24 Replies Latest reply on Sep 17, 2014 5:24 PM by Petteri_Paananen

Remove background grid

kelbellepdx

I am working off a document initially created in a Japanese version of INDD. I see this lime green grid on every page and I can't figure out how to remove it. I do not see "Hide Grid" in any of my menus. It is driving me crazy!

I'm using Windows and Adobe CC.

• 1. Re: Remove background grid
          Ellis home Level 4

It should be on View/Grids &Guides/Hide Baseline Grids. If not let us know.

• 2. Re: Remove background grid
            kelbellepdx Level 1

Thanks Ellis, But that's not it. My Baseline Grids are already set to "Hide" and those green lines are still there! I called Adobe tech support and they were stumped too, but talk about customer service - they are researching and will get back to me.

• 3. Re: Remove background grid
              Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

Don't hold your breath waiting for that call back.

I think the lines you see are probably a part of the Japanese interface. They might go away if you edit the styles or run the file through IDML.

• 4. Re: Remove background grid
                kelbellepdx Level 1

Peter, do you mean to save them as IMDL and then re-open as INDD?

• 5. Re: Remove background grid

Yes, but it may not do a thing.

• 6. Re: Remove background grid
                    kelbellepdx Level 1

Darn, it didn't do anything. Thanks for the suggestion though!

• 7. Re: Remove background grid
                      Laubender Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Is this grid "printing" ?

Can you show a screenshot?

Is it tied to text?

Uwe

• 8. Re: Remove background grid
                        kelbellepdx Level 1

Green-Grid.gifHere's just a bit of the page. The teal and red are the guides and the green is not disappearing when I hide guides. The green grid is there when I add a new page or spread, so it's not tied to anything. I've tried hiding all layers too and it is still there.

The grid doesn't print; it's definitely a guide/grid of some sort as it goes away when going to presentation view (w) ...

• 9. Re: Remove background grid

Can you provide an empty document that is showing this grid exported to IDML for downloading on a service like dropbox?

Is the grid visible with a fresh new document?

Uwe

• 10. Re: Remove background grid
                            kelbellepdx Level 1

Not if I create a new document, but I'm working off of 200+ page documents and I don't have the time to copy + paste every page into a new document page, you know? I can work around it, it's just making me dizzy.

Here is a link: Dropbox - Test page with green grid.indd

• 11. Re: Remove background grid

These lines are definitely part of the Japanese composing system, and I suspect there is no way to get rid of them without the Japanese version.

• 12. Re: Remove background grid
                                kelbellepdx Level 1

I have a feeling that is the correct answer but I don't want to believe it ... argh. Thanks everyone for your help.

• 13. Re: Remove background grid
                                  Ellis home Level 4

As Peter Spier suggested, it has to do with the Japanese interface. As a CC subscriber you can install the Japanese version and on the View menu you'll see an option under Grids & Guides to Hide Layout Grid.

• 14. Re: Remove background grid
                                    kelbellepdx Level 1

I CAN?!?!?!? That would be amazing. But then would all the commands be in Japanese? Oh well, worth a try. Will do at end of this work session. Thanks everyone.

• 15. Re: Remove background grid
                                      Ellis home Level 4

The menus and everything remains in English. You just get the additional features of the Japanese version.

• 16. Re: Re: Remove background grid

@kelbellepdx – I had a deep look at your provided InDesign document, exported to IDML and opened that in different versions of InDesign: CS4, CS5.5, CS6… Even in CS3 after exporting INX from CS4. The grid stays.

Then I unzipped the IDML file and inspected the Preferences.xml in the Resources folder.

I found code that is hinting at the green grid your are seeing:

<CjkGridPreference ShowAllLayoutGrids="true" ShowAllFrameGrids="true" MinimumScale="50" SnapToLayoutGrid="true" ColorEveryNthCell="10" SingleLineColorMode="true" ICFMode="false" UseCircularCells="false" ShowCharacterCount="true">
                                                <Properties>
                                                    <LayoutGridColorIndex type="enumeration">GridGreen</LayoutGridColorIndex>
                                                </Properties>

Now I know what you are seeing in your document: A layout grid.
                                        And we can control its color with the CjkGridPreferences. Currently the LayoutGridColorIndex is set to the UI Color GridGreen.

We could change that to White. So it will be "invisible", if you are using the "normal" InDesign definition of the color [Paper] with your document.

I wrote a little code in ExtendScript (JavaScript) that will do this for you.

