8 Replies Latest reply on Mar 26, 2015 10:34 AM by gjoshi4u

I keep getting the 'blue screen of death' (BSOD) when using Indesign?

JackofHearts Level 1

My 2 colleagues and I are running wWindows 64-bit i7.

We have recently done the Indesign update (2014.0 Release, 10.0.0.70 x64 Build). All three computers are experiencing the same problem. We will be working on Indesign and at some point and seemingly unprovoked the PC’s will simply crash. A blue screen with writing appears on my PC and a black screen with the same text and reboot options on my colleagues newer  PC’s. This can happen 3 times in a day and then not again for a week and then all of a sudden it will happen 3 consecutive days.

It’s very sporadic, happening when I just open the software or after having it open for hours. The file sizes don’t seem to take an effect as I’ll be working on one large file, close it down and open something a fraction of the size and 10min later... crash, only half the work is saved.  

I have asked my I.T. guys to take a look and they couldn't tell me much. The blue screens stopped happening for about a week so they closed my case.

Is anyone else experiencing this? I am assuming it is caused by the update.

• 2. Re: I keep getting the 'blue screen of death' (BSOD) when using Indesign?
          Dov Isaacs Adobe Employee

There is absolutely nothing that the programming of InDesign or any other Adobe application can do on a properly functioning computer to cause a BSOD.

BSODs can only be caused by one of the following:

(1)  Malfunctioning hardware including processor, memory, disk driver, video card, etc.

(2)  Malfunctioning (i.e., buggy) physical device drivers that operate in privileged mode in the operating system. This would include video and GPU drivers.

InDesign is an application program that in the event of “crashes” due to bugs, bad data, etc., would at worst yield a Windows error message about the program terminating, never a BSOD.

That having been said, the way InDesign and other Adobe applications use OS drivers and hardware certainly could trigger BSODs due to the two factors mentioned above. These applications use much more memory, real and virtual, than simpler applications such as Microsoft Office applications. You may be exercising memory and with frequency that you wouldn't otherwise encounter. Adobe applications are very aggressive with use of video drivers and GPUs (when available) to optimize performance. Thus, video and GPU drivers as well as the underlying hardware are being exercised in a manner that you won't commonly see elsewhere.

My recommendations to combat your BSOD problems are as follows:

–     Make sure you have all the latest OS updates as well as device driver updates.

–     Run intensive diagnostics against your system, especially memory, disk, and your video card(s).

- Dov   

• 3. Re: I keep getting the 'blue screen of death' (BSOD) when using Indesign?
            JackofHearts Level 1

Thank you Dov Isaacs and John T Smith,

You were both correct.

About 5 weeks ago I upgraded the RAM in my PC and it turns out one of the 4 memory sticks are faulty. Why my IT company was not able to figure this out before... a mystery.

As for the other 2 PC's, one is still a mystery, though we haven't ran the memory test on it yet and the other was related to a driver problem unrelated to adobe.

In any case, I'm back in business. Thanks again.

• 4. Re: I keep getting the 'blue screen of death' (BSOD) when using Indesign?
              ngelkins

I would like to hop onto this question.  I know the company answer is "There is absolutely nothing that the programming of InDesign or any other Adobe application can do on a properly functioning computer to cause a BSOD"

I find that difficult to believe since this NEVER happens to me when I am using any other program besides the newest upgrade of Adobe InDesign.  This only started happening after the most recent update to InDesign CC software.  It only happens while I am placing a new graphic in an InDesign document.  Happens exactly at the moment when I click to place the graphic.  No other time.    Happens both in InDesign 2014 version and the previously installed version.  I can work for weeks in any other program that's not InDesign and I will not see this issue.  In InDesign, it happens exactly at the same moment each time.  It is not the typical blue screen of death, here is the a picture.  My whole computer then reboots.

20140916_124055.jpg

I would really like some support with this issue.  All OS updates (Windows 7 Pro 64-bit) are current. 

• 5. Re: I keep getting the 'blue screen of death' (BSOD) when using Indesign?
                BobLevine MVP & Adobe Community Professional

Whether you find it difficult to believe or not, that’s the way it is.

A quick google search for this will give you plenty of hits and none I see is in the least bit related to InDesign.

This is not being caused by InDesign directly though ID could well be calling system resource that it is causing the crashes. This is not the days of Windows 3.0. The last blue screen I saw was 3 years ago just before a harddrive crapped out. Before that it was 5 years ago and turned out to be a known issue with a network driver.

• 6. Re: I keep getting the 'blue screen of death' (BSOD) when using Indesign?
                  TavTHF Level 1

I'd like to back this guy up.

To say categorically it is NOT the fault of an Adobe product is understandable if not a little short sighted.

We have recently updated a bunch of PC's at my studio to After Effects CC 2014 and are experiencing the exact same problems. Previously running AE CC non of the computers experienced BSOD however since the update they are now crashing sporadically whilst using the program.

I think it would be advisable to at least entertain the idea the there is a fault in the software rather than flat out denying it.

• 7. Re: I keep getting the 'blue screen of death' (BSOD) when using Indesign?
                    Dov Isaacs Adobe Employee

On behalf of Adobe ...

We are absolutely not denying that you are seeing system crashes, BSODs, etc. The question is what is causing them and what can be done to remedy the situation.

However, if you actually fully read my response of September 15, you will understand that although Adobe applications run in a protected mode that absolutely cannot crash the system, these applications do call operating system services and drivers not written, distributed, or controlled by Adobe in any way, shape, or form. They may come from the OS provider (Apple or Microsoft) or a hardware vendor (NVIDEA, ATI, etc.) These operating system services and drivers just like applications programs do have anomalies (i.e., bugs) but in their case, they can cause the system to “hang” (i.e., become unresponsive) or “crash” (including automatic reboots and in the case of Windows, the feared BSOD).

Adobe applications make extensive and heavy use of the features of video drivers including use of any available video card GPUs (graphics processor units) for complex computations and data manipulation, possibly to a degree to which the writers of those drivers have not either planned for or tested for. That may trigger such crashes. Ironically, recent versions of Microsoft Office and Internet Explorer also have been seeing similar crashes and hangs, all directly attributable to flaky video drivers.

You should check regularly for video card / processor driver updates. In the case of NVIDEA, there seems to be bug fix updates on almost a monthly in not more frequent basis. Such updated video drivers may resolve your particular issues.

- Dov

• 8. Re: I keep getting the 'blue screen of death' (BSOD) when using Indesign?
                      gjoshi4u

Hello,

while I agree that BSOD is caused by kernel drivers but it does not deny the fact that user mode application can make driver to crash the system.

I have seen this with Adobe Indesign where the adobe process tries to access a file by its content instead of file path. As per MS, MAX file path size could be 260 which is extremely violated by adobe indesign by accessing the file on its content in place of path. This causes the driver to copy the file path way over the allocated memory of 260 bytes leading to memory corruption.

I get a BSOD while launching Adobe Indesign

Please note, there can not be a check for every case in kernel mode else it will impact the system performance badly.