5 Replies Latest reply on Sep 23, 2014 12:57 PM by Wermount2323

Trouble with set 'camera 3d' IN FRONT on everything

Wermount2323 Level 1

Hi. I want my object to move in my side. You know, to make it bigger and bigger. That is an animation I want to do. It's simple, right?

But It doesn't work at all when I try to do this. So like I know, to have that effects (something is closing to the screen) we need 3D objects (I know that we can do this as a fake 3D with scaling and adding a dropping shadow but in this time I want to have a trully 3D). So I need to have a camera right in front of object which it will be moving to me.

For better understanding I made a screen and also try to describe what's wrong.

trouble.png

• 1. Re: Trouble with set 'camera 3d' IN FRONT on everything
          belross Level 1

Sounds like you might be confusing "position" with "point of interest"? Remember that the point of interest is the point in space that the camera is looking at while the position is the point in space that the camera is looking from. Those two points essentially draw a straight line in 3D space that represent the direction the camera is pointed at. Try positioning the camera directly in front of the object while keeping the point of interest exactly on the object.

• 2. Re: Trouble with set 'camera 3d' IN FRONT on everything
            Wermount2323 Level 1

belross napisał(-a):

Try positioning the camera directly in front of the object while keeping the point of interest exactly on the object.

Yes... but HOW?

I know that when I add a NullObject and pick-whipped it to the my camera and I copy keyframes "position" from "Meetings" box to the NullObject "position" settings it works. But Do I have to still use NullObject and pick-whip for do that?

• 3. Re: Trouble with set 'camera 3d' IN FRONT on everything
              belross Level 1

Keep in mind that when you parent a layer to a null, all properties of the child layer become relative to the parent layer. That includes the point of interest, which is now positioned relative to your null layer instead of the composition. If you want to keep the point of interest exactly on the object but still have the camera relative to the null, try a simple expression that sets the POI point equal to the object's position or some other value.

I am curious as to why you are using 3D perspective and cameras to achieve a "zoom in" effect rather than using basic 2D scaling. Do you have other 3D objects and camera movements in your composition?

• 4. Re: Trouble with set 'camera 3d' IN FRONT on everything
                Rick Gerard Adobe Community Professional & MVP

The easiest solution would be to use a one node Camera. Another solution is to set the camera up to auto orient along the path. Other solution is to animate both camera position and point of interest.

PLease type "Animate Camera" in the search help field at the top right corner of AE and do a little reading. It will be time well spent.

• 5. Re: Trouble with set 'camera 3d' IN FRONT on everything
                  Wermount2323 Level 1

belross napisał(-a):

why you are using 3D perspective and cameras to achieve a "zoom in" effect rather than using basic 2D scaling

Because I can scaling in 2D and I can do that in that way. And I want to learn hot to do it in 3D. And everything in 3D in that my project behaves strange