18 Replies Latest reply on Sep 21, 2014 3:36 PM by Killerwolf1020

CS5 Freezes While Starting Up. Can anyone help?

Killerwolf1020

So I have had Photoshop CS5 for a few years now and about a week ago the program started to become slow and would sometimes freeze up while using the brush strokes, regardless of which tool and drawing utensil I used (mouse or tablet). So I uninstalled it and reinstalled it but now the program won't even start up! It starts and then gets to the "Initalizing..." part then stops and freezes, forcing me to close the program by force. I have uninstalled and reinstalled over and over again but with hardly any luck. And the one time the program did fully "run" it quickly froze and again, I had to close it by force.

I have installed the latest drivers for my computer, an ASUS G46V

It has a Intel Core i5-323M CPU @ 2.60GHz

Memory (RAM): 8.00 GB (7.89 GB usable)

64-bit Operating system with a x64 based processor

and is running on Windows 8.1

Any help is appreciated. I have tried running Photoshop with and without the tablet but it always had the same results. I have uninstalled and reinstalled and I have run the program as an administrator.

I also downloaded the free version of CS2 and the same problem seems to be appearing...which makes me think this might be a computer problem, but again, I need help with this. I rely on Photoshop for my art and I have commissions to do and finish.So I would like to get this fixed as soon as possible.

• 1. Re: CS5 Freezes While Starting Up. Can anyone help?
          JJMack Most Valuable Participant

CS2 is not free.

The first thing to try is resetting your User ID Photoshop preferences. Un-installing and Re-Installing Photoshop does not  reset your Preferences. However CS2 and CS5 have different Preferencs files. CS2 is independent from CS5.

I have Windows 7 with 9GB of RAM with sufficient free scratch space on its boot disk. Ran CS5 for years on it I now use CS6 but still have CS5 on it and it still runs fine.

If you believe its a computer problem I would suggest running some stress test diagnostics make sure there is plenty of free scratch space and disk are in good working order.

Brush strokes can be effected by how large a canvas size you have and how far your zoomed out.   Try Painting while zoomed to actual pixels so you not painting megapixels per brush strokes.  If brush strokes work well then it may be more a size problem then a computer or Photoshop problem.

• 2. Re: CS5 Freezes While Starting Up. Can anyone help?
            Killerwolf1020 Level 1

I did get CS2 for free from here https://www.adobe.com/cfusion/entitlement/index.cfm?e=cs2_downloads.

So unless I have to pay for this eventually then I guess it is free.

I have worked with brush sizes and it slows down for the large brush sizes regardless of the size of the canvas, but unfortunately I have a unfinished commission on a pretty large canvas, and resizing it not only freezes the program but it causes the picture to loose quality in looks. So I have tried all that.  And this is a problem be cause this program literately just randomly stopped functioning properly. For months it worked fine with little to no problems, and then it just suddenly getting issues.

And I can't get to my user id though Photoshop. I KNOW that I am using the correct password, but it always give me the issue saying that "you cant use spaces in your password." So not sure what to do about that. If I can get to the preferences though the website then I can work with it, but if I have to go though Photoshop then I'm out of luck. If you didn't see what I said before, Photoshop won't open past the loading screen...it freezes and then I have to force it shut.

As for the stress tests, I am not a computer technician, I do not know how to do those other than saying that I have a lot of graphic and memory consuming games and they run perfectly fine on my computer.

• 3. Re: CS5 Freezes While Starting Up. Can anyone help?

Killerwolf1020 wrote:

I did get CS2 for free from here https://www.adobe.com/cfusion/entitlement/index.cfm?e=cs2_downloads.

So unless I have to pay for this eventually then I guess it is free.

Yes you did were you honest when you agreed with the terms there? CS2 is not Free.

The serial numbers provided as a part of the download may only be used by customers who legitimately purchased CS2 or Acrobat 7 and need to maintain their current use of these products.

Killerwolf1020 wrote:

I have worked with brush sizes and it slows down for the large brush sizes regardless of the size of the canvas, but unfortunately I have a unfinished commission on a pretty large canvas, and resizing it not only freezes the program but it causes the picture to loose quality in looks. So I have tried all that.  And this is a problem be cause this program literately just randomly stopped functioning properly. For months it worked fine with little to no problems, and then it just suddenly getting issues.

I only see lag with large tipped wet mixer brushes when I paint on image where I viewing actual pixel.  Its a totally different story when you paint view fit on screen when you canvas size is large.  I looks like Photoshop is painting the millions of pixels on the larges canvas tile by tile and scaling the tiles theo the zoomed out scalde dowv image its displaying for you to see. You not seeing the actual image being painted..

• 4. Re: CS5 Freezes While Starting Up. Can anyone help?
                Killerwolf1020 Level 1

OK that explains about the how the program views the image or how the image is seen or whatever it is...But that doesn't explain why the program is not opening at all. All this information is less then helpful with actually getting the program to actually launch. When this program launches, I can use this information. But for now I am suck with a program that refuses to open.

• 5. Re: CS5 Freezes While Starting Up. Can anyone help?
                  deepakg1988 Adobe Employee

hi

could you please go to windows windows event viewer and check the error for the faulty module

just for your reference here are some screenshot of the event view and how you can find that error

well you have to go to the control panel> administrator tool> event viewer

Untitled.png

please look for any error on the right window

• 6. Re: CS5 Freezes While Starting Up. Can anyone help?

