2 Replies Latest reply on Sep 21, 2014 8:52 PM by Matt-Schwartz-79

Does camera raw update when I update Lightroom?

Matt-Schwartz-79

I had Lightroom 4.3, and just updated to Lightroom 4.4. Does the Camera Raw version (and maybe DNG converter) update to the latest versions when I update Lightroom? Or do I need to update the Camera Raw and DNG Converter manually? How do I find out what versions of those are currently installed?

Also, does Lightroom 4.4 support the newest Camera Raw version?

Thanks for any help!

• 1. Re: Does camera raw update when I update Lightroom?
          DdeGannes Level 5

NO! Lightroom does not have the Adobe Camera Raw Plugin, this plugin is used in Photoshop CS and PS Elements.

Lightroom has the same raw processing engine built into the program as Adobe Camera Raw. e.g. Lr 4.3 is the equivalent of ACR 7.3 and LR 4.4 is the equivalent of ACR 7.4

So Lightroom itself is updated independently from ACR.

Lightroom is a complete stand alone software application and does not require the installation of any other Adobe applications on your computer for it to function. The Develop Module in LR provides the same functions as ACR.

Adobe Camera Raw is a Plugin for Photoshop.

The Adobe DNG Converter is also a stand alone product which sole purpose is to convert raw files from supported digital cameras to the DNG format.

e.g (The latest DNG Converter 8.6 can convert raw files from new camera models not supported by LR 4.4 to the DNG format and enable LR 4.4 to work with those files.)

Quote "Also, does Lightroom 4.4 support the newest Camera Raw version?"

No the Latest version of ACR is 8.6 the equivalent is LR 5.6

• 2. Re: Does camera raw update when I update Lightroom?
            Matt-Schwartz-79 Level 1

Thank you, this was very helpful and made everything clear to me.