15 Replies Latest reply on Oct 4, 2014 8:20 AM by A.T. Romano

I have a continual issue with burning a DVD using premel 10?

skyrunner355 Level 1

I have a project all complete, (1 hour and 20 mins duration), ready to burn to DVD. Three times now I have now tried to burn, and three times after all the processes have been completed, but when the DVD was ejected from PC, it was completely blank, each occasion, using another DVD R. Nothing wrong with DVDs as have used them to burn images later etc.

This project is on a separate plugin hard drive.

Tried the suggestion, (found via help desk, which was to write to a file, then burn a DVD later, rather than direct to DVD. Tried this twice now, but unfortunately the designated file is blank. I had tried this few years back now, and same problem, which was that the designated file was empty.

Did try another option on Share, this time "Web DVD"  rather than "Disc" and yes have a computer version of my DVD, but no separate scenes, it is just one long uninterrupted DVD.

A previous project last month  which was even longer, was successfully burnt direct to DVD, first attempt.

Any further solutions please?

skyrunner

UK

• 1. Re: I have a continual issue with burning a DVD using premel 10?
          A.T. Romano Level 7

skyrunner

On what computer operating system is your Premiere Elements 10 running? What video card/graphics card does your computer use? And, does you computer use more than 1 video card/graphics card? Does your computer use a NVIDIA GeForce card? If Premiere Elements 10/NVIDIA GeForce, then stop, and let us know.

Can we assume that you are doing DVD-VIDEO on DVD disc and not AVCHD format on DVD disc? For now, I will assume DVD-VIDEO standard or widescreen on DVD disc.

Please be advised that webDVD is a flash file with menus that does not have the DVD-VIDEO structure. It is the one instance of the Timeline content exported to a file with a menu. Otherwise menus are only for burn to disc.

You referred to two projects for burn to DVD - one worked and the other did not. Please give us the details for each related to

Burn Dialog: Space Required and Bitrate. And with or without check mark next to "Fit Content to Available Space".

And, some drill type questions...

1. Do you have the latest version of QuickTime installed on your computer?

2. Are you running the program from a User Account with Administrative Privileges?

You wrote

I had tried this few years back now, and same problem, which was that the designated file was empty.

What computer did you use then and what version of Premiere Elements?

Let us start here and then we can decide what next.

Thank you.

ATR

• 2. Re: I have a continual issue with burning a DVD using premel 10?
            skyrunner355 Level 1

Hi A T Romano

I’ve made a start, my answers in red. Unfortunately the “technical” questions, I’m totally ignorant on, but my PC is being returned tomorrow to my local IT support chaps, one of whom made this pc for me a couple of years ago now. Reason being I did use Incredimail but due to them now being involved with malware issues, they are uninstalling, and completing a complete check. So they will be able to answer those questions on my behalf.

I’ve just thought of something, but can’t think it would cause these problems, as have always done this previously without issues. I always make these projects on a plug-in hard drive, rather than the built in hard drive, mainly to save space. Have 4 plug in of various size from 450GB to 1tb for my china visit few years back. Using the same one which has the two issues, one which burnt a dvd correctly and the one that failed. Size is 465 GB and 389 GB is free.

Will update you when my pc is collected possible on Wed.

Meanwhile thanks for your assistance so far.  I’ll ask the IT chaps re remaining answers which I can send  to you via my Ipad .

Jon

• 3. Re: I have a continual issue with burning a DVD using premel 10?
              A.T. Romano Level 7

jon

Thanks for the reply.

It is very important that we know what video card/graphics card your computer uses. If it is using a NVIDIA GeForce card and you are running Premiere Elements 10 on that computer, that is a major concern. The card information can be found under Control Panel/Device Manager/Display Adapters. The group servicing your system should be able to give us that information if you cannot find it. But, if DVD burn to is your only Premiere Elements issue, you may not have a NVIDIA GeForce card - one less factor.

