5 Replies Latest reply on Sep 24, 2014 7:35 AM by rob day

Indesign and Trap?

cbishop01 Level 2

Hi i am playing around with the trap on some of the stuff i'm messing with and when i adjust the trap on my images i do not see any difference.  Is there a way to view the trap before going to plates?  I turned on seperations and i see no difference

Thanks for all you help..

• 1. Re: Indesign and Trap?
          Jeffrey_Smith Most Valuable Participant

You can't see the trap effect in Indesign, but you can create a PDF that can. You need to print postscript, not export PDF for this to work. In the print window, turn these settings on: Output > Color: In-Rip Separations and Trapping: Application Built-In.

• 2. Re: Indesign and Trap?
            Migintosh Level 4

Jeffrey_Smith wrote:

You need to print postscript, not export PDF for this to work.

I predict you are going to get some resistance to this on the forum. A PostScript workflow has disadvantages over PDF, such as no native transparency in PostScript. Or is this just to view something and discard it instead of using it in production?

• 3. Re: Indesign and Trap?
              rob day Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Or is this just to view something and discard it instead of using it in production?

With InDesign trapping happens at output, so the only way to preview ID's trap setting is either printing separations or if you want to see them on screen, Jeffery's method. It's probably a waste of time unless you are the printer, because downstream the printer might not even use InDesign's or Acrobat's trapping.

• 4. Re: Indesign and Trap?
                cbishop01 Level 2

Its just to review it first to make sure the trap is set right.  Then will be sent to plates.  If i use Post script is this only for viewing?  For instance if i set indesign to trap will it show up on the Plate even if I export to PDF?  Or is the only way for trap to work period the Post Script way?

• 5. Re: Indesign and Trap?
                  rob day Adobe Community Professional & MVP

For instance if i set indesign to trap will it show up on the Plate even if I export to PDF?

There isn't a trapping option when you export to PDF, the trapping would have to happen when the separations are printed from Acrobat. With Adobe apps trapping is part of the print function—you don't apply traps to the page layout objects.

You could include traps with a composite PDF via In-Rip Separations to Distiller, but you would only do that if you were sure the printer was not capable of handling the trapping, which seems unlikely.

Here's Acrobat's trapping help page

Adobe Acrobat X Pro * Trap a PDF