6 Replies Latest reply on Apr 14, 2007 6:47 AM by Newsgroup_User

Contrast

countonme99
      I am trying to increase the contrast of an image that I have already boosted the contrast on by 100 (FW 8). I saved as a PNG and tried to boost contrast more but didn't make a noticeable difference, so then exported it as a jpeg, thinking I could continue boosting the contrast of the jpeg, but it doesn't want to work. Seems that fireworks is remembering that I already did it. Also tried auto correct feature and contrast in Office picture manager, which displayed the result I wanted, Eureka, I thought, but it wouldn't save the pic I was viewing on the screen, just reverts to the original jpeg. Any of you very talented people out there have any suggestions how I can get around this issue? Thanks
        • 1. Re: Contrast
          Level 7
          After you push the contrast of an image to 100% I don't think you will
          be able to push it further. If the desired effect you are looking for is
          not what you expect from having the contrast at 100% maybe it is a
          matter of applying other filter(s) to the image.

Could you post an example of what you are after?

alex

countonme99 wrote:
          > I am trying to increase the contrast of an image that I have already boosted
          > the contrast on by 100 (FW 8). I saved as a PNG and tried to boost contrast
          > more but didn't make a noticeable difference, so then exported it as a jpeg,
          > thinking I could continue boosting the contrast of the jpeg, but it doesn't
          > want to work. Seems that fireworks is remembering that I already did it. Also
          > tried auto correct feature and contrast in Office picture manager, which
          > displayed the result I wanted, Eureka, I thought, but it wouldn't save the pic
          > I was viewing on the screen, just reverts to the original jpeg. Any of you
          > very talented people out there have any suggestions how I can get around this
          > issue? Thanks
          >
          • 2. Re: Contrast
            Level 7
            On Thu, 12 Apr 2007 06:46:32 +0400, countonme99
            <webforumsuser@macromedia.com> wrote:

> I am trying to increase the contrast of an image that I have already
            > boosted
            > the contrast on by 100 (FW 8). I saved as a PNG and tried to boost
            > contrast
            > more but didn't make a noticeable difference, so then exported it as a
            > jpeg,
            > thinking I could continue boosting the contrast of the jpeg, but it
            > doesn't
            > want to work. Seems that fireworks is remembering that I already did
            > it. Also
            > tried auto correct feature and contrast in Office picture manager, which
            > displayed the result I wanted, Eureka, I thought, but it wouldn't save
            > the pic
            > I was viewing on the screen, just reverts to the original jpeg. Any of
            > you
            > very talented people out there have any suggestions how I can get around
            > this
            > issue? Thanks
            >

You may try using "Levels" and pulling input sliders as close to each
            other as possible. However, for me "Brightness and Contrast" is also
            capable to give pretty high contrast, making image so ugly that I doubt
            anybody need more contrast with it.

--
            Ilya Razmanov
            http://photoshop.msk.ru - Photoshop plug-in filters
            • 3. Re: Contrast
              countonme99 Level 1
              Pardon my ignorance, but I can't figure out how to post a picture. I'm very new to this forum business! I took a screen cap of the before and after from Office picture manager preview. Just for some reason it won't save with the changes applied. I have tried some other filters, but haven't found any so far that give me what picture manager has in the preview. I haven't tried Ilya's suggestion, I reckon that's next thing to try when I get back to the other computer.
              Thanks
              Drew
              • 4. Re: Contrast
                Level 7
                On Fri, 13 Apr 2007 06:14:45 +0400, countonme99

> Pardon my ignorance, but I can't figure out how to post a picture. I'm
                > very
                > new to this forum business!

This NG have very tight limit on post size, as long as I remember (and
                probably attachmments are not allowed anyway), so you can't post image
                here. Instead, upload it to some web site and send here the link to the
                image.

--
                Ilya Razmanov
                • 5. Re: Contrast
                  countonme99 Level 1
                  Thanks Ilya,
                  I tried your suggestion about the levels and the sliders. I think with a bit more playing around with it I can get what I was after. The idea with this particular image is to just leave an impression of the shape colour and texture of the original, so it's not about trying to correct an image without enough contrast. Otherwise I would totally agree with your other comment about 100% being enough!
                  Cheers
                  Drew
                  • 6. Re: Contrast
                    Level 7
                    On Sat, 14 Apr 2007 09:38:27 +0400, countonme99

> Thanks Ilya,
                    > I tried your suggestion about the levels and the sliders. I think with
                    > a bit
                    > more playing around with it I can get what I was after. The idea with
                    > this
                    > particular image is to just leave an impression of the shape colour and
                    > texture
                    > of the original, so it's not about trying to correct an image without
                    > enough
                    > contrast. Otherwise I would totally agree with your other comment about
                    > 100%
                    > being enough!
                    > Cheers
                    > Drew
                    >

In general, "Brightness and Contrast" is merely a subset of "Levels", and
                    "Levels" is a subset of "Curves". "Curves" allow you to apply any
                    arbitrary function you want. As a result, they are not so easy to control
                    sometimes. "Levels" allow you to apply "gamma" curve (controlled by math
                    "power" function). "Levels" are more limited, but it's easier to control
                    white point, black point, and "gamma". "Brightness and Contrast" is even
                    more limited, allowing you apply linear function (which is a particular
                    case of "power" function, with "gamma" set to 1.0). So, I think it's a
                    good idea to learn tools in that order: "Brightness and Contrast" first
                    (it's limited but intuitive), "Levels" next, and then "Curves".

--
                    Ilya Razmanov