//DESCRIPTION:Will set the layout grid to WHITE
                                        app.activeDocument.cjkGridPreferences.layoutGridColorIndex = UIColors.WHITE;

If you are not familiar with using scripts read the following:

http://www.danrodney.com/scripts/directions-installingscripts.html

I tested with the provided InDesign document on Mac OSX 10.7.5 and InDesign CC-2014.

Oh, and if you want it back in a different UI-Color, look at the right code here:

Adobe InDesign CS6 (8.0) Object Model JS: CjkGridPreference

Adobe InDesign CS6 (8.0) Object Model JS: UIColors

The enumeration originally used in terms of ExtendScript was: UIColors.GRID_GREEN

Uwe

• 17. Re: Re: Remove background grid
                                          kelbellepdx Level 1

Ok, I'll try that - but how do I get that script into the Scripts Panel folder (I found that, thanks). Do I put it on a txt file to save in there? Sorry, this is over my head! But it's worth a try.

• 18. Re: Re: Re: Remove background grid

@kelbellepdx – ah, yes…
                                            This is not explained on Dan's website I linked to.

1. Copy the code to a text editor. Or use the ESTK (ExtendScript Toolkit app that comes along with every CC installation).

2. Make sure that it is text-only; no formatting allowed (like in rtf or doc files)

3. Save it with a meaningful name and give it a suffix: *.jsx

You should be able to see and to use it immediately from InDesign's Scripts Panel, if it lies in the Scripts Panel folder without restarting InDesign. Double-click it from there to start the action, if your document is open and the active one.

I tested the code with InDesign CC-2014 on Mac OSX-10.7.5.
                                            It is not an AppleScript, plain ExtendScript (JavaScript). Therefore the suffix jsx.

If you like you could add a simple alert at the end of the code like that:

//DESCRIPTION:Will set the layout grid to WHITE 
                                            app.activeDocument.cjkGridPreferences.layoutGridColorIndex = UIColors.WHITE;
                                            alert("Done!");

Make sure that you do not copy the line numbering over from code view!
                                            That would break the script.

If you hover over the script with the mouse in the Scripts Panel, the text that comes after //DESCRIPTION: will be made visible as a tool tip.

You can write your own comments into the code starting a line with a double slash like that: //

//This is a single-line comment. Nothing in this line will be executed.

Multiline block comments are also possible:

/*
                                            This is my multiline
                                            block comment.
                                            */

Uwe

• 19. Re: Remove background grid
                                              Petteri_Paananen Level 4

...or then just

1. export your job to idml...

2. rename .idml > .zip and unzip it

3. navigate to extracted files and open Preferences.xml Uwe mentioned to text or code editor

4. change  CjkGridPreference ShowAllLayoutGrids="true" to CjkGridPreference ShowAllLayoutGrids="false"

5. Save the file (overwrite old version)

6. zip-package files and folders

7. rename .zip > .idml

8. Open it to InDesign

• 20. Re: Remove background grid
                                                kelbellepdx Level 1

This worked Uwe!!

I was able to create the jsk file using notepad and then using the instructions for you and that link, it worked! I think I might change "DONE!" to say, "THANK GOODNESS FOR UWE!!"

Thanks everyone. You have saved a very nauseous pregnant lady's sanity ... and possibly my lunch, too - looking at that green made my head swim

Kelly

• 21. Re: Remove background grid

@Petteri – did you try it this way? Changing "true" to "false"?
                                                  Maybe I did something wrong, but I tried exactly this and got an error about a missing plug-in when I tried to open the edited IDML in InDesign CC-2014. Perhaps opening the edited IDML is only possible with a Japanese version of InDesign CC-2014?
                                                  Just my assumption – until reading your message, of course…

Will try it again later and let you know…

Uwe

• 22. Re: Remove background grid
                                                    kelbellepdx Level 1

Not sure if this will help at all, but Adobe Support was able to tell me the document was created using CS2, with a plug-in that Adobe no longer supports.

• 23. Re: Remove background grid

Just tried again editing the IDML file. Worked very well :-)
                                                      Thank you, Petteri for pointing this out.

This time I did not unzip it, but opened the IDML with Springy app on Mac OSX, navigated its folder structure from that, used Springy's "Edit with…" feature, selected Apple's Dashcode app for that purpose, changed "true" to "false" in Preferences.xml and saved back to Springy. Saved the IDML with Springy and opened the saved IDML with InDesign. The grid was gone…

Uwe

• 24. Re: Remove background grid
                                                        Petteri_Paananen Level 4

I used Mac´s textEdit and trick worked with it too.... but thanks for the tip, Springy sounds really good, I definitely have to try it since I have have to deal with these idml´s every now and then and unpacking and re-packing of them can be a pain...