We will be watching for further developments.

Best wishes

ATR

• 4. Re: I have a continual issue with burning a DVD using premel 10?
                skyrunner355 Level 1

Hi

We have added the missing responses below...

Many thanks

Darrell

• 5. Re: I have a continual issue with burning a DVD using premel 10?
                  A.T. Romano Level 7

Darrell

Thanks for the reply, but there is no information included where you wrote

We have added the missing responses below...

Please try again.

Thank you.

ATR

• 6. Re: I have a continual issue with burning a DVD using premel 10?
                    skyrunner355 Level 1

Hi, info was below but seems your system has cut it off – I have pasted it below:-

On what computer operating system is your Premiere Elements 10 running? Windows 7. Pro 64 Bit

What video card/graphics card does your computer use? AMD Radeon HD 65550D 512mb

And, does you computer use more than 1 video card/graphics card? No

Does your computer use a NVIDIA GeForce card? No

If Premiere Elements 10/NVIDIA GeForce, then stop, and let us know. N/A

Can we assume that you are doing DVD-VIDEO on DVD disc and not AVCHD format on DVD disc? Yes DVD but not AVCHD / Blu-ray.

For now, I will assume DVD-VIDEO standard or widescreen on DVD disc. DVD-video Widescreen, Have used both DVD-R and DVD-RW

Please be advised that webDVD is a flash file with menus that does not have the DVD-VIDEO structure. Thanks.

It is the one instance of the Timeline content exported to a file with a menu. Otherwise menus are only for burn to disc. ? ? Sorry not sure what this means...

You referred to two projects for burn to DVD - one worked and the other did not. Please give us the details for each related to. Both were to do with narrow boat cruising. Project 1, titled “Canal cruising 2013” duration about 1hr 20 mins, with 3 scenes, Canon camcorder uses AVCHD format, which I have had for some 5 years, and rarely had problems making DVDs.

Project 2, current one, titled “Last ever Cruise from Kings Bromley 2005” duration 1hr 3 mins, with 6 scenes. Old SANYO camcorder (long deceased) used mini tapes.

Burn Dialog: Space Required and Bitrate. And with or without check mark next to "Fit Content to Available Space". Tried both ways, “Fit content to available space” also having deselected tick box adjusted so that the space required was below 4GB whilst DVD-R and also tried DVD-RW are 4.7 GB. Used a total of 4 x DVD-R and 2 x DVD-RW

And, some drill type questions...

1. Do you have the latest version of QuickTime installed on your computer? Yes 7.7.5

2. Are you running the program from a User Account with Administrative Privileges? Yes

You wrote

I had tried this few years back now, and same problem, which was that the designated file was empty.

What computer did you use then and what version of Premiere Elements? Previous pc was Windows XP and Premeel 10 which is the only version I have, and purchased the programme disc, after using a 14 day free trial, not a download from website.

“Got caught out with Avid having used Pinnacle for several years, and always had download versions, which were a problem if one had a pc issue, when one required the code numbers to install again, to prove one had a legitimate copy, etc. Hence my preferred option for a disc programme”

• 7. Re: I have a continual issue with burning a DVD using premel 10?
                      skyrunner355 Level 1

Evening AT Romano,

Firstly many thanks for your assistance in this DVD burn issue.

Over past few days I have burnt three separate DVDs from the project which failed to burn, hence this query to you initially. All have burnt successfuly, as well as a short project about 15 minutes duration.

All seems most satisfactory, so many thanks indeed.

In one of your replies earlier you asked if any other issue, etc.

Did send this issue below, (Disc menus and sometimes lack of) but never saw any reply, so wondering if I need to commence this as a separate matter.

Many thanks

Jon

======================================================================

You say in last sentence about this maybe the only issue.

I have one but whether related or not I know not. When I purchased premel 10 cd-rom, this installed ok and made small project. When it came to "disc menus" only one was showing, but thought that on the free trial I had had, that there were more. Anyhow I then viewed your video tutorials, and when showing about "disc menus" which actually showed that there were many many more in fact.

