7 Replies Latest reply on Sep 18, 2014 8:06 PM by JJMack

PS/Bridge CS5 Batch Processor Not Working / Missing Scripts

GrooGrux03

I'm having a bit of a problem within Photoshop/Bridge CS5 and haven't found anything that works to resolve it.

In Bridge, I want to launch the Photoshop Batch Processor via Tools>Photoshop>Batch.

batch.jpg

When I select this, Photoshop launches, but the dialog to process the images never shows. On occasion, if I return to Bridge and attempt the same operation again, I'll get a notification that there's already something in progress and asks if I want to queue this operation. The other times (majority) I can return to Bridge and attempt the operation again but get no dialogues in Photoshop. I can try the other options in this menu as well (eg Image Processor, etc) and get the same results.

Here's what I've done so far:

1. Checked Bridge Edit>Preferences>Startup Scripts and ensured those were all checked. I even disabled all, closed Bridge and Photoshop, then re-enabled.

2. Cleared all Preferences from Bridge and Photoshop (using Ctrl+Shift+Alt at launch).

3. Reinstalled Photoshop (multiple times)

4. Uninstalled Photoshop, ran the Adobe CS Cleaner application, then reinstalled Photoshop.

It should be noted that in Bridge>Edit>Preferences and Startup Scripts, if I click the button to 'Reveal my scripts' the folder it takes me to is blank. Not sure if this folder is solely used for personal/user created scripts or for others as well, but it's completely empty.

I have also gone to Help>Updates and updated both applications with any necessary updates from Adobe.

If I go into Photoshop and select File>Automate>Batch or even File>Scripts>Image Processor, both dialogues open fine.

Running Windows 8.1 Pro.

Anyone else seen this and actually resolve the issue? Does anyone know where the scripts are supposed to be located and/or if I can get them from somewhere else? Any help is much appreciated

• 1. Re: PS/Bridge CS5 Batch Processor Not Working / Missing Scripts
          JJMack Most Valuable Participant

Make sure Photoshop is not started and then try to use Bridge menu Tools>Photoshop>Batch does Photoshop start up?

Bridge CS5 menu Tools>Photoshop>Batch works on my Windows 7 Pro system

Photoshop Automate>Batch is not a script  and Photoshop does not any external java program it had its own version of java plugin.

c:\Program Files (x86)\Adobe\Adobe Photoshop CS5\Plug-ins\Extensions\ScriptingSupport.8li

c:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe Photoshop CS5 (64 Bit)\Plug-ins\Extensions\ScriptingSupport.8li

However there are two startup scripts for the bridge involved Bridge and Photoshop  You must have them for you have a Bridge menu Tools>Photoshop>items

two scripts on my system are:

c:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Adobe\Startup Scripts CS5\Adobe Bridge\bridge-4.jsx

c:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Adobe\Startup Scripts CS5\Adobe Photoshop\photoshop.jsx

The photoshop.jsx seems to be the one the the inserts the menu Tools>Photoshop>Batch into Bridge and also invokes Photosgop Automate>batch  photoshop.jsx  also inserts the other Bridge menu Tools>Photoshop>Menu Itens that you state work.

Here is what I see in my photoshop.jsx for batch.  I do not know or understand Bridge scripting and do not know javsscript but what I see there seems to be some checking done about Photoshop being available and if it is not the script just returns which is what you seem to be experiencing the test looks like this

if (!photoshop.correctPSIsAvailable (availabilityCheckOptions))

return;

The whole batch support section follows:

//=================================================================

// Batch

// Sets up Photoshop's Batch automation command to be

// accessed from the Bridge.

//=================================================================

//-----------------------------------------------------------------

// This routine takes an array of files. If called by Photoshop,

// it will invoke Batch with the files. If called by

// any other app, it will send a BridgeTalk message to Photoshop

// to invoke this routine with the same arguments.

photoshop.batch = function (/* Array */ files, availabilityCheckOptions)

{

try

{

if (availabilityCheckOptions == null)

availabilityCheckOptions = new AvailabilityCheckOptions ();

// Make sure this can be run.

return;

if (BridgeTalk.appName != "photoshop")

{

// Bring Photoshop to the foreground.

