4 Replies Latest reply on Sep 16, 2014 4:05 PM by ECBowen

I need good reasons to upgrade from my 2009 Mac Pro.

wrecktv Level 1

Hello,

I am a new hire at a company that is making me work on a 2009 Mac Pro for heavy After Effects and Premiere projects.  I am proposing a new Mac Pro, but the company tech team is PC based, doesnt understand the video production world and they dont understand why I cant keep using what i have.

Here are the specs for my current Mac Pro:

Mac Pro Early 2009

2x2.26 GHz Quad-Core Intel Xeon

16 GB RAM

NVIDI GeForce GT 120 512 MB

2 internal 1 TB HDs

OSX 10.9.3

Currently Adobe CS5 Production Premium is installed.

I am proposing this setup:

• Processor: 2.7GHz 12-core Intel Xeon E5 Processors

with 30MB of L3 cache

• Memory: 64GB (4x16GB) of 1866MHz DDR3 ECC

• Graphics: Dual AMD FirePro D700 GPUs

with 6GB of GDDR5 VRAM

• Internal Hard Drive (OS and Application Drive): 1TB PCIe-based flash storage

• External Hard Drive (Work Drive): PROMISE Pegasus2 R6 12TB (6 by 2TB)

Thunderbolt 2 RAID System

• Disc Drive: External Blu-ray/DVD/CD Burner (with Media & Toast 11 HD)

(Disc Drive availble on OtherWorldComputing.com)

• Adobe CC 2014

• Premiere CC

• After Effects CC

• Media Encoder CC

• SpeedGrade CC

• Illustrator CC

• Photoshop CC

(other info: I shoot and edit footage from the Canon C100 and 5D Mark III)

So I came from a company that wanted to have a fast setup to keep the animation and editing process moving as fast as possible.  So the recommended setup I have above is the setup I was using before.

The problem is that when the tech department (I.S.) for my new job sees the minimum requirements posted by Adobe for AAE and AP, they think I am okay with what I have (aside form maybe a upgraded video card).  I need hard stats and figures that will convince my company to purchase a faster Mac Pro.

Can anyone share some info that I can use to back my argument?

Here is the email I have constructed so far:

Adobe After Effects and Premiere are powerful animation and editing programs if they are given plenty of RAM, Video card VRAM and multiple GPUs.  Working in the mimimum requirements will get me by, but at a cost of VERY slow render and processing times.

2009 Mac Pro Bench mark test with After Effects:

http://www.barefeats.com/nehal04.html

Note the 151 second benchmark test speed for the model this company currently has.

2013 Mac Pro Bench mark test with After Effects:

http://www.barefeats.com/tube19.html

Note that the benchmark speed test of 37seconds for the model below what we are recommending.  As they havent yet test the faster 12 core computer.

Premiere Pro system requirements:

http://helpx.adobe.com/premiere-pro/system-requirements.html

Though it's optional, the video card should be at least 1GB of VRAM.  This is a non-professional bare minimum.

Article on the Mercury Playback Engine for Adobe Premiere:

https://forums.adobe.com/message/3377595

Thanks in advance for any help in selling a PROFESSIONAL EDITING setup.

• 1. Re: I need good reasons to upgrade from my 2009 Mac Pro.
          Todd_Kopriva Level 8

See this page for information about hardware for Premiere Pro and After Effects: http://adobe.ly/pRYOuk

Those resources can build a strong case for more and faster CPUs and more RAM, not to mention a GPU that Premiere Pro can use for acceleration.

• 2. Re: I need good reasons to upgrade from my 2009 Mac Pro.
            ECBowen Most Valuable Participant

The X99 Haswell E system will be a far better investment with AE and Premiere than the new Mac Pro. The 8 Core 5960X CPU far outperforms the 12 Core in the Mac Pro especially in Premiere and with Nvidia GPU's for the GPU acceleration. Also the 900 series Nvidia GPU's are releasing very soon so the disparity is going to increase. The DDR4 ram with the Haswell along with the 8 Core clocked over 4GHz has a very large impact on AE performance especially ram preview. AE is almost all CPU processing and ram performance. The cost of the X99 would be far less than the nMPro as well. Since the IT there is already Windows based I suggest you look at that versus the nMPro at this point. Keep in mind the dual GPU's in the nMPro do very little to help with the performance right now and Open CL doesn't perform nearly as well as CUDA with Adobe. The nMPro's will not get updated to Haswell E anytime soon so PC is the only way to go for that platform right now.

Eric

ADK

• 3. Re: I need good reasons to upgrade from my 2009 Mac Pro.
              wrecktv Level 1

Thanks for the recommendation on the x99 Haswell E system.  The specs look impressive.  However, we are locked in on the Apple OS due to a larger team of collaborators that are also using Apple computers.  Changing to a PC is not an option.

• 4. Re: I need good reasons to upgrade from my 2009 Mac Pro.
                ECBowen Most Valuable Participant

No real reason anymore you cant collaborate with OSX users and Adobe on a Windows system.

Eric

ADK