12 Replies Latest reply on Sep 23, 2014 12:32 PM by sethjstrong

after effects crashing unpredictable, please help if you can?

sethjstrong Level 1

Only be happening for a week or so. seems to be related to blurs in adjustment layers. ill be using blurs to spot blur certain anatomy for a tv show. sometimes I track and blur  with mocha sometimes manual track. ill be adjusting a track or a mask and ill get one of several unusual  chrashes/errors. usually, its this: <6896> <BEEp_InitSoundPB> <0> Vid rate ratios min, max: 1, 1. . If I reload the project and delete and rebuild the adjusment layer blurs (Box blur and mosaic) and it will render fine. but this happens enough to be a considerable time waster and is interferring with my work. I've looked up the errors online and tried any suggestions i could find (although it seems this error appears for many differ3ent reasons?). I've deleted media cache, changed cache drives, reinstalled video card drivers deleted preferences, turned off open GL, run diagnostics on my CPU. RAM and GPU, all turned up fine. The only thing I havent tried is uninstalling and reinstalling AFX which i want to leave for a last resort as I have no time! Also, I have CC and CC14 installed (just use cs6 more often because of plugins) and when I load the project into CC and scrub or render I get the same problem, again until I delete and rebuild Adjustment layer. I even collected and moved the project onto a mac laptop and it gets the same error!!

• 1. Re: after effects crashing unpredictable, please help if you can?
          sethjstrong Level 1

I'm running windows 7 SP1, 32 GB ram, Quadro 6000, SDI card, the media cache is now on a esata drive, but was on an SSD. getting errors regardless of drive.

I recently upgraded to quadro 6000 from quadro FX 3800, and recently installed the SDI card as well as a 1200 watt PS.

Can ANYBODY help? oh, and there is NO audio in any of these files. using prores mostly but had same problem rendering to png seq.

• 2. Re: after effects crashing unpredictable, please help if you can?
            Onyro

I am getting similar problems with my z800 , 32GB Ram, quadro 6000, on After Effects 2104 CC as soon as i enable motionblur on any of the layers and try and scrubbing my machine crashes/switches off straight away... uninstalled afx, updated nvidia drivers etc.. still nada...  could someone from Adobe help?

• 3. Re: after effects crashing unpredictable, please help if you can?
              Szalam Adobe Community Professional & MVP

sethjstrong wrote:

I recently upgraded to quadro 6000 from quadro FX 3800, and recently installed the SDI card as well as a 1200 watt PS.

How recently? Like, right-before-the-problems-started kind of recently?

Onyro wrote:

I am getting similar problems with my...quadro 6000

Interestingly you both have the same GPU. Possible culprit?

Are both of you running Windows 7 SP1?

What exact version numbers of AE are you both using? (Not just "CS6, CC, and Cc 2014", but "11.0.4, 12.2.1.5, and 13.0.2")

Do the problems occur in all three versions of AE?

Can you replicate the problem with any regularity at all?

Onyro wrote:

could someone from Adobe help?

This is a user-to-user forum. Sometimes Adobe employees come in here during their free time, but if you want official Adobe help, you'll need to contact Adobe's Customer Support.

• 4. Re: after effects crashing unpredictable, please help if you can?
                sethjstrong Level 1

well, Ive tried cs6 11.0.0.378, cc 12 .2.0.52 and cc 2014 13.0.0.214.

installed hardware 1-2 weeks prior. have latest drivers for gpu and know others with same card with no problems. it doesnt happen all the time, but once a project is corrupted i can load the same comp and get the same error consistently.

• 5. Re: after effects crashing unpredictable, please help if you can?

sethjstrong wrote:

well, Ive tried cs6 11.0.0.378, cc 12 .2.0.52 and cc 2014 13.0.0.214.

Interesting that every single one of your versions is not the latest update. They should all be the version numbers I posted.

Now, I don't think that's the cause of your issue, but it's worth mentioning.

Any chance you could share one of the "corrupted" files for folks to test with? If you want Adobe themselves to look at it, you could file a bug report here: Adobe - Feature Request/Bug Report Form

Be sure to let them know that you're willing to provide project files. (But update your software first and try it out before you file the bug report.)

• 6. Re: after effects crashing unpredictable, please help if you can?
                    Dave LaRonde Level 6

sethjstrong wrote:

... once a project is corrupted i can load the same comp and get the same error consistently.

And how is THAT Happening?  In my 18 years of using AE, I have encountered precisely two corrupted project files, yet you write as if it's an everyday occurrence.

