14 Replies Latest reply on May 1, 2015 3:21 PM by A.T. Romano

Gray spots when using Green Screen

carol.tracy

When I use green screen feature, I am getting gray spray painted effect across the top.  I have changed the lighting, the camera and it's still there -- just changes slightly.  Can someone help?

• 1. Re: Gray spots when using Green Screen
          A.T. Romano Level 7

carol.tracy

What version of Premiere Elements are you using and on what computer operating system is it running?

Could you post a screenshot of this gray spray painted effect across the top of your frame after you have used Premiere Elements' Green Screen Effect? Is it a top edge effect or an effect that presents within the top upper portion of the frame's content?

You say you have changed the lighting and camera, what about the green background itself?

Preparation for green screen photography is very important as you know. If you have assured you are using state of the art green screen preparation, then we should go over applying the Premiere Elements Green Screen Effect. Depending on the results, it might be to your advantage to use ChromaKey instead of Green Screen Key.

But, getting a look at what you are seeing should be a good start to getting to the core of your issue.

We will be looking forward to your follow up.

Thank you.

ATR

• 2. Re: Gray spots when using Green Screen
            carol.tracy Level 1

I decided to ditch Elements and instead have moved to Power director.  I

have a professional quality green screen, lighting and cameras.

On Mon, Sep 15, 2014 at 11:08 PM, A.T. Romano <forums_noreply@adobe.com>

• 3. Re: Gray spots when using Green Screen
              A.T. Romano Level 7

carol.tracy

Thanks for the update.

We are glad that you found a video editor that works for you in your green screen projects.

If you ever decide to revisit Premiere Elements as your video editor for this purpose, we would be glad to be

of assistance based on an exchange of information in a thread format. I would have liked to have seen a screenshot of what you had encountered. (I do not work for Adobe...just user to user, all visitors here.)

Best wishes.

ATR

• 4. Re: Gray spots when using Green Screen
                carol.tracy Level 1

I will see if I can come up with a screen shot for you.  I'm sorry if I

seemed frustrated... I was very frustrated when it was happening and could

not get Adobe to take my call or help me.  I also could not get help from

the store that sold me the lights, green screen, camera and software.  I

will see what I can do to put the video back together and get a screen

shot. 

On Tue, Sep 23, 2014 at 9:18 PM, A.T. Romano <forums_noreply@adobe.com>

• 5. Re: Gray spots when using Green Screen
                  A.T. Romano Level 7

carol.tracy

Many thanks for you reply.

I do not want to make extra work for you. Curiosity is one of my shortcomings.

If your schedule permits, fine. But, if not, I am content knowing that you are moving forward

with your projects.

Best wishes

ATR

• 6. Re: Gray spots when using Green Screen
                    annj79850773

Hi.  I am having a similar problem.  Shadowy spots, etc.  I know that it is due to uneven lighting and some wrinkles on the green screen.  My setup is decent but not professional.  However, I know that a lot of that can be corrected for in Pro.  You can essentially make the background a 'matte' by using certain adjustments (I had read some tutorial where there was an adjustment within Ultra Key which started with 'ped' - can't remember what it is now but anyway, I don't see any of those things in Premiere Elements.)  Are there any ways to improve the quality to get to a cleaner green screen effect in Premiere Elements?  Maybe using the other matte or alpha key effects somehow or are there are some adjustment levels that I am not aware of?  I feel like at some point I am going to be shopping for new software if I can't get it to look better.  I'm no professional, so I don't need all the function (or cost) of pro and creative cloud, but I need to get the green screen better.  Adding to my issues is that I have the Mac version, which isn't quite as robust as PC.   

I would much appreciate any suggestions you have.  Other than this, I am pleased with the program. 

Thanks,

Ann                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                              

• 7. Re: Gray spots when using Green Screen
                      A.T. Romano Level 7

Ann

What version of Premiere Elements and on what computer operating system is it running?

If you are using a Mac computer, then your keying effects choices are limited as compared to if you were using Premiere Elements Windows. Premiere Elements Mac does not have ChromaKey, Green Screen Key, or Blue Screen Key. Premiere Elements Mac does include Videomerge which is not on my preferred list of choices of green screening.

What are using now to create the transparent area in your green screen footage?

If Mac computer involved, please look at fx Effects/Keying/Difference Matte.

If Windows computer involved, please look at fx Effects/Keying/ChromaKey and Difference Matte.

ATR Premiere Elements Troubleshooting: PE11: Difference Matte As Substitute for Green or Blue Screen Key

Please review and consider and supply more details.

Thank you.

ATR

• 8. Re: Gray spots when using Green Screen
                        annj79850773 Level 1

Thanks for your reply ATR.  I am using Premier Elements 13 on OS X Yosemite 10.10.1

Video merge is effective to key out the color, I imagine much the same as the more specific blue or green screen available for windows.  I can see my subject in front of the new background.  BUT,  it's just a matter of needing serious tweaking to get the shadows/ gray spots caused by uneven lighting out of there.

Are there adjustments (i.e. shadow or lighting effects) that can be just used on one part of the screen or just the alpha channel or something?  I'm trying to think outside the box to get a (much) cleaner effect.  How can I get a matte effect on just the background to make it transparent?

So far as the difference matte goes, I don't have the third video which would be 'just green screen' to try it.  I'm curious to see what the 'alpha channel' effect can do for me.  I've read about it but it doesn't really show me an example of how to use it.

