5 Replies Latest reply on Sep 16, 2014 9:49 PM by mblaney

Indesign Rotate Spread Problems :-(

mblaney Level 1

ugh, I constantly find these adobe programs to be a bit of a headache, here's something I cannot seem to figure out. I am making business cards in indesing cc (using mac os 10.7.5), for a Chinese company. The cards include an english font and a Chinese font, when I export the document I get a alter that says the Chinese font "STKaiti" (which comes with each program, or just standard with macs) cannot be embedded do to licensing restrictions, they however show up on exported pdfs fine without any problems. The problem I am having however is with the actual card rotations; some of my cards are the normal horizontal  rotation, others are vertical, I can see them fine and correclty on the main screen in indesign, however when I look under the pages tab, some of these cards are reversed by 180 degrees, and the horizontal cards are rotated 90 degrees clockwise, they also export this way. So the cards look fine in the large indesign window, but incorrect in the pages window which is apparently messing up the export. Is there some viewing option I might have selected that will show pages in a different rotation than what they actually are? I'm kind of at a loss right now, any help is appreciated, thanks.

• 1. Re: Indesign Rotate Spread Problems :-(
          Ellis home Level 4

Can you post a screenshot of the document and the pages panel to have a better idea of what you are looking at.

• 2. Re: Indesign Rotate Spread Problems :-(
            tman69 Level 3

"Is there some viewing option I might have selected that will show pages in a different rotation than what they actually are?"

you already are in that viewing option--to view the pages 'normally'--in the pages panel--click on a page--select the page options at the top of the pages panel--you should get a flyout menu and one of the choices will be 'clear rotation'--your pages will then display as they will export

the rotation in the pages panel actually only rotates your view of the page not the page itself--this function makes it handy when a backing page needs to be viewed for layout/typesetting, etc--or when a business card is a vertical format--that why the page outputs as formatted

Capture.JPG

• 3. Re: Indesign Rotate Spread Problems :-(
              mblaney Level 1

tman i tried what you noted but that is what I was doing originally the problem is that in the main window the spread doesn't match what the "pages" sidebar window, what your showing is the same thing I've been doing using the view-> rotate spread dropdown options, here is an image of what I'm seeing: indesign.jpg

This is page 8 of my document, look at how it show page 8 upside down on the "pages" sidebar. The problem is pages 1 and 2 show up fine in the main view and side bar, and then from page 3 on, every other page is shown upside down on the "pages" sidebar, or to put it another way every other page is rotated 180 degrees on the pages sidebar. If I try and rotate these pages in the main view the pages sidebar doesn't change.

• 4. Re: Indesign Rotate Spread Problems :-(
                tman69 Level 3

'clear' the rotation in the pages panel--then rotate the 'art' that is on the 'actual' pages--page 8 is actually upside down--you're view of page 8 looks correct--but it will output upside down unless you clear the rotation and then rotate the art

indesign.jpg

• 5. Re: Indesign Rotate Spread Problems :-(
                  mblaney Level 1

Thanks, that worked!