1 Reply Latest reply on Sep 18, 2014 7:47 PM by Douglas.Waterfall

Minimizing inconsistencies between print document page numbers and fixed format ePub page numbers

jcw6365

Hello all!

I am currently involved in a relatively simple fixed format ePub project. I am almost completely finished with the file, but I do notice that upon export, the page numbers of the navigational table of contents begin numbering at a different point than the print document.

I certainly don't expect the software to conveniently know exactly where I want the numbering to start, but I was wondering: is there a way to alter the start point of the navigational table of contents so that I can select the start point? Below is a screenshot of the situation I am describing, taken on my iPad mini using iBooks. Although an InDesign fix would be convenient, I am very willing to edit the code. Please let me know what additional information may help.

Thanks much,

Jacob

iPadSS.PNG

• 1. Re: Minimizing inconsistencies between print document page numbers and fixed format ePub page numbers
          Douglas.Waterfall Adobe Employee

I don't have a good answer for you on this as I've been unable to get this to work as suspected either.

The next update will include support for the page-list for Fixed Layout and much to my surprise it did not result in changing the Navigation TOC page number (right side) values which you see.

Those seem to come from literally the index of the XHTML file where the target of the TOC is. If iBooks can't find the target it will show the entry as "...".

Where the page-list seems to make a difference on the iOS7/iBooks is when you're scrubbing the pages in the page view mode it will show in a grey oval the value of the page-list entry...which is now generated from the page number string from InDesign.

Perhaps that's changed in iOS8/iBooks, or perhaps other readers handle it differently - I never got a chance to try it on other readers.

Douglas