6 Replies Latest reply on Sep 21, 2014 10:58 AM by The picture works

How do I output just the rotoscoped object ?

The picture works Level 1

Just using AE for first time. Need nice smooth cut out of human to composite over BG.

Learned to get my mov in, use the roto brush etc until I see a good clean image in both layer and composition windows.

Go to render and have used both lossless and lossless with alpha, and get full video of original.

What am I missing?
      Thanks for basic instruction!

Patrick

• 1. Re: How do I output just the rotoscoped object ?
          Rick Gerard Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Turn on the view transparency option in the comp window. You should see a checkerboard background. Now make sure the active camera is selected. now render using the lossless with Alpha preset in the rendered cue. If you bring the rendered movie back into After Effects it will have a transparent background. If you look at the movie in any media player they will have a black background because this is normal.media players do not understand or use alpha channels.

• 2. Re: How do I output just the rotoscoped object ?

Thanks Rick. Active Camera button. Will have to find the tutorial on those options.

Had also set small range of original shot, yet it rendered the whole original clip. How do I set a selection for the frames that are to be rotoscoped as opposed to the full clip?

• 3. Re: How do I output just the rotoscoped object ?
              Dave LaRonde Level 6

Find the beginning of the part of the clip you want.  Put the timeline cursor there.  Hit Alt/Opt-[ to set an in point on the layer.  Hit the b key to set the beginning of the work area.

Find the end of the part of the clip you want.  Put the timeline cursor there.  Hit Alt/Opt-] to set an out point on the layer.  Hit the n key to set the end of the work area.

Go to Main Menu>Composition>Trim Comp To Work Area.  The comp is now as long as the part of the clip that you want.

Add the comp to the Render Queue and render.

This is REALLY basic stuff.  In addition to learning how to do the cool stuff, you really, Really, REALLY need to spend some quality time here:

Getting started with After Effects (CS4, CS5, CS5.5,  CS6, & CC)

People are going to get tired of holding your hand, so step lively.

1 person found this helpful
              • 4. Re: How do I output just the rotoscoped object ?

Thanks Dave. Everything I know is because I have to execute something. This is the first project where I haven't had the budget to hire out the AE items. 
                Appreciate the pointer to the getting started pages. There are a lot of those when I Google AE introduction etc.

Obviously the more time one invests, the more effective one can be with the tool.
                While I always prefer to hire out, the trend in budgets and content seems to be favoring the jack of all trades, one person at a desk.

I know the person who does color correction all day everyday will produce a better result than the one who does a little of this and a little of that or all in one.

(Bowing to those who have both invested time in their tools and who share what they know)
                Thanks!
                Patrick

• 5. Re: How do I output just the rotoscoped object ?
                  Todd_Kopriva Level 8

> Appreciate the pointer to the getting started pages. There are a lot of those when I Google AE introduction etc.

The benefit of the one that Dave pointed you to is that it was assembled by someone who has worked on After Effects for more than a decade and whose full-time job is to make sure that you succeed at using After Effects.

• 6. Re: How do I output just the rotoscoped object ?

Too bad I can't mark everything the 'correct' answer!