0 Replies Latest reply on Sep 16, 2014 5:28 AM by porkypumpkin

Laptop options for use with PrE 11 (£500 ish)

porkypumpkin

Hello,

I'm currently looking to buy a laptop that will allow me to edit various video projects on the move using Premiere Elements 11 (may upgrade at some point). This will serve as my main editing device until I upgrade my desktop, then serve as a portable editing station as I will be at uni next year as well as traveling a lot this year. I do a mix of animation and live action short film work using 1080p footage from my Canon 600D. I am currently looking at the £500 mark, I know it's tough to get a good editing laptop at that price, but I'd rather not spend much more. Currently I have found 3 options, and was wondering if anyone had any advice. The aspects of each laptop I am concerned about are highlighted in red

Lenovo Z50-70 http://www.pcworld.co.uk/gbuk/laptops-netbooks/laptops/laptops/lenovo-z50-70-15-6-laptop-w hite-10022700-pdt.html?intcmpid=display~RR~Home+%3E+Laptops+%26+Netbooks+%3E+Laptops+%3E+L aptops~10022700

Overview:

Intel i5 processor (1.7 - 2.7 GHz)             Is this fast enough? The system requirements specify 2Ghz or faster, and this is only achieved with 'turboboost'

8Gb RAM

1Tb SSHD 5400rpm                               7200rpm is often stated as a minimum for editing, will I get by with this, especially as it's a hybrid drive, or will I have to use an external drive?

DVD/RWdisk drive

NVIDIA graphics card

Full HD 15.6" screen

1x USB 3.0, 2x USB 2.0, HDMI               Will I be restricted by only having a single usb 3.0 slot (for use with external hard drives etc)?

HP Envy 15 http://www.pcworld.co.uk/gbuk/laptops-netbooks/laptops/laptops/hp-envy-15-j151sa-15-6-lapt op-silver-10011520-pdt.html?intcmpid=display~RR~Home+%3E+Laptops+%26+Netbooks+%3E+Laptops+ %3E+Laptops~10011520

Overview:

AMD A10 processor (2.5 - 3.5GHz)          While this is significantly faster than the i5, Passmark gives the i5 a higher CPU rating PassMark - CPU Performance Comparison

8Gb RAM

1Tb SSHD 5400rpm

No disk drive                                          Frustrating, though external disk drives aren't too expensive

AMD graphics card

Fulll HD 15.6" screen                             I've read several comments that the screen isn't as bright as ideal, not a deal breaker, but I would like to be able to use the laptop outside

4x USB 3.0, HDMI

Dell Inspiron 17 http://www.dell.com/uk/p/inspiron-17-5748-laptop/pd?oc=cn74820&model_id=inspiron-17-5748-l aptop#secondaryContent

Overview

Intel i7 processor (2 - 3.1GHz)                    This is the draw factor of this laptop

8Gb RAM

1Tb HD 5400rpm

DVD/RW disk drive

NVIIDIA graphics card

Full HD 17.3" screen                                  As I'll be taking this laptop with me a lot, I'd rather it was 15" rather than 17", but the 15" version lacks the disk drive and full HD screen

1x USB 3.0, 2x USB 2.0, HDMI

Any thoughts/other suggestions in the price range would be appreciated.

Thanks