9 Replies Latest reply on Sep 17, 2014 3:58 PM by seanduggan

Lightroom 5 cannot export files in original Raw format (LR 5.4, Mac, OS 10.9.4).

seanduggan

A client has the following problem: When trying to export files in the original Raw format (.CR2), the operation failed and a dialog informs us that "Some export operations were not performed". We can export JPEGs just fine.

After lots of testing, this is what we discovered:  The problem does not appear to be catalog-based; we run into the same problem using a test catalog.  The export operation works fine, however, with the same test catalog and images on two other machines, and it even works fine on the same machine with a new user admin account that we created. 

So it appears to be something associated with the user account, , or with how LR is interacting with the user account, but I cannot figure out what it might be. We can copy the Raw files when using the Finder to do so. But not via Lightroom.  Any thoughts, ideas of suggestion would be greatly appreciated!  Thanks, Sean

• 1. Re: Lightroom 5 cannot export files in original Raw format (LR 5.4, Mac, OS 10.9.4).
          ssprengel Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Where are you exporting to?  If you mix both JPGs and raws into your export-original batch do all the JPGs work and none of the raws, or is the failure for all files in a batch, which could be a permissions issue if you’re exporting JPGs and raws to different folders.  Another problem could be if the original master photos, themselves, are missing.  f course you’d also get an error if you tried to make adjustments to those missing photos.

• 2. Re: Lightroom 5 cannot export files in original Raw format (LR 5.4, Mac, OS 10.9.4).
            seanduggan Level 1

It does not matter where the files are exported to. Multiple hard drive destinations were tried (to a single folder on each drive), all had the same result. LR could not export in the original format from .CR2 files. The files are not missing and there is nothing wrong with the actual raw files (i.e., they can be opened in other programs, and exported fine when LR is used on a different machine, or on the same machine w/ a different user account).

• 3. Re: Lightroom 5 cannot export files in original Raw format (LR 5.4, Mac, OS 10.9.4).

I will ask this question, again:  if you mix JPGs and CR2s into the same Export-Original batch do the JPGs export but not the CR2s or do none export?

• 4. Re: Lightroom 5 cannot export files in original Raw format (LR 5.4, Mac, OS 10.9.4).
                JimHess Adobe Community Professional & MVP

In the file type for the exported file, are you using the "original" option?

• 5. Re: Lightroom 5 cannot export files in original Raw format (LR 5.4, Mac, OS 10.9.4).
                  seanduggan Level 1

>>"if you mix JPGs and CR2s into the same Export-Original batch do the JPGs export but not the CR2s or do none export?"<<

The image archive we were working with is Raw files only…no JPEGS, so that precise export configuration has not been tested (and I will not be able to test it until tomorrow). Raw files can be exported successfully as JPEGs, however, as well as DNGs.

>>"In the file type for the exported file, are you using the "original" option?"<<

Yes, Jim, that is correct.

• 6. Re: Lightroom 5 cannot export files in original Raw format (LR 5.4, Mac, OS 10.9.4).

The reason I ask about JPGs and CR2s mixed together is that you’re assumption seems to be that JPGs and DNGs export ok but raws do not.  What I’m trying to determine is if the Export as Original is the problem or if CR2s are the problem.

JPGs are usually smaller than CR2s so if the file-size seems to be part of the problem (export original of a mixed batch of JPGs and CR2s is successful with the JPGs but not the CR2s) then maybe there is a virus scanner or other security-type program is running when you export the CR2 files that isn’t allowing them to be written due to file-locking because the scanner is grabbing ahold of the file and locking it longer than LR is willing to wait for it to free up. 

Another possibility is that LR cannot copy original files no matter what their type, perhaps due to permissions of the source or destination folder for the user that is showing the problem, and/or the LR preferences that are in effect for the particular user that is having issues.

To test the mixed batch of CR2s and JPGs, you probably need to create a test folder of at least one CR2 and one JPG in it, and try to export originals with it.  That might also be a way to test is the source folder of the originals matters to whether it works or not.

• 7. Re: Lightroom 5 cannot export files in original Raw format (LR 5.4, Mac, OS 10.9.4).
                      seanduggan Level 1

">>What I’m trying to determine is if the Export as Original is the problem or if CR2s are the problem."<<

Ah, I see what you;re getting at. That is something that has not been tested yet, but I will do so tomorrow when I am at that location again.

Permissions have been checked and double-checked and they do not seem to be the issue. The test catalog functions fine under a different user account on the client's machine, and on different machines, hence my suspicion that there is something in the user account, or in LR's interaction with it, that is to blame.

Thanks for your suggestions!

• 8. Re: Lightroom 5 cannot export files in original Raw format (LR 5.4, Mac, OS 10.9.4).

As part of your testing make sure you've tried exporting JPGs from the same folder as the CR2s you're exporting as original, and export JPGs from CR2s to the same folder as you're exporting your originals.  This would test LR's read and write permissions from and to the folders being used.

From this document you can see that all the LR files other than the program, are under the /Users folder with different values possible for each user, so the difference could be that the users that work are using the original LR defaults, if you have just started using LR with them after you started having this problem, or at least that the user with the problem has some oddball settings that are interfering with Export as Original.

Preference and other file locations in Lightroom 5

You can test for the Preferences being off by either copying the preferences from a user that has the problem to a user that doesn't have the problem--probably through an external or common folder, or be deleting the preferences file from the user that has the problem and see if it resolves.  Moving the preferences file or renaming it may be better than deleting it if no change is seen, then you can restore the preferences back by moving or renaming the file back to the original location and name.

• 9. Re: Lightroom 5 cannot export files in original Raw format (LR 5.4, Mac, OS 10.9.4).
                          seanduggan Level 1

>>"As part of your testing make sure you've tried exporting JPGs from the same folder as the CR2s you're exporting as original, and export JPGs from CR2s to the same folder as you're exporting your originals.  This would test LR's read and write permissions from and to the folders being used."<<

JPEGs and CR2s exported as Original from the same folder and to the same export folder… JPEGs work, but CR2s do not.

We can also export a CR2 successfully as a DNG.

New catalogs created under different Mac user account work fine, but catalogs created under original user account have the same problem (unable to export CR2s in original format, or to export as a catalog).

I should add that, apart from this glitch, the catalog functions fine.