15 Replies Latest reply on Sep 16, 2014 12:04 PM by station_two

Not able to open Canon 6D raw file in PS CS5! Can i Upgrade from CS5 to CS6?

thebitored Level 1

I recently purchased the Canon 6D. I'm running Photoshop CS5 on my windows computer. I want to work in Camera Raw but I need version CS6 in order to do so. I'm having great difficulty getting a link to purchase the upgrade. I need help, please.

• 1. Re: Upgrade from CS5 to CS6
          rkelly0137 Level 4

Go to this link, select Buy, then there's a drop down menu where you can select Upgrade:

Creative Suite 6

That said, if the only reason you're upgrading is to open your 6D raw files, I would consider just using the DNG converter.  I did it for years with my old 450D (before upgrading to a 6D).  It's just one extra step that I did on import.  Or, even better, is to buy Lightroom, use that to import and do basic edits to your RAW files, and then use PS for more serious editing work when needed.

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Upgrade from CS5 to CS6
            Level 5

rkelly0137 wrote:

…if the only reason you're upgrading is to open your 6D raw files, I would consider just using the DNG converter…

Then you would be leaving a lot of image quality on the table.  There was a significant leap forward in the quality of the rendering of ACR 7.4 and subsequent versions through v. 8.6.

Not wise advice at all.

1 person found this helpful
            • 3. Re: Upgrade from CS5 to CS6
              JJMack Most Valuable Participant

Creative Suite 6

Adobe is pushing the cloud so be careful of the links you click on.  Click the Buy link for CS6 Standard or CS6 Extended a Pop_up will be displayed pushing the Cloud. Use the Pull-down to switch from full Photoshop CS6 to Upgrade. Standard will be $200 Extended $400. then click the correct select button not the default yellow one.  Photoshop is only available as a download. To  reduce cost Adobe no longer packages their software you need a Internet connection to download it.

Capture.jpg

• 4. Re: Upgrade from CS5 to CS6
                rkelly0137 Level 4

station_two wrote:

rkelly0137 wrote:

…if the only reason you're upgrading is to open your 6D raw files, I would consider just using the DNG converter…

Then you would be leaving a lot of image quality on the table.  There was a significant leap forward in the quality of the rendering of ACR 7.4 and subsequent versions through v. 8.6.

Not wise advice at all.

Do you have data to support that claim?

• 5. Re: Upgrade from CS5 to CS6

Tough CS6 works with ACR 8.6 the new features in ACR 8.6 are disabled when used as a CS6 Plug-in..  You get New Camera RAW file format support and old ACR features support.

• 6. Re: Upgrade from CS5 to CS6
                    Level 5

Plenty !

It has been discussed ad nauseam, ad infinitum in this very forum.

Noel Carboni even posted an excellent animated GIF of some geese that alternated between the two renderings, before and after 7.4 above.

Maybe Noel remembers the specific thread.  I'm, not about to do all the legwork for you or any other poster;  however, if and when I should come across said thread, I'll cladly post a link here.

• 7. Re: Upgrade from CS5 to CS6
                      Level 5

station_two wrote:

…if and when I should come across said thread, I'll cladly post a link here.

Here, found it:

Re: ETTR People Must Be Happy as Clams with PV2012

• 8. Re: Upgrade from CS5 to CS6
                        Level 5

ADDENDUM to my last post here:

Anyone working with any version of ACR earlier than ACR 7.x is using an obsolete, superseded technique and leaving image quality behind.  It's that simple.

• 9. Re: Not able to open Canon 6D raw file in PS CS5! Can i Upgrade from CS5 to CS6?

Some additional function and improvement in function has been added since ACR 7.4 nothing earth shattering.  Though it look like your using ACR 8.6 in CS6 you not getting all ACR 8.6 function.

Capture.jpg

Capture.jpg

• 10. Re: Not able to open Canon 6D raw file in PS CS5! Can i Upgrade from CS5 to CS6?
                            Level 5

I understand that, JJ.

My point here was to stress that ACR 6.x and lower had definitely inferior rendering than any version higher than 7.x, specially as of 7.4.

• 11. Re: Not able to open Canon 6D raw file in PS CS5! Can i Upgrade from CS5 to CS6?
                              Level 5

Can you elaborate on the "differences in the menu bar" please, JJ?

The only differences I see are what appears to be an Open Type or text icon, and that the Preview box has disappeared.

Capture.jpg

Nothing significant, I agree.

• 12. Re: Not able to open Canon 6D raw file in PS CS5! Can i Upgrade from CS5 to CS6?

I just want to point that out for ACR is the reason I signed up for the cloud.  Which actually lowered my cost of Photoshop.  I had always upgraded to Photoshop standard to get ACR. So Photoshop cost me the initial cost of Photoshop standard $700 and around $100 a year for upgrading.   Now Photoshop cost $120 a year but it for the extended version of Photoshop and I could also Lightroom if I wanted.

Some day maybe I will need Lightroom.   Adobe keep changing Photoshop removing features like Web Galleries and Picture Package, Add things to the Adobe Bridge like poorer Web Galleries and the export panel where panel convert image files to jpeg without opening Photoshop. Add features like Oil Painter to Photoshop then removes Oil painter  make Bridge output module an optional download removes the export panel from the Bridge and put an export feature in Ligthroom.  

ACR is well integrated into Bridge  as a plug-in and in Photoshop as a plugin and filter.  Bridge also works well with other Adobe Applications according to some thing I have read.  Lightroom on the other hand is not well intergrated with Adone Applications like Photoshop.  Lightroom can use external programs like Photoshop to enable  users to edit image in ways the Lightroon can not however the image files then are not compatible with lightroom   you would need to save flatten image file to use with lightroom and loose your work layers.  I don't waste my disk space  with lightroon  and it huge library database system.  I don't run a Photography Business I'm a retired men of leisure...

• 13. Re: Not able to open Canon 6D raw file in PS CS5! Can i Upgrade from CS5 to CS6?
                                  Level 5

JJMack wrote:

…ACR is well integrated into Bridge  as a plug-in and in Photoshop as a plugin and filter.

The ACR as a filter in Photoshop feature is a very valid point.

• 14. Re: Not able to open Canon 6D raw file in PS CS5! Can i Upgrade from CS5 to CS6?

station_two wrote:

Can you elaborate on the "differences in the menu bar" please, JJ?

Nothing significant, I agree.

No I can not  elaborate on the differences in the menu bar, the title bar and common features and I can not predict the future.  Some of the changes may just be in usability where in one use a spot and the other its a brush. When you can use many spots it easier to use a brush. 

Adobe development lacks a certain amount a discipline Adobe disrupt workflows  Adobe does not test code well and Photoshop versions are not compatible with prior version. The CS6 release was awful.  Adobe broke many features in CC with update 14.1 and fixed them in 14.1.2,   In version 15 Adobe remove  some flash support and the oil painter feature and broke the background eraser tool.  Some day Adobe may fix the tool. Adobe does not fix all reported bugs.  There are bugs that remain in Photoshop version after version.

• 15. Re: Not able to open Canon 6D raw file in PS CS5! Can i Upgrade from CS5 to CS6?
                                      Level 5

The CS6 release was awful

Not on the Mac, fortunately.