16 Replies Latest reply on Sep 22, 2014 3:43 AM by Danny Whitehead.

Help ME!!!!

BearcatDesign

I need to make a Bifold brochure, Im getting confused on what the Trim size is.

Color: 4/4

Paper: N/A – digital

Trim Size: 17x11

Folding and Size:  8.5x11

Bleed: yes

Pages: 1, 2 sided

• 1. Re: Help ME!!!!
          Willi Adelberger Most Valuable Participant
          1. Create a new document (File > New > Document…) with 4 pages, 8.5 × 11 size, facing pages. First page is page 4!
            Start.png
          2. You have to inform yourself on the bleed size! Ask the printer!

3. Click twice on the right page thumbnail in the panel and go to the section and numbering menu in the panel’s fly out menu and change to start with page 2.
            selectpage2.png
          4. Change the page to a start of a new section, start with 1.
            changestart2.png
          5. You have now facing pages 4 | 1 &  2–3 with correct page numbers in 2 spreads. On page 1 you see the triangle which indicates that here is a new section.

spreads.png
          6. When you finally export your PDF for print activate the option to export spreads.

• 2. Re: Help ME!!!!
            Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

Personally, I think it's easier to set this up as two 17 x 11 pages since it only has one sheet. If you use Willi's method you will need to be sure you export "spreads" for the printer.

• 3. Re: Help ME!!!!
              Eugene Tyson Adobe Community Professional & MVP

I'd just do it as 4 pages, facing pages, and I wouldn't bother putting it into spreads.

Putting it into Spreads is the printers job, most printers prefer the file to be sent as single pages.

• 4. Re: Help ME!!!!

Did anyone beside me read the specs?

• 5. Re: Help ME!!!!
                  John Mensinger Adobe Community Professional & MVP

I agree, Peter.

A single sheet specified as 17 x 11 trim size, 4/4 is (2) 'tabloid'-size pages...in my book.

"A fold does not a page make."

- me

• 6. Re: Help ME!!!!
                    Danny Whitehead. Level 4

I'm reading it as an 8.5 x 11 portrait ('US Letter') 4-page. Trimmed to 17x11 and folded down the middle. In which case, it would be conventional to make a 4-page 8.5 x 11 ID document with facing pages.

• 7. Re: Help ME!!!!
                      Danny Whitehead. Level 4

4/4 usually means CMYK both sides.

• 8. Re: Help ME!!!!

Peter Spier wrote:

Did anyone beside me read the specs?

Ever have a wrong spec?

• 9. Re: Help ME!!!!

Really? I came off as not knowing that? I didn't say "2"?

Thanks, I guess.

• 10. Re: Help ME!!!!

Danny Whitehead. wrote:

...it would be conventional...

I don't know what that means, but in any case, it could be done either way that's been mentioned without being incorrect. If the printer doesn't object, I'd personally prefer to design the outer spread as a spread, as opposed to two separate pages. If the design evolves into something better suited to the 4 folded-size pages setup, it can be switched over later in the process.

• 11. Re: Help ME!!!!

Yeh that's completely correct, one sided printing full colour is 4/0

• 12. Re: Help ME!!!!

Danny Whitehead. wrote:

Trimmed to 17x11 and folded down the middle. In which case, it would be conventional to make a 4-page 8.5 x 11 ID document with facing pages.

Since when? When there's only a single sheet involved it doesn't matter which way you set up, and it's faster to do it as a single page per side if that's what you are asked to deliver.

As to the spec being bad or good, it's the spec and if you don't deliver what's asked you incur the wrath of prepress, if not extra charges.

• 13. Re: Help ME!!!!
                                  Willi Adelberger Most Valuable Participant

Setting up as single page version makes it easy to switch between spread and single page output. Often both is needed, one for print, one for emailing or web. Single pages are also better during design process to identify the fold. I have often got folder where the designer had an error where the fold is and designed it wrong.

Using single side pages help also when it comes to changes on the margin, layout adjustment or liquid layout will work correctly in this case.

And I don't see any disadvantage to use single pages contrary to a whole spread page. Not even more work has to be done.

• 14. Re: Help ME!!!!

If that's the case Peter, I'd set it up as 4 single pages with facing pages (for future use).

Then I'd setup another document and call it "Document 1_Imposed"

Create the new document to the size.

File>Place and place "Document 1" in the correct order (4,1 and 2,3)

Then export that to PDF.

I'd never create a document in a format that would make it difficult to alter in the future.

• 15. Re: Help ME!!!!
                                      Danny Whitehead. Level 4

I'm definitely with Eugene on this. Those specs look like those of the print job, not the artwork delivery format. I don't think they're asking you to impose it for them.

It looks to me like a 8.5 x 11 portrait 4-page, CMYK throughout. Personally, I'd create it as such. If the back isn't going to be seen to the left of the front in the final, folded piece, I'd prefer not see it like that in my ID layout. If they are asking you to semi-impose by moving page 4 to the left of page 1, it's easy enough to do that later.

• 16. Re: Help ME!!!!
                                        Danny Whitehead. Level 4

John Mensinger wrote:

Really? I came off as not knowing that? I didn't say "2"?

Thanks, I guess.

Sorry if I came across as condescending. I think the comma made me read "4/4 is (2) 'tabloid'-size pages" separately, as if '4/4' specified page count rather than which inks go on which sides.

But I would say that a fold *does* usually a page make, the most common exception in my experience being folds that make a piece fit a particular envelope (like an A4 4-page going in a C5 envelope - one fold makes the pages, one fits it into the envelope).