0 Replies Latest reply on Apr 12, 2007 5:40 AM by rlo0323

how should a TOC look?

rlo0323
      Folks, a newbie question:

Ok, so, I’ve not had any training, and no books, just the robohelp-html o/l help system. And I have some issues.

Problem: trying to load 300 pages of old documentation into robohelp-html (webhelp format), to get it around, and get feedback from folks on what/how to improve the documentation.

Media: the doc was done by various authors, at different times, with different objectives. So, I have done the following:
      - created word styles for heading 1,2,3, for body text and for (un-numbered) lists
      - converted the doc to these styles
      - separated the doc into 12 chapters, each in it’s own folder, extracting embedded pictures, and creating a toc for each chapter (no page numbering, ‘classic’ style)

now, when I load a chapter just to test, I get a strange result (or maybe, this is what it is supposed to look like?):
      - chapter x has a layout sort of like this:
      o H1
      § H2 with some text
      § H2
      · H3 with some text
      · H3 with some text
      § H2 with some text
      o H1
      § H2
      · H3 with some text
      · H3 with some text
      - when I bring it in to robohelp-html, using the word import function (and I say create topic with H1), and running ‘generate primary layout’, I see:
      o 2 ‘books’ in the toc, one book each for each of the H1
      o when I expand the 2 books, I get under the first box (the first H1)
      § a ‘question mark’ box with the first H2 title
      § a book for the next H2 with ‘question mark’ boxes for each of the H3 titles
      o etc for the 2nd H1 book

- IS THIS THE FORMATTING I’M SUPPOSED TO BE GETTING? Seems kind of odd, yet it clearly has structure.

I’ve tried various combinations when I do the import function, but they don’t seem to alter much. And I could be at this combo testing for quite some time – so I thought I’d ask for some input.

Thanks, Ron