7 Replies Latest reply on Sep 18, 2014 9:37 AM by Keith_Reeder

How to get GH4 RAW files to work natively in Lightroom 4.4

tomster1981

I want to know how i can process Panasonic Lumix GH4 RAW files within Lightroom 4.4 like i use to do with my GH3.  I have updated camera raw to 8.6 so i can use Photoshop CS6 to process them but i much prefer doing it in Lightroom.   Any help would be appreciated!

Best

Tom

• 1. Re: How to get GH4 RAW files to work natively in Lightroom 4.4
          ssprengel Adobe Community Professional & MVP

LR 4 ceased being updated for new cameras once LR 5 came out so you will never be able to natively work on GH4 files in LR 4.  You can upgrade to LR 5.6 (which has newer minimum OS requirements) or you can convert to DNGs with the DNG Converter 8.6 that can be used with LR 4.

• 2. Re: How to get GH4 RAW files to work natively in Lightroom 4.4
            tomster1981 Level 1

Thank you for this information.  Its a shame they don't support there own software when its not exactly old but at least there is a work around! 

Best

Tom

• 3. Re: How to get GH4 RAW files to work natively in Lightroom 4.4

They do support their own software but they also want to have money to pay their employees, so they release a new pay-for upgrade every year or two, right?  It’s like going to a restaurant, once, paying for your meal, then going back, later, with your receipt and expecting to eat free forever.  Why is it ok to pay again when you want to eat more but not pay again to compensate people for their work?

• 4. Re: How to get GH4 RAW files to work natively in Lightroom 4.4
                tomster1981 Level 1

They don't , when you buy software you expect it to support new cameras as they come out.  If software companies didn't do this then nothing would work properly on your computer.  You buy new software for new features not to fix problems.   

• 5. Re: How to get GH4 RAW files to work natively in Lightroom 4.4

Nothing is “free”.  Adding cameras and adding new features is still work performed by people who are paid for their work.  Adobe could ask for more money, just a smaller amount, for every single release even if there were no new features, but they choose to ask for more money only for the new features releases.  You don’t get the benefit of those of us paying for new feature releases forever, only until a new-features release is available.

Adobe could “support” old versions forever, updating them for new operating systems and new cameras, but how would they pay people to do that work?  They’d either need to charge for all those new-OS/new-camera releases, just a smaller amount, or they could charge a lot more for each new-feature-release to pay for those people working on the older versions.  But both of those scenarios are less optimal because there are actually more people doing more work so the overall expense is more.  Adobe’s major-payfor-upgrades, minor-free-updates pricing model is a cost-effective compromise, but it means customers do have to pay, again, every so often, when the consumer has changed things about their own environment, either new cameras, or new operating systems.

• 6. Re: How to get GH4 RAW files to work natively in Lightroom 4.4
                    Keith_Reeder Level 4

tomster1981 wrote:

They don't , when you buy software you expect it to support new cameras as they come out.

Just for fun then, I challenge you to find any commercial Raw converter to which the authors continue adding new camera support retrospectively to obsoleted versions of the software...

Any at all.

I can wait...

(Hint: don't bother. There aren't any. All converters stop providing support for new cameras once they "version up". Always have, always will).

• 7. Re: How to get GH4 RAW files to work natively in Lightroom 4.4
                      dj_paige Level 9

when you buy software you expect it to support new cameras as they come out.

Well, you may expect this, but Adobe (and other photographic software manufacturers that I know of) have never had this policy, so there's really no reason to expect this, and if you had done some research you would have found this out.

If you buy Lightroom 4, you get free upgrades including camera support as long as Lightroom 4 is the current version; after that you don't get anything free.