3 Replies Latest reply on Apr 13, 2007 1:38 AM by Newsgroup_User

Transparency checkerboard alternative?

seanc2
      I'm trying to convert and export some screenshots as transparent GIFs. The color i selected to be transparent (gray) shows up mainly in chunks (what i want to be transparent) but also shows up in random pixels throughout the image after I export it, creating small "holes". I would like to go through and selectively make these pixels a different color so they are not made transparent, but I can't even see where they are because they blend into the checkerboard transparency pattern (gray and white!).

What i really need is a way to use something other than the gray and white checkerboard pattern for the transparency "background" ... a bright red, for example. I can't find any way to do this. Any suggestions?
        • 1. Re: Transparency checkerboard alternative?
          Level 7
          On Thu, 12 Apr 2007 18:20:47 +0400, seanc2 <webforumsuser@macromedia.com>
          wrote:

> I'm trying to convert and export some screenshots as transparent GIFs.
          > The
          > color i selected to be transparent (gray) shows up mainly in chunks
          > (what i
          > want to be transparent) but also shows up in random pixels throughout
          > the image
          > after I export it, creating small "holes". I would like to go through
          > and
          > selectively make these pixels a different color so they are not made
          > transparent, but I can't even see where they are because they blend into
          > the
          > checkerboard transparency pattern (gray and white!).
          >
          > What i really need is a way to use something other than the gray and
          > white
          > checkerboard pattern for the transparency "background" ... a bright red,
          > for
          > example. I can't find any way to do this. Any suggestions?

Probably put another layer below it, create red rectangle there, do what
          you want, then turn that layer invisible before export?

--
          Ilya Razmanov
          http://photoshop.msk.ru - Photoshop plug-in filters
          • 2. Re: Transparency checkerboard alternative?
            seanc2 Level 1
            Ilya-

Thanks for the response.

I tried that, unfortunately, the red rectangle doesn't show up in the Preview pane (i'm using the "2-Up" view).
            • 3. Re: Transparency checkerboard alternative?
              Level 7
              On Thu, 12 Apr 2007 19:42:44 +0400, seanc2 <webforumsuser@macromedia.com>
              wrote:

> Ilya-
              >
              > Thanks for the response.
              >
              > I tried that, unfortunately, the red rectangle doesn't show up in the
              > Preview pane (i'm using the "2-Up" view).

Huh, I should have though of it, sorry.

Temporarily out of ideas for your particular problem of changing the
              opacity preview, but maybe you should try using "Alpha transparency" and
              choose appropriate matte color, rather than directly selecting "Index"
              colors to be transparent? In this case all the pixels inside your mask are
              guaranteed to be opaque, and all the pixels outside - transparent.

--
              Ilya Razmanov
              http://photoshop.msk.ru - Photoshop plug-in filters