Of course, you may not be using the proper AE terminology, which confuses people.  Two possibilities immediately come to mind: you've learned AE intuitively, which is no easy task, or you've relied on lousy sources of information as you learned it.

Other possibilities aside, it sounds as it you'd benefit from some quality time here:

Getting started with After Effects (CS4, CS5, CS5.5, CS6, & CC)

• 7. Re: after effects crashing unpredictable, please help if you can?

sethjstrong wrote:

it doesnt happen all the time, but once a project is corrupted i can load the same comp and get the same error consistently.

What happens if you take a "corrupted" project file and clean everything out of it except for the offending comp, clean the offending comp out, place a simple solid layer in there (maybe animating a bit), and add a new adjustment layer with a blur over that?

Seeing as the problems started when you got a new GPU, I'm still thinking it may have something to do with the way it's configured on your system.

• 8. Re: after effects crashing unpredictable, please help if you can?
                        sethjstrong Level 1

I apologize if I'm not using the correct terminology, I did in fact teach myself after effects, if that's what you mean. I've been using it for about 14-15 years, but I have found like many of the programs I use, Ill never learn all there is to know, and I would definitely defer to your judgement Dave as I have a great deal of respect for your experience and AE knowledge, having read many of your helpful posts in the past. (thank you, you've helped me before, and did not know it)

This is the first time I've encountered this particular error. Let me see if I can describe it better. The show I work for often requires me to blur out certain objects or anatomical parts for approval by standards and practices. Usually my workflow is to either manually, or with mocha AE track the offending area with a mask applied to an adjustment layer that has a box blur and a mosiac filter applied to it. The problem arose last week when I went back to a project created the week prior to add more blur to an existing comp. I started to adjust the blur and while scrubbing through timeline after effects crashed, giving me the following error <19665> AE.blitpipe <2> making new context. (or a variation of that, unfortunately, I didn't write down the initial error as  at first I thought it was just an annomoly). When I reloaded the project I kept getting the same crash/error until I removed the adjustment layer and re tracked and blurred. I tried the same comp on a mac laptop and it got the error as well.  I managed to get the render out in time and continued to work in after effects problem free until another blur project arose. this project had 10 shots. I followed my usual workflow and had finished all 10 comps and as going back through to tweak some masks when the error occurred on comp 4. same problem. also it seems as though whenever i reach the same frame range in the timeline is when it crashes, and its not always on the same frame, just in the same general area on the timeline. this happens sometimes during scrubbing, but always during render or RAM preview. I can open the original project where the error occurred and still get the same error in the same area along the timeline. Honestly, Im wondering if I have a corrupted DLL and just need to reinstall after Effects., but the question remains, if that IS the case, why would the same project give me the same errors in each version of after effects I own? (CS6, CC & CC2014) This is why I say corrupted project... not sure what else to call it?

And Ive gotten a variety of error messages during crash, I've gotten the :<19665> AE.blitpipe <2> making new context as well as <6896> <BEEp_InitSoundPB> <0> Vid rate ratios min, max: 1, 1. and <271636><DynamicLink> <5>  c:/programfiles\adobe\adobe premiere...

also different faulted modules when I click on details, sometimes ADM.dll sometimes wintab32.dll.. not consistent at all. This doesn't happen evertime I apply a blur layer, its just seemed to occur when time was most precious and I really needed to get renders out! haha, well thats what it feels like anyway. my wor around is now to immediately delete the problem adjustment layer, retrack and blur, but I'm hoping to find an answer for this irritating puzzle. I hate not understanding why this is happening.

I appreciate the help on this. I will probably reinstall after effects or perhaps even windows once I find the time, but time is hard to come by.

Seth

• 9. Re: after effects crashing unpredictable, please help if you can?
                          sethjstrong Level 1

I know, that does seem suspiscious to me as well, but I have installed all of THOSE latest drivers for sure, and spoken with nVidia tech support, AND run several GPU stress tests, so I'm not sure what could be up with my GPU if thats the case?

• 10. Re: after effects crashing unpredictable, please help if you can?

Try rolling back to a previous version of the driver.

What format and codec is your footage encoded with?

• 11. Re: after effects crashing unpredictable, please help if you can?
                              sethjstrong Level 1

I will try that, thanks. The footage is prores 422. 1080i 29.97

• 12. Re: after effects crashing unpredictable, please help if you can?
                                sethjstrong Level 1

Oh, and I can't share a project pupblicly unfortunately. the show I work for often showcases rather  offensive youtube footage (which is the case for one of  these projects), and I would probably be fired if I shared raw show footage publicly.