Photoshop has a key sequence to help reset your user ID Photoshop Preferences.  When Photoshop Fails to start properly sometime its caused by some preference file being corrupt.  Even un-installing and re-installing Photoshop does not reset your user ID preferences.  So start Photoshop and immediately press and hold Ctrl+Alt+Shift or on a Mac Cmd+Option+Shift.  If you do that immediately Photoshop should prompt you and ask if you want your preferences deleted.  Reply YES.  Photoshop should then delete you preferences files and generate a new set of default  Preferences files and start.

• 7. Re: CS5 Freezes While Starting Up. Can anyone help?
                      Killerwolf1020 Level 1

So start Photoshop and immediately press and hold Ctrl+Alt+Shift or on a Mac Cmd+Option+Shift.  If you do that immediately Photoshop should prompt you and ask if you want your preferences deleted.  Reply YES.  Photoshop should then delete you preferences files and generate a new set of default  Preferences files and start.

I had tried that before and nothing ever came up. I ended up deleting some "preference" files manually as recommended by someone else with a similar problem. I haven't reinstalled the program yet as school work has been keeping me busy.

Would just deleting the preference files help? Or do I have to go though the Ctrl+Alt+Shift thing as well?

I also have the program uninstalled as well while I do a clean of this computer.

• 8. Re: CS5 Freezes While Starting Up. Can anyone help?
                        Killerwolf1020 Level 1

Thank you for the response

I was able to get the control panel open (not to much struggle)

But I am having trouble finding the administrator tool. I'm using windows 8.1

• 9. Re: CS5 Freezes While Starting Up. Can anyone help?
                          Level 5

Can you clarify:  has the application (CS2) ever launched correctly for you?

Also, deleting preferences file manually without knowing exactly what you're doing, could very well be the cause of your problems with both versions, CS2 and CS5.

Preference file functions, names, locations | Photoshop CS5

• 10. Re: CS5 Freezes While Starting Up. Can anyone help?
                            Killerwolf1020 Level 1

CS2 Has worked for me before.

Since the crashes started happening both CS2 and CS5 ceased to work.

I just deleted the preferences the other day. This problem happened WAY before I deleted any of that stuff.

• 11. Re: CS5 Freezes While Starting Up. Can anyone help?
                              Level 5

Regardless of when your trouble started, the manual  deleting of prefs files may have sealed your problem.

• 12. Re: CS5 Freezes While Starting Up. Can anyone help?
                                Killerwolf1020 Level 1

So you're saying that no matter what I do, I can never use Photoshop again?

• 14. Re: CS5 Freezes While Starting Up. Can anyone help?
                                  Killerwolf1020 Level 1

I was not trying to put words into your mouth, I just interpreted the statement "sealed your problem" as it has caused a permanent issue that couldn't be fixed. I have no idea what others mean at all times since I am not them, and I cannot read minds.

And I would appreciate if you did not call me a dumbtruck for being confused by your statement. It is incredibly rude, inappropriate, and hurtful. I merely did not understand the point you were trying to get across, and to clarify it I responded with how I took your choice of wording.

Oh and btw, general statement to everyone, I got this problem fixed. Thank you all for helping and giving me tips and pointers on what to do.

• 15. Re: Re: CS5 Freezes While Starting Up. Can anyone help?
                                    Level 5

heinrich salier   Community Member

Your reply was rejected by a moderator. Please edit your reply and resubmit it for approval.

Killerwolf1020 wrote:

So you're saying that no matter what I do, I can never use Photoshop again?

Very few things irk me more than some one putting words in my mouth.

No, I never said that—just for the record.

• 16. Re: Re: CS5 Freezes While Starting Up. Can anyone help?
                                      Level 5

Killerwolf1020 wrote:

I was not trying to put words into your mouth, I just interpreted the statement "sealed your problem" as it has caused a permanent issue that couldn't be fixed. I have no idea what others mean at all times since I am not them, and I cannot read minds.

Really?  ?? !!

Referring to the definitive cause of your issue equates to calling it "unfixable" in your mind?  ??? !! 

Uninstalling and clearing any orphaned files left by your misguided actions (as suggested by JJMack) never entered your mind?

You have my promise that I will not bother to reply to your posts in your future—provided I can remember your user name in the forum.  Sorry I did this time.

• 17. Re: Re: CS5 Freezes While Starting Up. Can anyone help?
                                        Killerwolf1020 Level 1

Really?  ?? !!

Referring to the definitive cause of your issue equates to calling it "unfixable" in your mind?  ??? !! 

Again, I do not always understand what others are thinking and as I have my own mind with my own thoughts I tend to see things my way. I rely on others for help to explain their thoughts that I do not understand as I am not all knowing or a professional in this are of expertise

Uninstalling and clearing any orphaned files left by your misguided actions (as suggested by JJMack) never entered your mind?

I did uninstall those files but they were actually suggested by another user on another forum which lead to the same link he had sent me. As stated before, I am no where near an expert in these kind of situations. I rely on "experts" such as yourself and other intelligent and respectable people on these forums for help. If I didn't need others help I wouldn't be here.

And as it stands, the problem has been solved and I now have Photoshop working again.

As for you replying to my forums, I really don't care as long as you are respectful and do not attempt to insult someone who does not understand what they are doing and in desperation come here to get help. I know that you are defiantly more knowledgeable in this area than I am and with all due respect, I could probably use some of the expertise that you have under your belt to help fix problems that I mistakenly cause, as I am only human and bound to make a lot of mistakes in my life.

I wish you the best and thank you for attempting to help.