13 Replies Latest reply on Sep 18, 2014 11:31 AM by Chuck Uebele

how can I turn a 4x6 picture into a 6x6 square without cropping away anything?

dmcmmc

Hi. This picture is essentially 4x6. I'd like to make it fit a square frame, but I don't want to cut anything out. Instead, I want to add a couple inches to the top. I'll use the clone tool to make more sky and clouds. Once I have it 6x6, I'll then shrink it to 5x5, but I don't think that's important right now. I just can't figure out how to add image to an existing image. Please help! I'm using CS5 extended 12.1 x64. Thanks!

gravelly pt arlington L 7-22-12 4378.JPG

• 1. Re: how can I turn a 4x6 picture into a 6x6 square without cropping away anything?
          JJMack Most Valuable Participant

That image has a 4:3 aspect ratio and would print 8"x6" at 384DPI if you want a square image  file you have to crop it to a 1:1 aspect ratio or add canvas  have a border on top  or bottom or split between top and bottom to go  from your 4:3 aspect to a 4:4 1:1 aspect ratio.  With the amount of pixel you have  I do not understand why you just don make a square crop. You could also add more sky on top easily with content fill and just set the dpi to print the image 5"x5" with the added sky.

Capture.jpg

• 2. Re: how can I turn a 4x6 picture into a 6x6 square without cropping away anything?
            Level 5

Either you crop, or you put up with white bands (or any other color) on top and bottom of your image

gravelly+pt+arlington+L+7-22-12+4378.JPG

You cannot defeat the laws of physics.

JJMack's solution is the most sensible way to go: just crop.

1 person found this helpful
            • 4. Re: how can I turn a 4x6 picture into a 6x6 square without cropping away anything?
              dmcmmc Level 1

Thank you all very much. Gener7, I was able to duplicate the nice job you did. I would obviously fix the clouds so they don't look so cloned, but you understood what I was trying to do. As much as I like what you did, I wanted to learn for myself how to do it. For that, thanks, JJMack, for at least leading me in the right direction. Here's what I did: Open Image, then Canvas Size, then uncheck Relative. I made both height and width 3072 and chose the bottom middle box for the anchor. Then I simply did what I wanted with the top band that I just created. As I said originally, cropping was not an option. The sample picture I uploaded isn't the one I actually need to edit, but served as a good way to learn. 

• 5. Re: how can I turn a 4x6 picture into a 6x6 square without cropping away anything?

As I wrote if you want a square image and you have that many pixels.  I do not understand why you just do not want to crop.  If you have a lot of images to do it. It would be very time consuming to do what you just did for each image you would need to decide if you want to add to the top, bottom or top and bottom. The decide the best way the fill the added canvas for each image. Add the content  and blend it in.

If your images are full camera image the are either  4:3 or 3:2 Landscape and 3:4 or 2:3 Portraits.  When you done all image will be square a 1:1 Aspect Ratio.  Center cropping normal camera images is a common practice.  It what commercial print shop do when you send the your images to be printed. Your print come back with 5:7, 8:10 or some other aspect ratio like 4:6 the only images that are not cropped are some of the  6"x4" prints if you have a 3:2 aspect ratio camera for print and camera have the same aspect ratio.  If you ask for a special print run of 5" x5" prints you would receive back center 1:1 cropped and for the most part be what you would want. Landscape images would have some image removed from both sides and portrait image some image off top and bottom.  An action could quickly make centered 1:1.  Here is your image image cropped that way.  In the action I used a plug-in I wrote years ago for making selection. The action is very simple. Select,Crop,Deselect,Set DPI to Print 5".  Look at the history palette.

View my image in a new tab it you can not read it. there you can scale it to actual pixels. The site scale screen captures poorly.

