17 Replies Latest reply on May 20, 2015 10:15 PM by dylw

Link source changed after packaging

IH9U

Hi!

I have a book with several files. Each file has several links ( to images). Images are located on the file server, few of them are on my own computer. After making a package for printing, all the link sources in the original file changed. Now all the links point to "Links" folder that is in that package folder. Is that normal? Or it's some kind of bug? I'm confused why did that happen.. except one .ai file that I used for logo in each file didn't change it's source... Now I have to relink each image...

I'm using latest InDesign CC, Windows 7.

• 1. Re: Link source changed after packaging
          Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

Only the links in the COPY of the files in the package folder should be changed, and yes, that's not only normal, it's essential. If you don't copy the links and reset them in the packaged file you cannot hand off the file to someone else because they have no access to your server or desktop.

• 2. Re: Link source changed after packaging
            IH9U Level 1

ok, thanks. I don't know why they changed, never happened before.

• 3. Re: Link source changed after packaging

Keep in mind that once you run the Package command there are two identically named copies of your files, the original, in the original location, with the original links intact and a copy in the package folder with links modified to the copied links in the links folder.

• 4. Re: Link source changed after packaging
                IH9U Level 1

Of course, I know that very well, but the original links were changed in the original location. I checked today all documents, it has happened to most of them - not all of them.. I remember that after running Package command I canceled the operation... may be then smth went wrong. Any way, I already relinked them all.

• 5. Re: Link source changed after packaging
                  BobLevine MVP & Adobe Community Professional

It's a bug and I can confirm it. Packaging a book in InDesign CS6 and later causes the links in the original to be relinked to the packaged folder.

• 6. Re: Link source changed after packaging

That's not good.

I probably haven't packaged any files, let alone a book, in CS6. Is it restricted to Books, or does it happen with individual files, too?

• 7. Re: Link source changed after packaging

Packaging from a book only. Try it.

Create a new file. Place and image and save the file. Note where the link

is. Now, put it into a book and package it from there. Not only does it

relink, but it re-saves the file so there's no indication that anything

changed.

I just found out about this a couple of weeks ago when I got a call from a

colleague working with a group on Windows.

• 8. Re: Link source changed after packaging
                        MarazziTile

This is a quite a devastating bug. I hope it is on Adobe's radar to fix.

This just happened to me when packaging a book from InDesign CC. Now I am left with my original files with all links broken, nearly a thousand links..  I am in shock that I now have to relink all those images to their original location. Quite frustrating. This needs to be fixed Adobe!

Until the bug is fixed, if you are packaging a book from InDesign CS6 or later, make a backup copy before you package or use the copied set to package instead of your original files. This will save you a huge headache.

• 9. Re: Link source changed after packaging
                          bretperry Level 1

I package books every week and have never had this issue in CS6.

I just tested and it works as it always did, if you check "Update Graphics Links in Package" it re-links the package to links and leaves the original files links unchanged (in my case, still linked to various folders on the server).

• 10. Re: Link source changed after packaging
                            bretperry Level 1

continuing... But I have CS6 8.0.2 perpetual - not CS6 from the Creative Cloud (CC), so it is I think a few versions behind the one you download or update from the cloud. I just tested it again and it is fine.

BUT InDesign CC2014.1 does mess-up the original files and saves them if you choose "Update Graphic Links in Package", it links them BOTH to the package, no good.

I don't have the latest CC2014.2, not sure how that behaves.

If you DON'T check "Update Graphic Links in Package" then it doe not re-link or save the original (unless yo didn't save before packaging then of course it does save but not relink original. But then the Packaged files are not re-linked either.

Bummer.  So making a copy of the original files is the easiest workaround (or a 3rd-party packager plugin or app would work too, I hope--don't have one of those anymore)

• 11. Re: Link source changed after packaging
                              Laubender Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Hm. I cannot see this bug in InDesign CS6 v8.1.0 on Mac OSX 10.7.5.

A problem for InDesign on Windows perhaps?

Will test on with other versions: CC and CC 2014.2.

Uwe

• 12. Re: Link source changed after packaging

Tested with CC v9.3.0 and CC 2014.2 v10.2.0 on Mac OSX 10.7.5. I cannot see this bug.

Uwe

• 13. Re: Link source changed after packaging

It's a Windows only bug

• 14. Re: Link source changed after packaging

Thank you Bob for confirming this.
                                    Good to know next time I will lecture InDesign for Windows.

Uwe

• 15. Re: Link source changed after packaging
                                      bretperry Level 1

I hope so going forward. I wonder if it is OSX version-related then...

Definitely a bug on Mac 10.9.5 and 10.10.1 with CC2014.1 v10.1.0.71

Hoping to get CC 2014.2 v10.2.0 soon so maybe that will fix it!

• 16. Re: Link source changed after packaging
                                        bretperry Level 1

continuing...

Mac InDesign CC2014 does relink source (and packaged file) when your source is a Windows server(!) connected via ethernet smb, smb3, or afp (with ExtremeZ_IP for afp).

Ah, but no problem packaging ID CC2014 Mac to a Mac-formatted external over firewire.

So bug is also present in InDesign CC2014 for Mac - at least a Mac connected to a Windows server. Somewhat a Windows-only bug, then but affects Macs on Windows volumes.

• 17. Re: Link source changed after packaging
                                          dylw Level 1

Let me throw my experience in here:

One of my workmates and I have just done some testing because I didn't believe him when he told me about this issue since my setup behaves as expected and his has the dodgy bug.

What baffles me the most is I can't find a difference in our setups. We both have InDesign CC 10.1.0.71 on 3.5 Ghz 6-Core Intel Xeon E5 Mac Pros with OS 10.9.5 installed on each. We are both testing the exact same booklet on the same Windows Server running Extreme Z-IP. We've crossed checked all the preferences we can think of and they are the same too. C R A Z Y. Unfortunately I will have to stop teasing him now as it is obvious on this thread that a legitimate bug does exist and it is no longer an id10t error on his behalf.