1 Reply Latest reply on Sep 17, 2014 5:12 AM by dj_paige

Can I import edited photos (and their raw originals) from Aperture in groups, like 5-star images from a project?

ProgToddCA

I have 30,000 images in Aperture and it keeps crashing. I've run out of memory on my MacBook Pro running 10.8.6 and I want to switch over to Lightroom for all new photos and slowly migrate my best ones over to LR as well. I've edited many of my best shots already, probably 6000 or more, so I need to feel confident that cropping, editing, rating, and metadata will all migrate successfully.

Also, can I load the Lightroom itself onto an external hard drive and keep all my images off my laptop? If I edit them, do the edits remain on my laptop regardless of where the originals reside. I think that's the issue that I'm running into with Aperture:  edits stay on my laptop even though originals are on an external HD.

Thanks for your feedback on both of these matters.

Todd Telford

Cotati, CA

• 1. Re: Can I import edited photos (and their raw originals) from Aperture in groups, like 5-star images from a project?
          dj_paige Level 9

Also, can I load the Lightroom itself onto an external hard drive and keep all my images off my laptop? If I edit them, do the edits remain on my laptop regardless of where the originals reside. I think that's the issue that I'm running into with Aperture:  edits stay on my laptop even though originals are on an external HD.

Your photos can be on any hard disk, internal or external or network. If they are stored on an external hard disk, then when you import them into Lightroom, you select the ADD option and the photo will remain on your external hard disk. The edits are stored in your Lightroom catalog (as opposed to "remain on my laptop"). Once you import photos into Lightroom, you no longer want to manage them (move, copy, delete) using your operating system. You do all photo management in Lightroom.

If you transfer the photos properly, your edits, cropping, metadata, etc. will transfer to Lightroom, but I will leave the details to some expert on Aperture.

If I could offer some advice, I don't think you want to just transfer SOME of your photos to Lightroom. In my opinion, you want ALL of your photos managed by Lightroom, and not some in application 1 and some in application 2. This makes your life much easier when trying to find your photos, you don't have to think "Is this photo in Lightroom or is this in Aperture?"  (Note: this doesn't mean you have to import all the photos from Aperture into Lightroom in one HUGE operation; you can certainly do the importing in manageable sized groups)