Made contact with Adobe re this, they ( you maybe even) kindly supplied a web link where I could download them, and an explanation etc.

Problem is that every so often, all these "disc menus" have disappeared, except the one from cd-rom. Think that maybe this year, have downloaded and installed these, three times so far.

As I know how, and where to locate these missing "disc menus", and installed ok, have never contacted Adobe about this since, so could this actually be related somehow to the video/graphics card? Just rather frustrating but knowing how to resolve this particular issue, just something I have lived with, without recourse to contact you kind folk at Adobe.

Any solution please, and would or should the CD-rom have had more than one disc menu?

Don't really wish to uninstall Premeel 10, and re-instaall again, just to find out, about the missing Disc menus?

Thanks

• 8. Re: I have a continual issue with burning a DVD using premel 10?
                        A.T. Romano Level 7

skyrunner355

Great news about the successful burn to disc.

But, let us see what we can do about this disc menu situation.

When I wrote

It is the one instance of the Timeline content exported to a file with a menu. Otherwise menus are only for burn to disc. ? ? Sorry not sure what this means.

.That meant you are not going have menus included when you export Timeline content to a file saved to the computer hard drive.

But onward to your issue with the disc menus that go missing. Please confirm, are they disappearing from the computer hard drive save location or from the disc menu display within the program?

If they are disappearing from the computer hard drive, then please tell me that location in order to rule out any misunderstanding that relates to that location. The following is an excerpt from a recent blog I did on disc menu locations. The excerpt is specific for version 10

Premiere Elements 10

Windows 7, 8, or 8.1 64 bit Paths

Photoshop.com and Photoshop.com plus in Existence

Local Disk C\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe Premiere Elements 10\DVD Templates\Common\and in the Common Folder is one category folder named General which contains the "Fun" theme Folder which is installed when the program is.

(The path is the same in Windows XP 32 bit.)

also

Local Disk C\Program Files (x86)\Adobe\Adobe Premiere Elements 10\DVD Templates\Common\ and then 14 category folders in the Common Folder. The Common Folder obtains its full content of category folders (14) only after installation from Content Disc in box packaging or from online download using Adobe link.

(This path does not exist in Windows XP 32 bit. Consequently, Content disc or online download installs the 14 folders all at one time to the XP Program Files location

Local Disk C\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe Premiere Elements 10\DVD Templates\Common.)

also

Plus Members Only**

Local Disk C\Program Data\Adobe\Premiere Elements\10.0\Online\DVD Templates\ and then 5 category folders containing incomplete plus member only files which would be completed if user purchased theme(s) from photoshop.com plus membership. There is also a manifest.txt file in that DVD Templates Folder. These incomplete plus members only files are installed when the program is.***

(The path in Windows XP 32 bit is Local Disk C\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Premiere Elements\10.0\Online\DVD Templates\ and then 5 category folders plus a manifest.txt file in the DVD Templates Folder.)

When the disc menus disappear, which ones are consistently disappearing - all or a particular group of disc menus. By any chance are you involved with the group of disc menus that was classed as photoshop.com plus members only? Are you saying that when this disc menu issue hits, all you are left with is the default disc menu named Fun?

Let us start here and determine if you can find the answer for your issue.

Thanks.

ATR

• 10. Re: I have a continual issue with burning a DVD using premel 10?
                          skyrunner355 Level 1

Hi AT R

Just viewed the website video tutorial, and viewed again, now realised the speaker was introducing Premeel 9, not 10.

However my video tutorial DVD purchased from adobe is by Maxim Jago, re using Premeel 10. This is where I first realised that there were more disc menus, than displayed on my programme. It wasn’t initially and still isn’t, evident, until I finish a project, then go to disc menus, that I found they were in actual fact missing, and sometimes still go missing.

