1 Reply Latest reply on Sep 21, 2014 3:29 AM by Mylenium

Rotobrush tips and techniques

NimChimpski Level 1

Hi All,

I have begun a rotobrush project with old film from 1914. The footage was probably shot at 16 or 18fps and the aim is to use Twixtor to slow it to 30%. When it works it looks awesome BUT.......

The current sequence is about 24 secs long and is old and flickery which drives rotobrushes predictor function crazy. I have gone through the sequence and flattened out the luma fluctuations fairly well and now it adheres to reasonably what one would expect. Here is my concern: earlier in the sequence - say 5 secs in - I could draw a corrective line and see the correction almost immediately and move on but now - about 12 secs into the clip - it can take 15 - 20 secs for each corrective stroke to take hold. Prior to a reboot it was also going unresponsive on every stroke but always recovering. I have a Z600 8 core 20 gig ram and K4000. Is this as good as I should expect or should I be sleuthing problems in my kit?

• 1. Re: Rotobrush tips and techniques
          Mylenium Most Valuable Participant

Well, the longer the propagation, the longer it takes to calculate since corrective strokes may also affect past frames. It works in both directions. You can only start from scratch wit ha new base frame and shorter spans, but of course the area between to ranges will then potentially flicker/ jump...

Mylenium