6 Replies Latest reply on Sep 16, 2014 6:50 PM by BenPleysier

Dreamweaver CS4 - Update Template Files dialog box doesn't appear

Michael_S_J Level 1

I've just made a small change to my website's template file in Dreamweaver CS4, but I can't figure out how to apply the change to all pages on my site.

As I understand it, a dialog box is supposed to appear immediately after you hit 'Save'. This gives you 'Update' or 'Don't Update' options.

The box does not appear for me. No idea why - I saved the revised template and nothing happened!

Is there another way of updating the webpage files with the revised template? Or can it only be done though the dialog box? If so, how can I bring the box up?

Thanks for any tips, tricks, or explanations...

• 1. Re: Dreamweaver CS4 - Update Template Files dialog box doesn't appear
          BenPleysier Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Have a look at how the Dreamweaver template system works.

In this example, the template is called myTemplate.dwt.php and resides in the Templates sub-directory. When I create a child page, this is what I see

<!doctype html>

<html><!-- InstanceBegin template="/Templates/myTemplate.dwt.php" codeOutsideHTMLIsLocked="false" -->

<head>

<meta charset="utf-8">

<!-- InstanceBeginEditable name="doctitle" -->

<title>Untitled Document</title>

<!-- InstanceEndEditable -->

<!-- InstanceBeginEditable name="head" -->

<!-- InstanceEndEditable -->

</head>

<body>

</body>

<!-- InstanceEnd --></html>

If I save the template after a modification, I will be confronted with a dialog asking if I want to update the child pages.

If I change the name or location of the template, the child pages will not be found, hence will not be updated.

My assumption is that you have renamed the template and that therefore the link has been broken

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Dreamweaver CS4 - Update Template Files dialog box doesn't appear
            Michael_S_J Level 1

All I've done is change one link that I discovered went to the wrong place, then clicked ''Save All' on the File menu.

The 'Save' option itself is greyed out. The only available options I have are 'Save All',  'Save As',  'Save As Template', or 'Save to Remote Server'.

Is the greying-out of the simple 'Save' option relevant?

Would this do as a workaround?

Click 'Save As Template'

Then save the template under the same filename, which in my case is pagelayout_reboot2.dwt

Presumably I will then get a warning message that will say something like 'page ayout_reboot2.dwt already exists. Do you want to overwrite it?'

Click 'Yes'.

Existing version of the template (with the incorrect link ) is overwritten with the revised template (with the correct link) - and this change takes place sitewide - in theory!

Would that work?

• 3. Re: Dreamweaver CS4 - Update Template Files dialog box doesn't appear
              Michael_S_J Level 1

Well, I have now managed to get one step further….

I discovered that it was not possible to change the incorrect link on my template using the Property Inspector. The change could not be saved - hence the greyed-out 'Save' option.

The only way to change the link was to select the link-text on the template, click on 'Insert', then 'Hyperlink', and then put in the correct link.

Then, when I go
              to the 'File' menu, the 'Save' option is available. I click on 'Save' and the dialog box comes up, asking me if I wish to update all files that use the template.

I click 'Update' - and the updating process seems to work. Except, when I look at the update log, no updates have actually been made.

Here's a screenshot:

screenshot_log.jpg

I don't understand why it says 'files which could not be updated = 0' but also says 'files updated = 0' Isn't that a paradox? If it is possible to update all files, then they should get updated!

So, it seems I can now successfully modify my template, and save the change. But updates to pages made with the template won't work.

Where do I go from here?

• 4. Re: Dreamweaver CS4 - Update Template Files dialog box doesn't appear

You have broken the model.

I suggest that you start again and this time follow the rules. Have a look here Web development tutorial | Creating & applying Dreamweaver templates | WebAssist

• 5. Re: Dreamweaver CS4 - Update Template Files dialog box doesn't appear
                  Michael_S_J Level 1

Well, I'm not sure what rule I've broken. I followed the procedure set out in that tutorial to make my template in the first place, although I used Janine Warner's book 'Teach yourself Dreamweaver CS4' which goes through the same steps as the web tutorial - with the exception of the 'Apply your Dreamweaver template' section, which seems to suggest that you create your web pages first, and turn them into templates later.

I simply created my basic page layout, saved it as a template, and then created every page on my site by clicking 'New from template'. No problems, everything worked well.

I don't see why it would be necessary to create a new page from a template, and then apply the template to the page. Doesn't that amount to using two different methods to do the same thing twice? In any case, there's nothing in the book about 'Applying' a template, so I didn't do it. That's the only point of difference. But is it the problem? Is the book wrong?

Now I've got the book open in front of me at page 196 - 'Edit a template to update web pages created with it'. Interestingly, I may have discovered why it was not possible to edit my link in the Property Inspector.

The book remarks, more or less as an afterthought tacked on to the end of the page, that in order to use the Property Inspector to edit a template, I must first click on the element I wish to edit and then click 'Modify', 'Templates', and 'Make Attribute Editable'. Only then can changes be made.

The book says nothing about editing elements *without* using the Property Inspector, as I attempted when I tried the 'Insert Hyperlink' method, so I'm not sure whether this is possible or not. As it didn't work for me, I'd say not - but it would be nice if the book was specific on this point!

It's amazing how vague some of these tutorials can be - and also rather baffling that they can differ so much from each other. Website construction is all about specifics after all - everything is either 100% right, or 100% wrong. There shouldn't be any room for fuzziness. As it seems I have a specific problem, it must come from a specific, identifiable cause. It should be possible to say, "Ah, now if THAT is going wrong, the error must be HERE. Fix it by doing THIS."

Well, I'll try making the attributes of my elements editable now. I'm not sure if a text link counts as an element (that's another point on which my book is a little vague), but I dare say I'll find out shortly!

• 6. Re: Dreamweaver CS4 - Update Template Files dialog box doesn't appear

I simply created my basic page layout, saved it as a template, and then created every page on my site by clicking 'New from template'. No problems, everything worked well.

So far no problem.

To edit the template, i.e. the non-editable regions in the child pages, simply open the template in Dreamweaver, make the changes, no matter what or where, save the modified template and a dialog box will show asking if you want the associated child pages to be updated. If you answer with a no, then you can always update the children at a later stage when you again save a modified template. It's that easy, no problem no confusing tutorials required. 

1 person found this helpful