Playback is not Smooth (stutters during MPE playback in Hardware mode, but not Software mode.

FelixUnderwood Level 2

Okay, this problem has dogged me from the day MPE was introduced, with I believe was with CS4, perhaps CS5. If I play back a timeline, regardless of the number of layers, in MPE software mode, playback is smooth but I have to render the entire Sequence. If I switch to MPE hardware mode, I get stuttered playback (yellow line), where it seems to periodically hold on a frame then release. This even occurs in the source window before it ever gets to the Sequence. I used to blame Matrox until July 2013, when I finally ditched my MXO2 LE/w Max for good (I kinda miss those days of blaming every problem on Matrox!). So, the next thing you're going to want to know is hardware specs: Win 8.1 Pro on a i7-4930 Ivy Bridge Extreme, 64 gigs RAM, NVidia GTX 780 Ti, I thought I'd take HD throughput out of the equation by getting rid of them and putting in 6 1Tb SSDs in a RAID 5 with an Intel RAID card, but that made no difference. The asymmetrical video playback occurs on both my external monitor and the computer monitor. Media is primarily AVC100 Intra/1920x1080i 29.97 shot on P2 cards, though all media types exhibit the same stuttering characteristics. Also, my backup editing computer which has a Sandy Bridge Extreme CPU, 32 gigs of RAM and a Titan card, exhibit the exact same behavior. Any thoughts? I'd love to get this one resolved.

• 1. Re: Video Playback is not Smooth (stutters during MPE playback in Hardware mode, but not Software mode.
          Bill Gehrke Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Run our Premiere Pro BenchMark (PPBM) to determine what is wrong with your setup.  You do not tell us what version of Premiere you are currently running.  If you have moved up to CS6 or later go to the current benchmark site.  If you are at CS5 go to our old site and report your results here as we no longer update that web site.

Also RAID 5 is not good for Premiere

• 2. Re: Video Playback is not Smooth (stutters during MPE playback in Hardware mode, but not Software mode.
            FelixUnderwood Level 2

Bill,

I signed up for the PPBM, so as soon as I get authorization, I'll download and run the test. As far as P-Pro goes, I stay just as current with software as I do with hardware. I'm running the CC 2014 Suite.

• 3. Re: Video Playback is not Smooth (stutters during MPE playback in Hardware mode, but not Software mode.
              FelixUnderwood Level 2

Bill, I just submitted the results from my test. Ironically it took longer to submit my results (multiple attempts) than it did to perform the 4 tests! Please let me know what you find and whether there's a smoking gun in my test results that might point to the source of my stuttering video playback problem.

• 4. Re: Video Playback is not Smooth (stutters during MPE playback in Hardware mode, but not Software mode.
                JFPhoton Level 3

...I believe Bill asked you to report your results HERE... on this forum post....as he no longer  visits the old site to post any new results.  With the newest version of PPro  2014, AND your quality components, you should be having NO playback problems....if all is setup and run correctly.

As  Bill said,, the RAID 5 setup may be the culprit....he can advise what to do.

Other things that can cause playback issues :

1.  video card not being " enabled" for use by PPro for Mercury Acceleration....make sure it IS enabled, and NOT " greyed out"  in selection box. If it I greyed out.. apply the well known " hack" to enable it.

2. Sequence specs NOT matching those of the clips you are editing....if any doubt how to match, use the " new item" icon to create the right sequence automatically by dragging a clip onto it.

3. Use of " non-accelerated" effects, which could also be poorly threaded, that can choke the timeline. However, THIS usually causes a RED bar above the timeline.... indicating it MIGHT be difficult to play....YELLOW means it SHOULD play OK without the problems you mention.

4. Fouled up memory assignments for PPro under "preferences"....make sure it is set correctly. Sometimes emptying caches and " trashing" preferences by resetting them can alleviate problems. Also, switching between GPU and Software and BACK again to GPU can help sometimes....deleting previews, if asked.

5. Proper "tuning" makes a big difference...as well as setup.   Not sure how to advise regarding your RAID 5...others can help. Setting Windows page file to a STATIC amount on the C drive.....and limiting C drive to ONLY OS, programs, and pagefile, is a good start. The REST can go on a fast RAID,or, divided up onto various drives. Using SSDs in a RAID is still tricky,from what I have read. Many are just using LARGE CAPACITY Samsung 850 Pro series,or, Crucial M550 INDIVIDUAL SSDs ...the speed is read and write over 550 MB/sec. each.

