4 Replies Latest reply on Sep 23, 2014 1:55 PM by ECBowen

Mac Mini?

Benjamino94

Hey,

I have a strict budget on film-making and 3000€ (~3800$) is the ideal value I'd like to spend. I have chosen a camera (Canon EOS 6D) which is around half of the budget plus the lenses that reaches close to the maximum budget. However, I need a computer for film-editing that runs Adobe Premiere + Adobe After Effects I have been looking at Apple Mac Mini, which fits perfectly to the budget considering that I already own a monitor, keyboard + mouse and speakers. What I have heard that it's not the best for film-editing but do you think that it will do the job?

There is two versions of Apple Mac Mini, which I have been looking at.

The difference is around 200$

CHEAPER VERSION - For this cheaper version I could use another 100-200$ to buy more RAM.

• 2.5 GHz dual-core Intel Core i5 processor
      • 4 GB 1600 MHz DDR3 SDRAM
      • Intel HD Graphics 4000 graphics card.
      • 500 GB hard drive, 5400 rpm.
      • SDXC memory card slot.
      • Four USB 3.0 ports, FireWire 800, Thunderbolt, HDMI, Gigabit Ethernet, and audio in / out jacks.
      • Wi-Fi (IEEE 802.11n), Bluetooth 4.0.

SLIGHTLY MORE EXPENSIVE VERSION

• 2.3 GHz quad-core Intel Core i7 processor
      • 4 GB 1600 MHz DDR3 SDRAM
      • Intel HD Graphics 4000 graphics card.
      • 1 TB hard drive, 5400 rpm.
      • SDXC memory card slot.
      • Four USB 3.0 ports, FireWire 800, Thunderbolt, HDMI, Gigabit Ethernet, and audio in / out jacks.
      • Wi-Fi (IEEE 802.11n), Bluetooth 4.0.

Thank you so much for taking time at this. I really appreciate this.

Sincerely,

Benjamin

• 1. Re: Mac Mini?
          cc_merchant Level 4

See Tweakers Page - What kind of PC to use?

Both these Mac Mini are a waste of money. CPU, GPU, memory and disks are below practical requirements.

• 2. Re: Mac Mini?
            Benjamino94 Level 1

Hi and thanks for your quick reply.

So, how does this affect in the film-editing? Is it just slower or what?

Is there anything available for 1000€?`

Benjamin

• 3. Re: Mac Mini?
              JFPhoton Level 3

dont panic yet....first of all, PPro is geared to provide BEST performance on a Windows  machine with ONLYan Nvidia  DEDICATED GPU....NO " integrated" graphics.  The adobe forums are FULL of unhappy Mac users who are having constant problems because of incompatibility between their OS and PPro.

The GOOD news is that a properly equipped Windows setup can be MUCH cheaper than  an inferior Mac setup. Forget Apple,forget AMD-ATI products.

Canon DSLR footage is one of the most compressed, and most difficult video codec for a CPU to handle.   However, if you use ONLY the NEWEST version of PPro CCloud 2014, you will get the benefit of a recent MAJOR improvement that specifically improved performance for the Canon codecs.

As an example,, I edit these codecs like BUTTER on  an Asus G750JW laptop that I bought refurbished for almost half price...$850.  I DID have to upgrade it by adding memory for another$170 to bring it to 24 GB, from the original 8. AND I had to replace the WORTHLESS 5400 rpm original hard drive with a Crucial M500 SSD for $280. .Now, this machine FLIES......it edits four ideo tracks loaded with effects EASILY, at full resolution and using an external monitor !!!   Read more on this forum and look at the PPBM7  website to learn more about the approprate harware for PPro and After Effects.

• 4. Re: Mac Mini?
                ECBowen Most Valuable Participant

4GB of ram is not enough for Premiere especially with GPU acceleration and no where near enough for AE. AE has a very large memory profile. GPU acceleration in Premiere requires allot of ram. The Intel graphics will not give you GPU acceleration but you still need atleast 8GB of ram for any real HD editing or the experience will be significantly degraded. Premiere performance will already be significantly less btw without the GPU acceleration. AE will be significantly handicapped performance wise by both the dual core and 8GB of ram. You will be able to work but the experience probably wont be very good. 4GB however is absolutely way to low and you will likely run into problems.

Eric

ADK