1 Reply Latest reply on Sep 18, 2014 6:50 AM by jasonvp

Newest Mac Pro does NOT work with CC14 - Will Adobe address this or not?

AlphaJB4

I have a Mac Pro late 2013 - the "trash can" - and when I tried installing Premiere CC14, it crashed multiple times before even completing the program's initial bootup. I had to install CS6 just to get operable, though this does not help me open the CC14 projects I have inherited. I have a colleague who uses a $1.5K laptop, and it works logarithmically faster and better with CC14 than my $4K new Mac Pro.  I have all the Adobe permissions set to "Read/Write" and it shows absolutely no speed improvements over a much less expensive iMac.  The CUDA feature is worthless unless Adobe develops a way for it to take advantage of the hardware configuration of the Mac Pro... And I'm having a hard time finding anything resembling an official statement suggesting this is anywhere close to a reality.  I have many After Effects plug ins, and while yes: They are 3rd party plug ins, these are not just electives - They are part of my arsenal that my loyal clients have come to expect.

For 15 years I have used After Effects, Photoshop and Illustrator, all 15 of them on a Mac. In all that time I have NEVER experienced this kind of vagueness, finger pointing, and dodgy avoidance.  There seems to be an allergy to making an announcement that anything resembling a coordinated effort is going to happen.

Why would I buy "the fastest" Mac if Adobe didn't work with it?  MAC STORE staff didn't seem to think this was going to be an issue... Yet I can't find any official date as to when CC14 is projected to work with AMD architecture.

I'm feeling a lot like I did when Mac juked us with FCP-7 to FCP-X "upgrade.'   Et tu, Adobe?

-JOHN BEYER

(PS - Yes I had Adobe Creative Cloud assistance help me troubleshoot)

• 1. Re: Newest Mac Pro does NOT work with CC14 - Will Adobe address this or not?
          jasonvp Level 3

No offense meant, but did you come here to ask for help, or are you just complaining?  Because it seems an awful lot like the latter...

AlphaJB4 wrote:

I have a colleague who uses a $1.5K laptop, and it works logarithmically faster and better with CC14 than my $4K new Mac Pro.

So does CC2014 work on your Mac Pro or not?  The laptop doesn't "work logarithmically faster..." than your Mac Pro if the software isn't working to begin with.  Hyperbole, much?

The CUDA feature is worthless unless Adobe develops a way for it to take advantage of the hardware configuration of the Mac Pro...

CUDA isn't available on the new Mac Pro.  OpenCL is.  If you have the CUDA preference panel installed due to another piece of software putting it there, you're better served by deleting it.  It's not going to help you at all on the new Mac.  It may, in fact, cause problems.

Pr CC2014 works fine with OpenCL on the new Mac.  Ae doesn't, but Adobe has never said Ae does or would.  Anything you do in Ae is going to be CPU-bound.  If Pr is crashing, then it likely means you have something else on your system that's mucking things up.  Did you recover your user directory with something like Time Machine when you installed your new Mac?  Was your user directory originally on some other Mac?  What happens if you create an entirely new user from scratch, without restoring the home directory, and then try to kick Pr into gear?  Does it run?

Provide some details and perhaps someone can help.