11 Replies Latest reply on Sep 21, 2014 9:17 PM by Joel Cherney

Non-editable element in an InDesign document.

Joe_Caldwell Level 1

Hello, all.

I need to add a non editable element to my InDesign document. This element will be my copyright notice. Although I will be sharing this InDesign document with others and will allow them to modify or customize it to their needs I wish to make my copyright notice non-editable so users will not have the option to remove the notice.

Is there a way to make an element non-editable in an InDesign document so users can modify anything they want but that one element ?

Thank you,

Joe.

• 1. Re: Non-editable element in an InDesign document.
          Willi Adelberger Most Valuable Participant

You can't protect anything for editing in InDesign. If someone has InDesign, he can edit EVERYTHING.

• 2. Re: Non-editable element in an InDesign document.
            Joe_Caldwell Level 1

I thought it might be possible via special layer.

From what you are saying I can't even lock a specific layer where the element is located, right ?

As comprehensive as InDesign is as a publishing platform, it is difficult to believe it doesn't have such a feature.

Thank you,

Joe.

• 3. Re: Non-editable element in an InDesign document.
              Test Screen Name Most Valuable Participant

IT would be pointless. Even if such a feature were thre anyone could stick opaque content on top. Or copy/paste all the unlocked content in seconds.

• 4. Re: Non-editable element in an InDesign document.
                Joe_Caldwell Level 1

Hi, Test Screen Name.

I understand your point but still think this feature would be possible with all the resources available and if Adobe wanted to add it. The non-editable element could be restricted to the top most layer (no layers could be moved above it), and the user could draw a frame that would delineate an area around this element where nothing could be placed to avoid attempts to hide or cover it.

This could be an interesting feature and one I am sure many users would like to have in InDesign.

• 5. Re: Non-editable element in an InDesign document.
                  Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

And what would you do to remove it when it's time?

• 6. Re: Non-editable element in an InDesign document.
                    BobLevine MVP & Adobe Community Professional

Don¹t' confuse your own interest with that of other users. I've seen very

little in the way of requests for anything like that I've been around for a

long time.

• 7. Re: Non-editable element in an InDesign document.
                      Joe_Caldwell Level 1

In my specific case I wouldn't remove it. Period. This is my copyright notice. I am allowing other users to benefit from the document I have created and giving them the freedom to modify it if they wish. The document is being provided free of cost and the least I expect is to maintain my copyright and to be recognized as the original creator of the document.

For other situations when it may be necessary to remove it later, it could be done following a similar process to that available in Acrobat. Acrobat users have the option to assign passwords for different levels of access to PDF documents (read, print and/or edit). A similar option could be made available in InDesign so that the original creator of the non-editable element would use a password to make the non-editable element once again editable and then modify or delete it.

• 8. Re: Non-editable element in an InDesign document.
                        Joe_Caldwell Level 1

Bob Levine,

I think you misunderstood my question. I am looking for this feature and believe once it is made available or at least it is available for discussion, many users may find it interesting. Copyright is certainly an important issue to any artist or anyone creating digital content these days. I have no doubt users in general would like a feature that would allow them to insert a non-editable/non-removable element on documents they create.

In addition, as I explained on my previous e-mail, it should be difficult to implement such a feature considering Adobe currently offers something similar on its Acrobat application.

• 9. Re: Non-editable element in an InDesign document.
                          BobLevine MVP & Adobe Community Professional

You’ll find any security in a PDF so simple to defeat it’s not worth implementing.

Look, I understand what you want, but InDesign’s purpose it to create content, not protect it.

• 10. Re: Non-editable element in an InDesign document.
                            Willi Adelberger Most Valuable Participant

If anything is locked in a PDF file you can’t print it, no RIP or APPE will be able to create a high end output.

InDesign is supposed to produce content for printing, PDF or other output. If anything is locked this would have to be respected in all form of outputs too otherwise it would be easy to remove it on the output. Not every form of output has a possibility to lock elements, only PDF. But there are tools (most of the illegal) out in the field which are unlocking PDFs.

• 11. Re: Non-editable element in an InDesign document.
                              Joel Cherney Adobe Community Professional & MVP

In addition, as I explained on my previous e-mail, it should be difficult to implement such a feature considering Adobe currently offers something similar on its Acrobat application.

My gut feeling here - not meaning to be offensive - is that you probably have no idea how hard or easy it is to lock something down. I am no developer, but I spend enough time working with devs to have a vague idea how hard it is to make something like what you're describing. And Bob is right about, defeating Acrobat security is trivial.

It is not difficult but impossible to do what you ask for. All you can do is make it difficult to remove your copyright statement, and that difficulty varies according to the technical skills of the person(s) who wish to remove your copyright statement.. In your shoes, I'd just make it annoying to remove, and that would probably defeat 95% of the casual thieves who would file off the serial numbers and call your work their own. Heck, just locking it would defeat more than half of the casual uncredited reuse, if the frequency of posts here is to be believed. Put it behind a locked transparent frame on a locked layer and you've made it more difficult.

I think that there may well be an untapped market for the feature you are describing, Joe - but if I were once again in your shoes, I'd be pitching it wherever Framemaker users hang out.