Capture.jpg

• 6. Re: how can I turn a 4x6 picture into a 6x6 square without cropping away anything?
                  dmcmmc Level 1

I'm looking at your picture, but the left and right sides of the picture are cropped. As I said, I can't crop anything. I probably wasn't clear. I choose not to crop anything. The actual picture I want to use leaves me no room at all for cropping, so my only option was to add height, but not stretch it. I now know how to do this and everything is good.

• 7. Re: how can I turn a 4x6 picture into a 6x6 square without cropping away anything?

You were clear that is why I gave you the first reply.   You were very clear.  However you gave no reason why you not want to crop other then you don't want. now you state.

"The actual picture I want to use leaves me no room at all for cropping"   I have no problem believing that  but I would like to know why that is since you have so many pixels for 5". Either way you do it you changing the original image composition.  One way you fake image content the other remove image content. I can understand not wanting to loose content by faking content. In most cases loosing some border content is no big deal and can be automated.

• 8. Re: how can I turn a 4x6 picture into a 6x6 square without cropping away anything?
                      dmcmmc Level 1

I'm really not concerned about faking image content. The actual picture I'm using is of my son, outside. It's a little similar to the one I posted, but it's a different background, and different son. It's for a CD cover, so it has to be a square, although not exactly 5x5. The image content that I add is going to be more sky, which is fine because all I'm going to do is add some text over that anyway.

• 9. Re: how can I turn a 4x6 picture into a 6x6 square without cropping away anything?

Once you have the Image square you can print it any size without changing a single pixel all you need to do is set the exact size and Photoshop will adjust the DPI setting to print the image exactly the size you want.  DPI set the Pixel size without a DPI setting pixels have no set density they have no size.

• 10. Re: how can I turn a 4x6 picture into a 6x6 square without cropping away anything?
                          rkelly0137 Level 4

station_two wrote:

Either you crop, or you put up with white bands (or any other color) on top and bottom of your image.

You cannot defeat the laws of physics.

JJMack's solution is the most sensible way to go: just crop.

This is a Photoshop forum, and that's your advice?  You can defeat the laws of physics in Photoshop.  It's probably what most people use it for.

I can't think of a more simple background to clone than a blue sky with some clouds.  There are half a dozen ways to do it in PS, from cloning, to stretching, to content fill, to simply rendering your own.  For a background that plain it shouldn't take more than a couple minutes.  While I agree a tighter crop would look better, that's not what they asked for.

• 11. Re: how can I turn a 4x6 picture into a 6x6 square without cropping away anything?
                            Level 5

Sorry, I still contend plain cropping is the best way to go.

Cloned, stretched, content-aware manipulated images, all those gimmicks are easily detectable from far away.  My brain rejects them instantly as unnatural, just as it rejects the abomination that is HDR manipulations.  In my view they're simply detestable.

The inevitably failed attempts to defeat the laws of physics by way of manipulations Photoshop result, in my view, self evident and ultimately ridiculous.

I don't give a hoot about what "most people" use Photoshop for.  In the first place, I'm quite confident about my own judgment and taste, and, secondly, the taste and preferences of the masses are irrelevant in any field—except marketing, of course.

If everyone refrained from suggesting anything different from what the OP wants, this forum would have much less value.

• 12. Re: how can I turn a 4x6 picture into a 6x6 square without cropping away anything?
                              rkelly0137 Level 4

Maybe you don't have the skill to do it realistically, but it doesn't mean it's not an option for others.  You see manipulated images every day that your brain doesn't reject. There is absolutely no way that you could tell that an image of blue sky and clouds has been manipulated from far away if done properly.  I'd go so far to argue that you couldn't tell at 100% either.  There's a lot of bad photoshop out there, but it doesn't mean there isn't good photoshop.

• 13. Re: how can I turn a 4x6 picture into a 6x6 square without cropping away anything?
                                Chuck Uebele Adobe Community Professional & MVP

While there were some answers to this, this is another reason to upgrade to at least CS6 and get Content aware scale.  Just make an alpha channel of the areas that you protect and scale the image.

plane.JPG