BridgeTalk.bringToFront (photoshop.versionInfo.btTargetName);

// Create a new BridgeTalk message for Photoshop to invoke

// Batch with the selected files

var btMessage = new BridgeTalk;

btMessage.target = photoshop.versionInfo.btTargetName;

btMessage.body = "photoshop.batch (" + files.toSource () + ");";

btMessage.send ();

}

else

{

app.bringToFront();

photoshop.runActionCommand ('batch', files,

localize ("$$$/PSBI/Automate/BatchSettingsFile=Batch via Bridge Settings"));

}

}

catch (error)

{

if (error.number != 8007) // Don't report user cancelled errors.

alert (error);

}

}

// This routine is called when the Bridge's Batch menu item is

// chosen.

photoshop.batchFromBridge = function ()

{

try

{

var availabilityCheckOptions = new AvailabilityCheckOptions ();

return;

var files = photoshop.getBridgeFileListForAutomateCommand (true, false);

if (files.length != 0)

photoshop.batch (files, availabilityCheckOptions);

}

catch (error)

{

if (error.number != 8007) // Don't report user cancelled errors.

alert (error);

}

}

// The code below inserts the Batch menu item into the Bridge menus.

if ((BridgeTalk.appName == "bridge") && (BridgeTalk.appVersion.indexOf (photoshop.versionInfo.bridgeTargetVersion) == 0))

{

// Use temp function to keep vars out of global namespace.

photoshop.tempFunction = function ()

{

// Set up the info necessary for inserting this item into the Bridge's menus later.

var menuItemInfo = new Object;

menuItemInfo.text = localize ("$$$/PSBI/Menu/Automate/Batch=Batch...");

menuItemInfo.name = 'Batch';

menuItemInfo.onSelect = photoshop.batchFromBridge;

photoshop.menuItemInfoArray.push (menuItemInfo);

}

photoshop.tempFunction ();

delete photoshop.tempFunction;

}

• 2. Re: Re: PS/Bridge CS5 Batch Processor Not Working / Missing Scripts
            GrooGrux03 Level 1

Thanks for the reply!

Having Photoshop closed and launching Bridge and attempting the Batch operation still produces the same results - Photoshop will open up, but the dialogue never shows up.

I have verified that I have the following files:

c:\Program Files (x86)\Adobe\Adobe Photoshop CS5\Plug-ins\Extensions\ScriptingSupport.8li

c:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe Photoshop CS5 (64 Bit)\Plug-ins\Extensions\ScriptingSupport.8li

and

c:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Adobe\Startup Scripts CS5\Adobe Bridge\bridge-4.jsx

c:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Adobe\Startup Scripts CS5\Adobe Photoshop\photoshop.jsx

When I open my photoshop.jsx file in Notepad I see those Batch operations just like you listed yours.

Any other ideas or things to check? I appreciate the help!

• 3. Re: Re: PS/Bridge CS5 Batch Processor Not Working / Missing Scripts

Using Photoshop does using menu File>Automate>Batch open the Batch Dialog?

• 4. Re: Re: PS/Bridge CS5 Batch Processor Not Working / Missing Scripts
                GrooGrux03 Level 1

Yes it does, which leads me to believe the proper scripts or whatever are in place. Bridge just has a problem recognizing them and sending the commands to Photoshop.

• 5. Re: PS/Bridge CS5 Batch Processor Not Working / Missing Scripts

The may help locate the problem.  As I wrote I have never scripted the bridge  I only hack a Photoshop scripting.

In the startup script photoshop.jsx try adding  three alerts find the section the reads like this:

return;

Make it read like this:

alert("testing");

return;

alert("good to go");

var files = photoshop.getBridgeFileListForAutomateCommand (true, false);

if (files.length == 0) alert("something wrong no files selected");

• 6. Re: PS/Bridge CS5 Batch Processor Not Working / Missing Scripts
                    GrooGrux03 Level 1

Ok, I entered those changes into that file and got both pop-ups. I OKd both, Photoshop launched, but the dialogue for Batch Processor didn't open.

• 7. Re: PS/Bridge CS5 Batch Processor Not Working / Missing Scripts

As I wrote have never look at Bridge scripting.   So far it look like  Bridge menu Tools>Photoshop>Batch is  triggering the function

photoshop.batchFromBridge = function ()

The first two alerts show thing look good and the third alert not displaying indicates that there is a file list.

The function then uses the functing above it in photoshop.jsx

photoshop.batch = function (/* Array */ files, availabilityCheckOptions)

I  do not understand that function code I know it must be the code that is causing Photoshop to start and run batch or receive a BridgeTalk message.  I do not know how that code should work for I know nothing about BridgeTalk other then knowing it exists.   You do see Photoshop start but no Batch opens.    Hopefully some one with Bridge scripting knowledge can step in here it way beyond me..