5 Replies Latest reply on Oct 19, 2014 10:59 PM by Rogue Seahorse Media

Touch Apps for Android...

Rogue Seahorse Media Level 1

I know this is an old question, but with Android devices outselling apple devices and technology advancing in Android faster than Apple, why is it Adobe is abandoning touch apps for Android? My Samsung Galaxy Note Pro 12.2 and Galaxy Note 3 are perfect for that app. There are more filmmakers and designers using Android powered products out there than people realize. So, please, Adobe, give us these apps. Especially if you are developing apps in the same way you allow us to develop, there should be NO REASON for you not to be able to flip a switch and spit out an Android version.

That being said... I still love and support you.

• 1. Re: Touch Apps for Android...
          Warunicorn Adobe Community Professional

As far as I know, Adobe isn't abandoning Android development. The update for PS Touch was released not too long ago (and even quickly fixed an issue with the Camera Fill feature I was having on the Google Nexus 7 2013 when I alerted them to it). Lightroom Mobile is coming. I don't know about Photoshop Mix though (although I'm not sure I care about that one; it feels like a watered-down version of PS Touch).

"Flipping a switch" is not the way I would explain it. e.g., There are Samsung users that are having problems with certain effects in PS Touch that only affect them. (Why, I don't know; graphics processor used, maybe?) Android has a huge swath of devices and hardware setups vs. Apple's set-in-stone hardware. Not saying Apple is better or worse; just an observation. Personally, I love Android.

• 2. Re: Touch Apps for Android...

I see your point about the diversity of Android products. Could be

problematic in terms of development.

I use both products, but I am far more satisfied with my Android

experiences these days.

Thanks for the info... It's just when you look at the main "Mobile" page on

the website, there is nothing for Android.

Cheers,

Courtney Jones

Pod Intermedia - www.PodIntermedia.com

206.588.5244 - Direct

Check out the latest project from Pod Intermedia called "The Courier"

by CLICKING

HERE <http://www.thecouriermovie.net/>

On Mon, Sep 15, 2014 at 4:45 PM, Warunicorn <forums_noreply@adobe.com>

• 3. Re: Touch Apps for Android...
              sebasll

They've recently released the Creative Cloud app on Android, however I have doubts Adobe is committed to offering the same apps they do on iOS to Android (Lightroom Mobile, etc.)

Everyone keeps saying Lightroom Mobile for Android is coming. Correct me if I'm wrong, but there's no evidence of this anywhere and this rumor has been going on for well over a year now.

My dissatisfaction with Adobe is that they charge all customers the same while only providing a fraction of the apps it provides iOS users to Android. So they get Android users money and spend it on iOS development.

Honestly, Android's device fragmentation should not be an excuse. These programs are memory intensive and running them on lower specced devices and Android versions bellow KitKat 4.4 would result in a poor user experience. As such, one could expect Adobe's Mobile user base to have reasonable expectations. Around 25% of Android users are already running KitKat and that alone is significant.

I don't think it's right we get charged the same, yet we cannot take advantage of the same mobile apps...despite their execution being possible on both platforms.

What do you guys think?

• 4. Re: Touch Apps for Android...
                Warunicorn Adobe Community Professional

sebasll wrote:

They've recently released the Creative Cloud app on Android, however I have doubts Adobe is committed to offering the same apps they do on iOS to Android (Lightroom Mobile, etc.)

Everyone keeps saying Lightroom Mobile for Android is coming. Correct me if I'm wrong, but there's no evidence of this anywhere and this rumor has been going on for well over a year now.

My dissatisfaction with Adobe is that they charge all customers the same while only providing a fraction of the apps it provides iOS users to Android. So they get Android users money and spend it on iOS development.

Honestly, Android's device fragmentation should not be an excuse. These programs are memory intensive and running them on lower specced devices and Android versions bellow KitKat 4.4 would result in a poor user experience. As such, one could expect Adobe's Mobile user base to have reasonable expectations. Around 25% of Android users are already running KitKat and that alone is significant.

I don't think it's right we get charged the same, yet we cannot take advantage of the same mobile apps...despite their execution being possible on both platforms.

What do you guys think?

It definitely hasn't been a year since Lightroom Mobile was announced. When did it get released for iOS? June? I remember reading about it eventually coming to Android but can't remember which site I read it off of.

It's not that Android is hard to develop for. (From all the devs I talked to, it really isn't.) I think John Nack (who left Adobe for Google back in February) was one of the people behind the initial "touch apps" push with apps like Photoshop Touch and Kuler, which itself was actually a $9.99 paid app before it went defunct. (If I also recall, the paid Kuler app was pulled down from the App Store at the same time only to pop up later as a free app.) I'm thinking they had to do a reset in that regard (e.g., Kuler being re-titled, "Color").

It's not like Adobe's kept us totally in the dark. They did release the Creative Cloud app. Photoshop Touch was on Android first before iOS by months if I remember right. (I was one of the first to dive in with version 1.0.)

It's a lot like how Ambient Designs has a version of ArtRage coming for Android but can't say exactly when, though they will say it's soon. (And it's been quite awhile since they had a version for iOS.) It's just the nature of business.

• 5. Re: Touch Apps for Android...

Don't get me wrong... I absolutely adore Adobe, but... Android is sold more world wide. You would think that there would be at least the app for Premiere or Prelude... There should definitely be a version of Photoshop. A real version like the one they released for iOS.

I get that iOS is glossy and cut, but I ditched my iPad for a Galaxy Note 12.2 fo I could have some real resolution and the S-pen... Not to mention TRUE MULTITASKING! I'm not unhappy with my move at all.

What I am unhappy with is, when you see the page for all the mobile apps, I don't see ANY for Android. Really?! That's why I say that they are abandoning Android. Now, we all know that Adobe pulls thing out of a hat, but I'm certainly not feelin' the love on my devices. SHOW US SOME LOVE, ADOBE!