• 5. Re: Video Playback is not Smooth (stutters during MPE playback in Hardware mode, but not Software mode.
                  JFPhoton Level 3

......oops....WRONG!!...Bill SHOULD see your results on the CURRENT PPBM test. Although I submitted results on the current test a month ago....but, did not see them posted....so, it may be best to ALSO mention them here.

• 6. Re: Video Playback is not Smooth (stutters during MPE playback in Hardware mode, but not Software mode.
                    FelixUnderwood Level 2

JF, thanks for all that. Here are the results of my PPBM test:

29, 72, 19 & 417. I don't know where they stand in order of performance with others who have taken the test, but that doesn't matter. What does is whether there is an indication in my results which might lead to a cause in the playback not being smooth.

• 7. Re: Video Playback is not Smooth (stutters during MPE playback in Hardware mode, but not Software mode.
                      JFPhoton Level 3

...something appears wrong with your numbers for the test results. Is 417 your "total time ", which is the total of the H264 test, the mpeg2 DVD test, and the disk i/o test ? By comparison, my total time with my Haswell Asus laptop was 339 seconds : 186 for H264, 57 for mpeg2 DVD test, and 96 for the disk i/o test. What is the correct breakdown on your numbers ? Of course,, Bill would be a great help here.....if the 417 was your " disk i/o " result ALONE....you would have a storage problem. If 417 is your  correct " total time"...it would be WELL BELOW where it should be, with your top notch hardware.

• 8. Re: Video Playback is not Smooth (stutters during MPE playback in Hardware mode, but not Software mode.
                        JFPhoton Level 3

...just looked at the current PPBM results page. If your correct total time is 120 seconds, you have one of the fastest machines tested, ranking number 4, of all machines. I still am not sure what your "417" means...your first 3 numbers appear to be very fast...what you would expect from your hardware.

• 9. Re: Video Playback is not Smooth (stutters during MPE playback in Hardware mode, but not Software mode.
                          Bill Gehrke Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Sorry, but I do not get going as early as some of you.

1. The 417 number is not the total time.  It is the time it takes to export with CPU only the MPEG2-DVD timeline. 
                          2. Your total time is the first three numbers 29 + 72 + 19 = 120 which a great total!
                          3. The first number 29 is the Disk I/O export time and is 1279 MB/second and surprising good for that RAID 5 configuration.
                          4. The second number of 72 seconds is the export time of the H.264 timeline and is great.  This time has been reduced significantly by CC 2014 changes.
                          5. The third number of 19 seconds is great (especially for a single GPU) this is the time it takes to export your MPEG2-DVD timeline with GPU acceleration.
                          6. The fourth number of 417 seconds is the time it takes to export the MPEG2-DVD timeline with only CPU,  A true measure of the CPU performance.

As an example my best scores with an older hex-core CPU well overclocked with two GPU's and RAID are "27","82","15","501" compared to your  "29","72","19","417".  Hence I am not sure that the hardware of your setup is the problem.  Are you sure that you had "Maximum Render Quality" checked for these results

Sorry have to run.

• 10. Re: Video Playback is not Smooth (stutters during MPE playback in Hardware mode, but not Software mode.
                            JEShort01 Level 4

Felix,

Your PPBM7 scores are strong and consistent with your very powerful PC.

Why don't you try playing the H.264 timeline back at full resolution and see if you get any dropped frames (h.264 timeline from PPBM7 test files). As a reference, using a dual-Xeon and CC 2014, I get zero dropped frames (without rendering). If you pass that test with flying colors too, and I'm sort of expecting you will, then I'm thinking you may have something in your workflow that might be "single-threaded" that might be causing the glitches in your normal playback on your projects. (3rd party filter, etc.)

Regards,

Jim

And to JFPhoton,

The 4th "score" is the DVD export w/o hardware assistance. It is used for the MPE score, or "ratio" of improved performance using a GPU and MPE. (417 / 19 = 21.9)