• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Adobe Reader 11.0.9 will not open PDF's from network shares

Community Beginner ,
Sep 18, 2014 Sep 18, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Having an issue on computers running 11.0.8 that auto update to 11.0.9.  Opening a PDF from a network share that previously worked will no longer, giving the following error: "There was an error opening this document. The network path was not found".  I tried backing off to 11.0.8 again, as that's what get.adobe.com/reader is serving up, but it pops it right back to .9 after a few minutes as auto-updates are on. 

Network path was put in the Security (Advanced) section, even turned Protected Mode off.

Ideas?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Sep 19, 2014 Sep 19, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Daniel,

1) How have you turned OFF protected mode?

2) What is the behavior after turning Protected Mode OFF?

Please note that protected mode keeps your system safe from vulnerabilities and exploits. So enable it back after verifying the issue.

Thanks,

Shakti K

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Kshakti,

Turned if off through the check mark in Edit -> Preferences -> Security (Enhanced), and turned off the checkmark for Enable Protected Mode at startup, and turned Protective View to off, and after turning it off, it did the same thing.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Daniel,

Are you able to open other types of files from the network like .txt, .docx files etc.

Thanks,

Shakti K

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes I am, and I can also pull the same PDF off the network share and put it on a desktop, and it will open there as well.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is exactly what I am noticing too.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What's the word on this.

This is an Adobe Issue. I am an IT admin and came into work today to all users having this issue. I cant even get a chance to work on it. I have 23 clients call me in 2 hours with the same issue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

Can you please try disabling protected mode and see if the issue still occurs.

To disable protected mode - Launch Reader and go to Edit -> Preferences -> Security (Enhanced) and uncheck the checkbox "Enable Protected Mode at startup" and close Reader.

Now try to open the PDF file from network share and verify if the issue still occurs.

NOTE : Protected Mode keeps your system safe from external vulnerabilities and exploits. One should always keep it enabled.

So, please enable it back after verifying the issue.

Thanks,

Shakti k

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I did that and the issue persists.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you please send process monitor logs:

To take process monitor log follow the below steps:

1) Download process monitor from http://technet.microsoft.com/en-in/sysinternals/bb896645.aspx

2) Launch process monitor.

3) Now try to open the PDF file at network share. It will not open with the network error so just cancel the error dialog.

4) Save process monitor logs as a .pml file.

5) Send it to me.

Try above workflows with Protected Mode checkbox checked.

Thanks,

Shakti K

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Sep 26, 2014 Sep 26, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 29, 2014 Sep 29, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

NOT FIXED!!!!!

I have the same issue. The SMB2 stack was deactivated because an old ERP systems database gets corrupt if SMB2 was activated. @Adobe: Is this a bug in Adobe Reader or an environment issue?

Temporary solution: Reactivating the SMB2 stack and restarting clients.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is an Adobe Issue. I am an IT admin and came into work today to all users having this issue. I cant even get a chance to work on it. I have 23 clients call me in 2 hours with the same issue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

FIXED !!!!!!!!!!!

I only had the issue for 11.0.9 users not realizing that...... I don not have the problem using 11.0.6-11.0.8. So I tried to download and reinstall adobe reader (((after uninstalling and rebooting))) and noticed I had 11.0.9 reinstalled and now have 11.0.8 and no issues. Adobe must have pulled 11.0.9

I am not longer able to recreate the issue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 30, 2014 Sep 30, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is not a problem with the protection mode.

This appears to be a problem when the TOOLS pane is open. If you open Adobe Reader and click on the TOOLS button to close the pane on the right side of the Reader window and close Reader this should fix your problem. just try and open a PDF and see.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 01, 2014 Oct 01, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

On my systems it is a problem only occuring if protected mode is enabled:

PMODE     SMB2 stack enabled

on                         yes                    works

off                         yes                    works

on                         no                    doesn't work

off                         no                      works

So what is the problem. When can we expect a solution for this problem. Have we to switch to another PDF Viewer?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Oct 02, 2014 Oct 02, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I switched to nitro pdf (we use it anyway for Print to PDF)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 21, 2014 Oct 21, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I would like to add that I am also experiencing the same issue on Windows 7 and Server 2012

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 23, 2014 Oct 23, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

ADOBE WORKAROUND.

Same issue.  I found out my "download" option in my browser (Firefox) had changed to a server folder instead of my local Download folder.  So, while the file correctly downloaded, it appears that the .PDF must be on a local computer in order for Adobe to open it..

That being said, accessing a .PDF directly on the server from the server doesn't seem to be a problem, so it has to do with the translation of the network path - mapping doesn't work.  Adobe appears to only open files on the local computer and not across networks.

This will lead to other problems for us in the future, but for now if I need to access a .PDF stored on the server, I will have to copy it to a local folder.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

ALSO - NOT A BUG BUT A "FEATURE"?

I found that if, when you open Adobe, you go to "Edit", "Preferences", "Security (Enhanced)" you should see something called "Sandbox Protection" (sounds like something to keep cats away from where children play.)  Uncheck the box and it will remove the restriction from accessing network files.

That being said, I can't find any reason for the feature but it must have something to do with embedded links in Adobe documents (?).  Makes me wonder what they were trying to "fix"?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yeah all those options are not acceptable in our environment since disabling security features can be a liability

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 07, 2016 May 07, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

i do not have 'sandbox protection.'

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 24, 2014 Oct 24, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am also having the issue. Disabling protected mode fixes the issue for me. However, that is not a feasible solution. Adobe needs to get this fixed ASAP.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 18, 2014 Nov 18, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So i did some more testing but this time around SMB on a Windows 8.1, and everything work as expected, like people before have said on here it is related to the SMB version, some how Adobe is using or doing something that is not resolving properly under Windows's 7 and Server 2012 SMB.  Below is quick reference to what version is on by default on the servers/clients

• SMB 1.0 (or SMB1) – The version used in Windows 2000, Windows XP, Windows Server 2003 and Windows Server 2003 R2
    • SMB 2.0 (or SMB2) – The version used in Windows Vista (SP1 or later) and Windows Server 2008
    • SMB 2.1 (or SMB2.1) – The version used in Windows 7 and Windows Server 2008 R2
    • SMB 3.0 (or SMB3) – The version used in Windows 8 and Windows Server 2012
    • SMB 3.02 (or SMB3) – The version used in Windows 8.1 and Windows Server 2012 R2
hope this helps with those people who have cross site file share on server 2012, maybe we can finally get Adobe to fix this

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 10, 2014 Dec 10, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Would like to add that this issue has been fixed with the latest update

Adobe Security Bulletin December 2014

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines