4 Replies Latest reply on Sep 17, 2007 11:52 AM by ideawww

WIndows XP 64 detection

Alexlives Level 1
      I was wondering if anyone knows how to detect whether someone is running XP 64?
        • 1. Re: WIndows XP 64 detection
          Level 7
          Not sure, but on 32 bit, this works:

put the platform
          -- "Windows,32"

I don't have a 64 bit version of Windows to test with, but I would bet
          that it looks something like this:

put the platform
          -- "Windows,64"
          • 2. Re: WIndows XP 64 detection
            Alexlives Level 1
            platform only indicates for what environment the movie was created for. Perhaps, there is a registry that indicates this?
            • 3. WIndows XP 64 detection
              SafariTECH Level 1
              As far as I know there is no direct way to test for that.

Is there a reason why you need to know the bit level? Is it just for demographical reasons?

Director projectors are 32 bit apps, so they will run on a 32 or 64 bit OS - it just runs on the 64 bit OS in a 32 bit wrapper.

You can really only test for anything you can find in the System Info applet.

You can find out of it is XP or not, and you can find out the processor type, but the 2 together do not mean they are running a 64 bit OS just because they have a 64 bit processor.

You could test to see if the "Program Files (x86)" folder exists, or for various registry keys, such as "WOW6432node". Each of these only appear on the 64 bit versions of Windows ... XP or Vista.

If you don't need it then I wouldn't really worry about it.

If you really want to test for these, BuddyAPI can be a lot of help.

• 4. Re: WIndows XP 64 detection
                ideawww
                The answer lies within the Buddy API.

Using baVersion, if it's a XP 64 bit system the answer will state - Win2003.

You will not find this in the buddy api documentation, I found this by trial and error.