8 Replies Latest reply on Sep 23, 2014 9:09 AM by A.T. Romano

Can I edit one project on two computers with external drive and two copies of software?

Jazziegirl Level 1

I have two copies of premiere elements. One on IMac and one on Macbook. Video files on external drive. I want to be able to edit same project on both. I originally started the project on macbook but IMac doesn't see the exsisting project.  Can I do this? thanks for the help

• 1. Re: Can I edit one project on two computers with external drive and two copies of software?
          Stefan Gruenwedel Adobe Employee

Hi Jazziegirl,

I haven't ever used Premiere Elements but I don't see why you can't open the Premiere Elements on a different machine and have the project open the externally stored media, as long as the external drive is properly seen by that computer.

Here are the help tutorials for using Premiere Elements, in case they help:

Adobe Premiere Elements Help | Getting Started Tutorials

Hope this helps!

Stefan

• 2. Re: Can I edit one project on two computers with external drive and two copies of software?
            A.T. Romano Level 7

Jazziegirl

According to the Adobe Licensing Agreement, the user is permitted to use the same purchased serial number on no more than 2 of his/her computers, but not use at the same time.

More detail on "doesn't see the existing project" might help us to help you use the MacBook project on the iMac.

I originally started the project on macbook but IMac doesn't see the existing project.

I am strictly an Elements Windows user, but see if this works for you on MacBook and iMac.

1. In Premiere Elements MacBook Pro project, archive the project using File Menu/Project Archiver/Copy Project Option.

2. Transfer the resulting Copied Folder to a USB Flash Drive.

3. Use the USB Flash Drive to get the Copied Folder to the iMac.

4. On the iMac, open the Copied Folder, right click the project.prel file, select Open With, followed by Adobe Premiere Elements .....

You never did say what version of Premiere Elements that you are using. I will assume 12/12.1 for now.

In what you were attempting to do, is there some sort of "homegroup" sharing supposed to be going on between

the MacBook Pro and the iMac?

Please review and consider. This is not Adobe. Rather user to user.

Thanks.

ATR

• 3. Re: Can I edit one project on two computers with external drive and two copies of software?
              A.T. Romano Level 7

Stefan Greunwedel

I did not see your post until I posted my reply.

You wrote

I haven't ever used Premiere Elements but I don't see why you can't open the Premiere Elements on a different machine and have the project open the externally stored media, as long as the external drive is properly seen by that computer.

Just what Adobe products have you worked with and are responsible for? Are you part of the Adobe Help Staff?

What about the Adobe Licensing Agreement aspects of the matter as I mentioned in my post numbered 2?

ATR

• 4. Re: Can I edit one project on two computers with external drive and two copies of software?
                Stefan Gruenwedel Adobe Employee

Hi ATR,

Jazziegirl said she has two copies of Premiere Elements, so I figured the licensing issue did not apply. This seemed to be more of a project asset management issue.

(To answer your questions: I work on the Creative Cloud Learn team, which produces tutorials about many CC products. My focus is Premiere Pro and After Effects. I moved this post from a different forum to this one.)

Stefan

• 5. Re: Can I edit one project on two computers with external drive and two copies of software?
                  A.T. Romano Level 7

Stefan

Thanks for the reply.

We will be watching for Jazziegirl's clarification and further details to determine if one or two issues exist related to

Adobe Licensing Agreement and disconnects between source media and project.

Thanks for transferring Jazziegirl's thread here to the Adobe Premiere Elements Forum.

ATR

• 6. Re: Can I edit one project on two computers with external drive and two copies of software?
                    Jazziegirl Level 1

Thank you for responding. Stefan thank you for transferring me to the correct thread.

I'm switching over from 35yrs in stills to video so I apologize for my lack of knowledge.

Yes I have two copies of Premiere Elements 12. Adobe told me I couldn't have it on two computers. I will try A.T.'s suggestions tonight.

I'm working off an external drive and saving to it.

The IMac does see the video files and project .prel files on the external drive. What I'm having trouble with is having Premiere see the project file with the editing I've already done on the Macbook. I will try the open with option with the .prel.  That could be my problem. I was just clicking on it.

• 7. Re: Can I edit one project on two computers with external drive and two copies of software?
                      Jazziegirl Level 1

Found several problems. When I click on some of the .prel files they open with no problem on the second computer. I was trying to open a specific one so didn't realize some would open.

1. Other files I get the following message which is strange since they were all done with the same program and I'm trying to open them one after the other to test them.

The system extension "/System/Library/Extensions/AppleUSBEthernetHost.kext" was installed improperly and cannot be used. Please try reinstalling it, or contact the product's vendor for an update.

2. The files were being stored automatically on my external drive. I couldn't find the file I'm having trouble with so I went to Save As and noticed it was going on my mac drive instead. 

3. Another thing that has just begun is I'm opening Premiere and it tells me I have to sign in, it's a trial version and do I want to puchase. I closed it all out and my full version comes up. I purchased Premier at BestBuy so never had the trial version.

I'm not sure what is causing all of these changes when I haven't done anything different.

• 8. Re: Can I edit one project on two computers with external drive and two copies of software?
                        A.T. Romano Level 7

jazziegirl

Thanks for the follow up.

The matter of the sign in/trial version has happened to me from time to time with Premiere Elements (I worked with Windows). I supply

the requested information and that usually takes care of that message for a long while.

What is the status of the issue now with the MacBook Pro to iMac projects? Is that matter restricted to just one project from MacBook Pro to iMac?

If so, on this particular one, did you try the Project Archiver/Copy Project workflow in MacBook Pro?

As for the error message...I am not a Mac user, and consequently I am not sure I am interpreting the following correctly. But take a look to see if any of it applies

Have you looked at the permissions on your file?

USB tethering lost after installing iphone conf... | Apple Support Communities

iTunes 11.4 - All Things Apple | DSLReports Forums

"System extension cannot be used -- The system ... | VMware Communities

Please review and then let us know the outcome.

Thank you.

ATR