6 Replies Latest reply on Sep 17, 2014 9:10 AM by A.T. Romano

Adobe Elements Premier 11 wont allow me to select my audio clips in the "soundtrack" track.

klutzonwheels

Adobe Elements Premier 11 wont allow me to select my audio clips in the "soundtrack" track.  I cannot move, delete, or change in any way the clips I have on that track.  I read on another forum that others have the same problem.  On those forums Adobe acknowledged the problem.  This was in 2013.  Has this been fixed?  What can I do to restore the usability of these clips?  Thanks.

• 1. Re: Adobe Elements Premier 11 wont allow me to select my audio clips in the "soundtrack" track.
          A.T. Romano Level 7

klutzonwheels

What computer operating system is your Premiere Elements 11 running on? What workspace are you using, Expert or Quick?

If you open a new project does the problem exist?

What is the source and properties of these audio clips that you have "glued" to the soundtrack? While you cannot move, delete, or change the problem audio clips, can you

a. import audio clips of another format to that project's soundtrack

b. import the problem audio clips to one of the numbered Audio Tracks rather than the soundtrack.

While the audio clips are in the glued state,

a. what is the size of the project

b. have added narration clips to the Timeline - no problems there

c. have audio linked to video on one of the numbered audio tracks - no problem there

The answers may be in the details, so let us explore the details.

Thanks.

ATR

Add On...Additional thoughts, but let us start here and then decide what next based on your follow up.

• 2. Re: Adobe Elements Premier 11 wont allow me to select my audio clips in the "soundtrack" track.
            klutzonwheels Level 1

Thanks for the response ATR.  See my answers below:

What computer operating system is your Premiere Elements 11 running on? What workspace are you using, Expert or Quick?  Running Windows 8.1 on a very new computer.  Using both Expert and Quick.  Can at least select audio clips in Quick but cannot manipulate them.  Cannot select audio clips at all in Expert.

If you open a new project does the problem exist?  No.  New project test worked fine.

What is the source and properties of these audio clips that you have "glued" to the soundtrack? MP3 files from my hard drive.  Files are fine.

While you cannot move, delete, or change the problem audio clips, can you

a. import audio clips of another format to that project's soundtrack.  It's a mess.  I can import to another audio track and manipulate the clip but it plays over the original clip that I cannot manipulate. 

b. import the problem audio clips to one of the numbered Audio Tracks rather than the soundtrack. Yes,  See above.

While the audio clips are in the glued state,

a. what is the size of the project 1,816KB

b. have added narration clips to the Timeline - no problems there.  I have not added narration.

c. have audio linked to video on one of the numbered audio tracks - no problem there.  Yes, I have audio linked to the video tracks (audio which came with the video when I imported it to Elements).

Note:  I am able to open an Auto Saved version of the video with limited loss of work so this is the fall back plan.  However, I would rather know how to fix this... or better yet, have Adobe fix it!!

Thanks,

Klutz

• 3. Re: Adobe Elements Premier 11 wont allow me to select my audio clips in the "soundtrack" track.
              A.T. Romano Level 7

Klutz

Thanks for the reply with your results.

Right now you have no reason to believe that this audio problem exists in other than the present project.....as per problem does not present in a new project.

The issue is to salvage the existing project which may or may not be possible.

If you have an AutoSave before the soundtrack content lock, that would be a good salvage workaround.

Have you looked at repeated "undo" or Ctrl+Z to see if you can unblock the situation in the problem soundtrack? Do you recall your last project Timeline maneuver before the soundtrack content locked?

What happens if you use Project Archiver/Copy Project option for the problem project, open the copy of the project.prel in the Copied Folder, and try to work with the audio in the soundtrack?

I do not see Adobe coming into this since you do not have the current version, but you could ask. But, this type of issue has come up before for versions other than 11, some with homemade remedies, some with no remedy but to start a new project. The latter will probably be your answer.

We will be watching for your progress.

Thanks.

ATR

• 4. Re: Adobe Elements Premier 11 wont allow me to select my audio clips in the "soundtrack" track.
                A.T. Romano Level 7

Klutz

Just a quick add on...have you always worked with .mp3 soundtracks. Worthwhile for you to look at .wav moving forward?

ATR

• 5. Re: Adobe Elements Premier 11 wont allow me to select my audio clips in the "soundtrack" track.
                  klutzonwheels Level 1

Thanks for all the help and advice. I was able to rebuild the video using a

reliable auto save version. Lost maybe an hour and a half worth of work.

Beats having the entire video be unusable. Will look into using WAV files

in the future. Thanks again ATR,

Klutz

• 6. Re: Adobe Elements Premier 11 wont allow me to select my audio clips in the "soundtrack" track.
                    A.T. Romano Level 7

Klutz

Thanks for the follow up.

Glad that you were able to salvage a working portion of the problem project via an AutoSave.

We hope that is going to be your only time to run into that locked soundtrack issue.

But, if you do see this problem again in the salvaged project or others, please let us know.

Best wishes

ATR