3 Replies Latest reply on Sep 21, 2014 8:58 PM by Jao vdL

won't import old image files

cameramite

Help,

I have a series of directories with 20 year old image files. Mac Info says they are tiffs. Photoshop can open them, preview can open them. Lightroom doesn't even recognize them, I don't even get typical lightroom errors. And these were copied over from CD roms where they were backed up in the era before harddrives were big. And interestingly, some files are recognized and added. Anyone sen anything like this?

• 1. Re: won't import old image files
          cameramite Level 1

And interestingly, now that I try to do some batch processing with Bridge, bridge appears to have the same file recognition issue. I guess this some sort of OS permission issue, not Lightroom. Seems like something is corrupt with the majority of these files where certain apps simply don't recognize them.

• 2. Re: won't import old image files
            Bob Somrak Level 5

If the files don't have a .TIF filename extension then add an extension to one of the files  and then see if it will import.

• 3. Re: won't import old image files
              Jao vdL Adobe Community Professional & MVP

>If the files don't have a .TIF filename extension then add an extension to one of the files  and then see if it will import.

Bob is right. That is probably the issue. Lightroom doesn't recognize the old filetype/creator metadata codes that Macs used to use 20 years ago so won't recognize that they are image files if there is no extension. You might not realize there is no extension as Mac OS X stupidly hides those by default. You should always turn that option off in the Finder presences->advanced.