Anyhow the long and short of this email, was my viewing the web tutorial wasn’t directly Premeel 10, and by Jeff Sengstack.

Sorry for confusion.

Jon

• 11. Re: I have a continual issue with burning a DVD using premel 10?
                            A.T. Romano Level 7

Jon

Are you OK now on the Premiere Elements 10 disc menus?

You may also want to go through my detailed blog post on the subject of those PE 7, 8, 9, and 10 Content Downloads.

ATR Premiere Elements Troubleshooting: PE 7, 8, 9,10: Content Download

We will be watching for further developments when your schedule permits.

Thanks.

ATR

• 12. Re: I have a continual issue with burning a DVD using premel 10?
                              skyrunner355 Level 1

Good Morning AT R

Thanks for this reply, and viewed your blog.

This is how I have been doing this, since my initial call for assistance a  ew years back now, and which I seem to need re-installing on occasions.

On one occasion, (really worried by permitting someday else to use and control my pc remotely) permitted one of your colleagues to download these missing contents. He explained how he would do one content, told me how I could terminate this at anytime if worried, then showed how to download & install content 1 & 2, then we terminated the call, and I downloaded content 3.

It seems then that on the CD programme, for Elements 10, this  only the one disc menu available install, whilst the  remainder come under a free download.  Something I wouldn’t  have known about until I viewed at a later time, the  purchased video tutorial disc by Maxim, and again under the “Help” drop down menu, once I’m working on a project..

Therefore, once installed, any suggestions, as to why I do loose the free download disc contents on occasions, and any permanent remedy?

Thanks for your patience

Jon

• 13. Re: I have a continual issue with burning a DVD using premel 10?
                                A.T. Romano Level 7

skyrunner355

From what you described and from what I wrote, you should be targeting the following area for placement of the Content Download for 10.

Local Disk C\Program Files (x86)\Adobe\Adobe Premiere Elements 10\DVD Templates\Common\ and then 14 category folders in the Common Folder. The Common Folder obtains its full content of category folders (14) only after installation from Content Disc in box packaging or from online download using Adobe link.

If they all disappear at the same time, have you done an uninstall/reinstall of Premiere Elements 10 for some reason? That Content Download should be lost with the uninstall/reinstall. Do you have any program installed that might do an overzealous clean up of the computer periodically? Since you are aware the the problem, it is highly unlikely that you are deleting these disc menus yourself somehow.

What I would do as a safety net is to copy the currently complete Common Folder in the path cited above and transfer it to a 4 GB USB Flash Drive for storage. The Common Folder has a folder size of about 2 GB, so the 4 GB USB Flash Drive should serve the purpose. When the disc menus go missing, then just replace the flawed Common Folder with the intact one on the 4 GB USB Flash Drive.

Do you think that strategy will help until we can figure out the whys?

ATR

• 14. Re: I have a continual issue with burning a DVD using premel 10?
                                  skyrunner355 Level 1

Morning AT R

I have made copy onto a mamory stick, as you have suggested. Will also make a second backup on a disc on put into my Premeel CD-Rom box, as a certain spare, but easily know where to find web based download, but one never knows, when that may be superceeded.

Very many thanks for your assistance.

Think this resolves my issues. So again thanks.

Jon

: A.T. Romano

Sent: 03 October 2014 00:07

To: Jon Harvey

Subject:  I have a continual issue with burning a DVD using premel 10?

I have a continual issue with burning a DVD using premel 10?

created by A.T. Romano <https://forums.adobe.com/people/A.T.+Romano>  in Premiere Elements - View the full discussion <https://forums.adobe.com/message/6786160#6786160>

• 15. Re: I have a continual issue with burning a DVD using premel 10?
                                    A.T. Romano Level 7

skyrunner355

Backups for the backups is a good idea.

More than once I have run into the situation where excellent Adobe and other online documents have disappeared in the name of new and progress.

Best wishes

ATR