• 9. Re: Gray spots when using Green Screen
                          A.T. Romano Level 7

Ann

I will work on a fuller reply in the morning.

With regard to

So far as the difference matte goes, I don't have the third video which would be 'just green screen' to try it

Depending on how things progress, please check out the following for creating a color matte for this "just green screen" component.

ATR Premiere Elements Troubleshooting: PE: Color Matte Color Matching Experimenting

More later. I still think that Difference Matte is the way to go.

Thanks for the follow up.

ATR

• 10. Re: Gray spots when using Green Screen
                            annj79850773 Level 1

Thank you ATR, I will have to check out the difference matte when I get more time.

But since I have you here (  perhaps you can help with my most pressing issue?  I did some basic editing to some skits we filmed for a kids' birthday party.  I wished to share them so I chose 'Private Web Album'.  After the long rendering time, it told me there was an 'Online Services Error'.  I tried several times with several videos.  One time it worked and the other four (or so, over two days) it did not.  My internet was running just fine.

So then, I just decided I would just go the old fashioned route and create the file on my computer. I went to publish and share/ export files for viewing on computers.  I chose 'MPEG' Preset 'MPEG2 1920x1080i 25.  When I went to open the file on my computer, I could not.  The file extension shows as 'm2t' which doesn't seem as common as other formats.  I want most people I know to be able to open the file with out some special player.  And I also want to be able to upload to Youtube, and upon looking, this isn't a supported format.  Isn't there just plain old MPEG4 or something?  I see mp4?  Can you please advise, first I guess on why the Private Web Album might not be working, then on the file type?

Thanks again,Ann

• 11. Re: Gray spots when using Green Screen
                              A.T. Romano Level 7

Ann

Did you try refreshing the Edit Menu/Preferences/Web Sharing and its Online Services?

Based on my Premiere Elements 13/13.1 Windows 7 or 8.1 64 bit computer environment (NTSC set up)....

The Publish+Share/Private Web Album (Adobe Revel) choice will result in an upload of the Timeline content to an AVCHD.mp4 file (1280 x 720 @ 29.97 progressive frames per second) in your Adobe Revel Library. In your computer environment (PAL System), I am not sure if that will be 1280 x 720 @ 29.97 progressive frames per second or 25 progressive frames per second...but you can customized the frame rate....see below).

If you wanted to export your Timeline to a comparable file saved to the computer hard drive, then please check out

Publish+Share

Computer

AVCHD

with Presets = MP4 - HD720p24 and then change the frame rate from p24 to p25 under the Advanced Button/Video Tab of the preset.

or

with Presets = Vimeo HD or YouTube Widescreen HD which has the frame size 1280 x 720 but will need the frame rate change under the Advanced Button/Video Tab of the preset.

Most, if not all, of those presets can be customized for frame size and frame rate and other under the Advanced Button/Video Tab. Other customizations can be in Audio Tab, Multiplex Tab also under the Advanced Button.

Please review and then let us know if any of the above worked for you.

Thanks.

ATR

• 12. Re: Gray spots when using Green Screen
                                A.T. Romano Level 7

Ann

I forgot to mention...if you wanted a MPEG2.mpg file instead of MPEG2.mts, then use

Publish+Share

Computer

MPEG

and Presets = starting with HD TV... in name.

If you use the ones starting with MPEG2..... in the name, then you will get the MPEG2.m2t.

ATR

• 13. Re: Gray spots when using Green Screen
                                  annj79850773 Level 1

ATR - thank you.

My edit menu doesn't have a preferences option.  Must be a Mac thing...sometimes the whole Publish and Share menu blanks out and I can't see any options on it at all...

I tried the difference matte using green screen footage from another video I had shot (which didn't have the subject for a moment).  Unfortunately, the difference matte didn't work as well as just plain video merge.  I'm sure the reason it didn't work that well is that there are probably color/ lighting differences in the two green screen backgrounds since I took the other footage at a different time...

Feel free to share other thoughts if you have any.  Otherwise I will just wrestle with it...One thing I am curious of though, is if your windows/ 'green screen' effect works any better than my mac/ 'video merge' effect or if it just a matter of my footage being beyond help in Premier Elements..

• 14. Re: Gray spots when using Green Screen
                                    A.T. Romano Level 7

Ann

As mentioned previously, just I am just an Elements Windows user so my Mac information is second hand.

I do not recall you looking for Mac preferences...please see if the following Adobe document helps locate them

Preference file locations | Photoshop Elements and Premiere Elements

If you need to go after the Premiere Elements Mac Editor settings file, I think the route is

Users/Library/Application Support/Adobe/Premiere Elements/version number and the Adobe Premiere Elements Prefs file (what the settings file is called in Windows) should be there.

The appearance and disappearances in Publish+Share are of concern. And, I wonder if the settings file deletion would be enough to fix that situation. It may come to uninstall/free ccleaner run through (regular and registry cleaner parts)/reinstall (if applicable, with antivirus and firewalls disabled).

CCleaner - Download

But the usual questions which impact that serious program issue might be

1. Latest version of QuickTime installed...programs run as administrator?

2. Video card/graphics card driver version up to date according to web site of manufacturer of card?

3. Not working with pen and tablet device?

4. Problem exists with or with antivirus and firewall(s) disabled?

Please consider.

Thank you.

ATR