13 Replies Latest reply on Sep 17, 2014 4:38 AM by Peter Spier

CC 2014 keep crashing

ananggadipa Level 1

I have newly created document, that if I hit Enter (paragraph break) it always crashing (self quit).

I've tried saving as IDML but no success.

This is my crash report: Indesign Error - Pastebin.com

Is there anyone could help?

• 1. Re: CC 2014 keep crashing
          AnshulJain19 Adobe Employee

Hi,

Is it document specific or happening with any newly created document. If it is happening with every document then please try cleaning your preferences and cache from following paths:

Windows: C:\Users\<USER>\AppData\Roaming\Adobe\InDesign\<Version #>\<Language>\

Macintosh: Hard Drive/Users/<USER>/Library/Preferences/Adobe InDesign/<Version #>

Windows: C:\Users\<USER>\AppData\Local\Adobe\InDesign\<Version #>\<Language>\Caches\

Macintosh: Hard Drive/Users/<USER>/Library/Caches/Adobe InDesign/<Version #>/<Language>/

If this does not resolve your issue, try uninstalling and installing InDesign again.

Thanks

-Anshul

• 2. Re: CC 2014 keep crashing
            ananggadipa Level 1

Thanks for your answer, I've tried deleted preferences before by holding ctrl cmd opt shift when reopen InDesign, but problem still appear.

Not for all new document, but several document I'm working on it now.

When I try export it said cross reference not update, is it could be the problem?

• 3. Re: CC 2014 keep crashing
              AnshulJain19 Adobe Employee

Try deleting them manually as shortcut only deletes preferences. On which OS you are experiencing it.

If it is possible can you please upload a sample file in which issue can be seen.

-Anshul

• 4. Re: CC 2014 keep crashing
                Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

ananggadipa wrote:

When I try export it said cross reference not update, is it could be the problem?

yes

• 5. Re: CC 2014 keep crashing
                  ananggadipa Level 1

Okay, I've open the folder, what files do I need to delete?

Screenshot 2014-09-16 19.37.36.png

Peter Spier looks like that's not the problem. I've delete all cross references but problem still appears.

I have probability that it's caused by footnote (I place the document from Word).

• 6. Re: CC 2014 keep crashing

In that folder you need to delete or rename InDesign Defaults.

You also need to go to Hard Drive/Users/<USER>/Library/Caches/Adobe InDesign/<Version #>/<Language>/ and remove or rename InDesign SavedData

• 7. Re: CC 2014 keep crashing
                      ananggadipa Level 1

Done that. Problem still appearing.

Looks like that's not the problem.

AnshulJain19 Where can I send the files? But please keep the file, because it's for my client work and not yet published.

• 8. Re: CC 2014 keep crashing
                        ananggadipa Level 1

AnshulJain19 Peter Spier here's the file of example of cases: [link removed by moderator]

I've created new document and paste to it and problem still appears.

Please help me.

Edit: I really is because of footnote. When I hit enter it makes the footnote to divided to 2 part. On the footnote it shows blue triangle (play button symbol) before it exit.

Edit 2nd: And I found the alternate way to fix it: to copy several paragraph break simultaneously, so the footnote don't have a time to divided in two section.

I think I found a bug?

• 9. Re: CC 2014 keep crashing

I think you file is corrupt. I managed to trigger the crash here, so I copied the text frames and pasted into a new file and it is no longer crashing.

• 10. Re: CC 2014 keep crashing
                            ananggadipa Level 1

Yup I've pasted into a new file before and it's still crashing.

When you paste to a new file make sure set the text frame to 2 column. And the keep the image and all content same.

When the footnote separated like I've said before, it will go crash again.

• 11. Re: CC 2014 keep crashing

I didn't see any image in the file you posted. And copied frames retain their column attributes (you do have to relink them across pages, though).

The file history says this file has crashed many times which is a source for cumulative corruption. If just copying the content toi anew file is not sufficient to solve the problem, try exporting the stories to InDesign Tagged Text and place the stories and images into a new file. If yo continue to have problems, it may be related to a bad image, or to a configuration problem of some sort on your computer.

• 12. Re: CC 2014 keep crashing
                                ananggadipa Level 1

Thanks, I jusf find out about the InDesign Tagged Text.

I've exported and import to the new file, with default 1 column it's okay.

When I apply it to 2 column and try hit enter several times, when the footnote get divided, it will crash.

Trust me, it's a bug, the problem will appear when footnote get divided between 2 page. Somewhat InDesign couldn't handle it.

If the footnote get through to other page it isn't problem.

• 13. Re: CC 2014 keep crashing

I am completely unable to make the program crash or to make the footnotes divide after copying to a new file, but if you think this is a bug, file a report at Adobe - Feature Request/Bug Report Form