13 Replies Latest reply on Sep 22, 2014 3:03 PM by ssprengel

Keep aspect ratio through import

Phio

Greetings! I´m currently using CS5 Lightroom on my X86 PC. And I have this annoying issue that with every import from my Sony Nex-6 as *.RAW all imported pics lose their original aspect ratio. I tried to fix this setting by the import profile but I missed an option like that. Does anybody else has this kind of problem? Please let me know. Many Thanks

• 1. Re: Keep aspect ratio through import
          RikkFlohr Adobe Community Professional

What are they supposed to be?

What are they now?

Are you using any in-camera cropping?

• 2. Re: Keep aspect ratio through import
            JimHess Adobe Community Professional & MVP

CS5 is a version of Photoshop. Is that what you mean? What version of Lightroom are you using? Lightroom 5? Please explain more clearly what you mean by your images are missing the original aspect ratio? Lightroom imports and displays the full size image, no cropping.

• 3. Re: Keep aspect ratio through import
              Phio Level 1

No, actually they are looking quite fine to me on the camera and I have no other pre/seetings defined with my nex.

Sorry, Typo. I mean Adobe Photoshop Lightroom 5 (Version 5.5, Camera Raw 8.6).

The thing is that the pictures gets imported with the aspect ratio attribute "as picture" (in German it is "wie Aufnahme") but it should be "original".

Unfortunately with this settings every picture is cropped, especially the panorama (which is .jpg).

What am I doing wrong?

Thanks for your help!

• 4. Re: Keep aspect ratio through import
                Phio Level 1

Does nobody have any clue?

• 5. Re: Keep aspect ratio through import
                  Phio Level 1

pleeeease help

• 6. Re: Keep aspect ratio through import

In the first reply, I asked you three questions. Answer them and we may be able to help you.

• 7. Re: Keep aspect ratio through import
                      Phio Level 1

I already answered your questions above:

What are they supposed to be?

"No, actually they are looking quite fine to me on the camera" - no crop, original aspect ratio

What are they now?

"The pictures gets imported with the aspect ratio attribute "as picture"<-- Cropped (in German it is "wie Aufnahme") but it should be "original" <--not cropped."

Are you using any in-camera cropping?

"I have no other pre/seetings defined with my nex." Dont know about a in-camera cropping with the Nex-6

• 8. Re: Keep aspect ratio through import

No you didn't:

Example

What are they supposed to be? 4:3

What are they now? 3:2

Are you using any in-camera cropping? No

• 9. Re: Keep aspect ratio through import
                          Phio Level 1

ah okey, now I got you.

I take photos in 16:9. But now I´m a bit confused.

I just compared the settings "as picture" with 16:9 and suprise suprise it is the same. But then a part of the photo is still missing.

Please find enclosed some screens.

Again, I actually want to have the full picture. Does that mean my Sony takes photos beyond 16:9??

Thanks for help

16:9:

16,9.JPG

As picture:

As picture.JPG

Original:

Original.JPG

• 10. Re: Keep aspect ratio through import
                            Phio Level 1

is really nobody able to help me with this issue? Hmm

• 11. Re: Keep aspect ratio through import
                              ssprengel Adobe Community Professional & MVP

You can get the same ratio as the camera by choosing As Picture/wie Aufnahme and you can get the entire sensor data using Original.   What unresolved issue are you wanting help with?

• 12. Re: Keep aspect ratio through import
                                Phio Level 1

ah okey, so this is about "Original". Are there any disadvantages by using the Original mode? Quality?

And would it be possible to fix the setting "Original" directly within the Import?

thx for your help

• 13. Re: Keep aspect ratio through import
                                  ssprengel Adobe Community Professional & MVP

The camera is apparently recording all the sensor pixels in the raw file even though the in-camera crop is set to only show some of them.  Using Original is ignoring the in-camera crop setting and showing all the recorded pixels.  The in-camera crop might have been used for compositional purposes, like you were taking stills that you want to add to an HD video and need them to line up with your video, so Adobe allows you to choose whether you to use the in-camera crop or the full sensor image.

What are you asking when you say "fix the setting Original directly within Import"?  Are you asking how to see the full sensor pixels in the Import grid/loupe or are you asking how to get LR to always show you all the original pixels after import, instead of showing the in-camera crop?

If the second then I think it would work to just change your LR Defaults to include Orignal instead of As Picture.

The way to change your defaults is to import a photo, and before you change anything, go to Develop, adjust the Crop type to Original, then press the Alt key (Windows, not sure Mac) and see the Reset button change to Set Default... and click that, then say you're wanting to Update to the current settings.