6 Replies Latest reply on Apr 20, 2016 4:16 AM by sunilgarg7

How to call a TOC of a differant help file

sunny0082
      Hi,

I want to know how to call a differant chm's TOC using Robohelp X4
        • 1. Re: How to call a TOC of a differant help file
          Peter Grainge Adobe Community Professional (Moderator)
          I think the only way to do that would be to create a merged help system. That will merge the TOC, the index, the search and the glossary.

If that doesn't suit your purpose, then perhaps some more information about why you want to call the other CHMs TOC would help.

• 2. Re: How to call a TOC of a differant help file
            sunny0082 Level 1
            Thank you,
            That would help I think.
            We have two products with two help files in differant drives. Lets Say product A and Product B. We want to call Product B in Product A.
            One more thing, Product B will get updates frequently. I guess if we merge projects The link to Project B will not get updated. So is there any other way to link both TOC's.
            • 3. Re: How to call a TOC of a differant help file
              The two CHM files must be in the same folder.

I am not talking about merging the projects but merging the outputs, hope that was clear. The way it works is you tell Project A that it has a child project, Project B. Then whenever Project A's CHM finds itself in the same folder as Project B's CHM, they work as if they were one. If you update Project B, create a new CHM and put it in the same folder as Project A's CHM, then they still work as one.

Create a couple of test projects, take a look at RH's own help and try it.

• 4. Re: How to call a TOC of a differant help file
                sunilgarg7

Hi everybody,

can some body help me in getting achieved following use-case scenario for ROBOHELP

I want to be able to hide some particular topic on the basis of some string passed to robohelp script url ,

my purpose is to hide particular set of topic in help content on the basis of different type of user like Admin, normal user, guest user,

So is there any way to hide a set of topic by passing some kind of parameter or setting something on the fly after the output is generated, is there any way to differentiate things

thanks!!

• 5. Re: How to call a TOC of a differant help file

There are many threads on this requirement.

Dynamic User-Centric Content and Dynamic Content Filtering give users the ability to select different groups of topics but preventing them from seeing content other than theirs is a different matter. You would need to create different outputs and your developers would have to find a way to control access.

Peter Grainge

See  <http://www.grainge.org/> www.grainge.org for RoboHelp and Authoring information

@PeterGrainge

• 6. Re: How to call a TOC of a differant help file
                    sunilgarg7 Level 1

preventing them from seeing content other than theirs is what we require because the other way of creating separate output for different type of user or version of the system is a bit clumsy way of doing this because you need to maintain separate copies of the same help,

Though  Build tags helps a lot in generating different types of output from same project but its still a overhead of maintaining different copies in the main product itself and also increases the overall size of our product, 

I want to know is there any functionality to provide that build tag in the url of the ROBOHELP calling script so that instead of generating different help output the programmer can directly navigate the user on the basis of its role using that build tag.

can somebody help me in suggesting this feature to the core Adobe Team, as it a necessary feature and have many use case of like people wanting different help for different version of their product, role based access of help, hiding of separate features of the product based on the license that current user is using

Thanks

Sunil Garg