8 Replies Latest reply on Sep 20, 2014 10:16 PM by A.T. Romano

imported video becomes very fidgety

Aaeru1022

I am trying to import a screen capture video that is recorded at 18FPS and although the source video is smooth, when I import it to adobe premiere elements 9 the video becomes very fidgety.

• 1. Re: imported video becomes very fidgety
          John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

What software are you using for screen capture, and does it let you record at a higher frame rate?

Also, does your video contain variable or constant frame rate?

Report back with the codec details of your file, use the programs below... A screen shot works well to SHOW people what you are doing

http://forums.adobe.com/thread/592070?tstart=30 for screen shot instructions

Free programs to get file information for PC/Mac http://mediaarea.net/en/MediaInfo/Download

• 2. Re: imported video becomes very fidgety
            Aaeru1022 Level 1

ok so for screen capture i'm using Microsoft expression encoder 4 pro sp2 it screen captures directly to the disc leaving encoding for later which makes it ideal for recording on low performance pc's

the set up i'm using is there are 4 of us:

2 on lap tops recording at 14-16fps

1 on a old desk top recording at 16-18fps

and me on my new upgraded PC recording at 29-32 fps

premier is perfectly fine with my video however all of the other videos are made fidgety 

as for codecs the screen capture is encoded to wmv3 VC-1 codec and then converted to AVI xvid codec before being imported to premier

i've tried multiple presets, only importing the low fps videos, import one at a time, re-encoding the videos to a new fps.

and right now i'm attempting something a bit ridiculous but is most likely going to work and that is:

plying back my friends smooth screen capture and then re-capturing it at 35 fps so that the video is now the same specs as my original capture.

this will take allot of time but i don't see why it wouldn't work

and so i would very much appreciate if you had another solution for me

here's the screen shots:

premier screen:

premear screen.png

Encoder screen

encoder screen.png

Capture settings:

capture setings.png

system specs.png

System Specs

• 3. Re: imported video becomes very fidgety
              A.T. Romano Level 7

aaenu1022

Thank you for the detail on your Premiere Elements 9 on Windows 7 64 bit issue related to editing of your screen captures.

I am 99.9999% certain that most, if not all, your issue targets your choice of video compression for your .avi file. Xvid video compression is the

worse possible video compression to be using in Premiere Elements (any version). This is a long known issue.

Your choices are of concern....

a. Frame rates are typically 25, 50, 29.97/30, 60. There are no import nor export settings for a frame rate of 35 frames per second. So, where

is the 35 frames per seconds coming from?

b. The bitrate is out of sight at 50000 kbps (kilobits per second) equivalent to 50 Mbps (megabits per second). Why?

c, What are those MPEG4.avi that I see in the screenshot of your Premiere Elements Timeline? AVCHD.avi and H.264.avi are not supported

by Premiere Elements. Not sure what that MPEG4 is in this case. Where is the MPEG4.avi coming from?

What other choices do you have for the format of the file that you will be bringing into Premiere Elements 9?

Summary...please supply the properties of the output file that is coming from the screen capture program.

Video compression, audio compression, frame rate, interlaced or progressive, file extension, pixel aspect ratio.

And explain why you are converting the .wmv to Xvid.avi? And, what alternative do you have to Xvid.avi if Premiere Elements will not

let you import the .wmv file.

Side note:

1. If you are not, you should be working with the 9.0.1 Update of the program.

2. Premiere Elements 9.0/9.0.1 is a 32 bit application running in your Windows 7 64 bit and as such has all the limitations of 32

bit system, namely maximum supported installed RAM = 4 GB of which 3.2 to 3.0 or less of that is available. Keep in mind with your

16 GB installed RAM.

ATR

• 4. Re: imported video becomes very fidgety
                Aaeru1022 Level 1

the fps and bit rate i choose for capture is a max fps not an absolute. basically i'm telling the program to do its best

both of these aspects change when i encode the videos

the mpeg avi is a file name adon from the video converter that i'm using which can convert to basically anything i just choose xvid avi not knowing that it would be a problem

so what would be the best file extension and codec to use?

as for the properties of the files i cant give you the specifics of the screen capture file as i cant find it but the encoded file is different for each capture:

i just recorded a little walk through of my process it should show you everything i'm doing:

its going to take about 30 min to encode then i'll post it here

• 5. Re: imported video becomes very fidgety
                  Aaeru1022 Level 1

here's the video describing my process:

• 6. Re: imported video becomes very fidgety
                    A.T. Romano Level 7

Aaeru1022

Thanks for all your information. Very helpful.

1. Are you sure that you cannot import the screen capture program's .wmv into Premiere Elements 9.0/9.0.1 without the conversion to another format?

If you cannot work with that .wmv format in Premiere Elements 9.0/9.0.1, then determine if you can get from your converter a

H.264.mp4 file 1280 x 720 16:9 @ 29.97 progressive frames per second, bitrate about 15000 kbps (15 Mbps). Best I can determine from

the YouTube video, your original frame size seems to be in that area.

a. I think that you need to re-evaluate your project preset that you set in the new project dialog that you face when you open a new project. I suspect that you are leaving it at the default which is NTSC DV Standard 4:3, and you appear to be working with 1280 x 720 16:9 source media. Please set the project preset for NTSC

FLIP

Flip Mino HD and Ultra HD 29.97

and then import your files into the project.

Double check to determine if you have the latest version of QuickTime installed on your computer with Premiere Elements.

2. Your YouTube video shows your Timeline content with a red line over it. Is that red line present over the Timeline content that you are playing

back in the Edit area monitor? If so, that might be a major oversight with an easy fix. If you have not already, press the Enter key of the computer main keyboard in order to get the best possible preview of that Timeline content in the Edit area monitor. When the Timeline content render is complete, the red line will turn green. At that point, you should be viewing the best possible preview.

3. What is this output file from Premiere Elements 9.0/9.0.1? Share/Computer/then what? I think that we need to go over the export settings. Do you have export format and file size requirements for your project? But, first let us workout the setup of the project up to the point of export.

If you have questions or need clarification, please do not hesitate to let me know.

Thanks again for the follow up.

ATR

• 7. Re: imported video becomes very fidgety
                      Aaeru1022 Level 1

i basically want to export the file with the same settings as my largest input file which is 1280x720 30 fps 13811 kbps in either a wmv avi or mp4 format also i would like to stay clear of quick time codecs as they are the ones i know least about

also about the updating to 9.1 the computer has tried to do so many times but has failed every time. could that be due to a lack of quick time being present on my pc?

• 8. Re: imported video becomes very fidgety
                        A.T. Romano Level 7

Aaeru1022

It is very late where I am so I will post the suggested export settings for your Timeline content in the later morning.

Please install the latest version of QuickTime on your computer with Premiere Elements. Problems otherwise.

Best download and install the Premiere Elements 9.0.1 Update from the following Adobe link. There are various reasons for the problems trying to do that update from within an open project Help Menu/Update.

Adobe - Premiere Elements : For Windows : Premiere Elements 9.0.1 update

Thanks for the follow ups. Appreciated.

ATR