5 Replies Latest reply on Sep 17, 2014 4:42 AM by mdeg

Range comparison

mdeg

Hi all,

I'm new in FDK and try to compare two ranges to define which of them is the first one in the document. But I didn't find any function in FDK.

Does anybody know ways to do it?

• 1. Re: Range comparison
          Jeff_Coatsworth Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Now why would you ask in the unstructured FM forum when there’s a whole forum devoted to Scripting?

• 2. Re: Range comparison
            mdeg Level 1

Hi Jeff,

sorry, but I don't understand your question. I wrote my question in the All communities -> Framemaker -> Discussions, how there is related to the scripting only?

And how my question is related to unstructured FM? I work with the structured mode.

• 4. Re: Range comparison
              Russ Ward Level 4

mdeg,

What do you mean by "range"? Do you mean a text range, and you want to know which range occurs before the other in the respective flow? If that's the case, I think you would need to do the following, assuming the ranges start in different paragraphs:

- Find the text frame for one of the paragraphs, likely with the InTextFrame property of the textrange.beg.obj object

- Get the parent flow object, likely with the textframe.Flow property

- Get the first paragraph in the flow, likely with flow.FirstTextFrameInFlow.FirstPgf

- Iterate over all paragraphs in the flow, likely with the pgf.NextPgfInFlow property

- The first one that you get to that matches one of your textrange.beg.obj objects means that textrange occurs first

If the two ranges start in the same paragraph, where textrange1.beg.obj = textrange2.beg.obj, you could just skip all that and compare the offsets.

If one or more of the ranges are in a table cell, footnote, etc, the whole process becomes significantly more complex. Too much to address here.

Russ

• 5. Re: Range comparison
                mdeg Level 1

Thank you Russ.

Your answer is quite enough to start the implementation.