4 Replies Latest reply on Aug 1, 2015 5:52 AM by A.T. Romano

Video and audio out of sync with Premiere 12; need solution...

asimhussain92

Every time I try to import a video file (MP4/AVI usually) I encounter a very frustrating issue. The audio seems to always be out of sync with the video. It's not a simple fix where I can adjust the two to match up; I'm thinking it has something to do with variable framerate. Any time I try to record directly from Premiere 12 using the same webcam (Logitech 920), I get the same issue. I am not sure what's going on, but the video plays fine in Windows Media Player. I need to know why this problem is happening, and more importantly, how to fix it. I have been researching this for days now because I really would like to stick with Adobe because I love their products. However, I am very upset at this simple issue and am about to give up and grab me Sony Vegas if I can't find an easy fix.

• 1. Re: Video and audio out of sync with Premiere 12; need solution...
          John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Exactly what is INSIDE the video you are editing?

Codec & Format information, with 2 links inside for you to read http://forums.adobe.com/thread/1270588

Report back with the codec details of your file, use the programs below... A screen shot works well to SHOW people what you are doing

http://forums.adobe.com/thread/592070?tstart=30 for screen shot instructions

Free programs to get file information for PC/Mac http://mediaarea.net/en/MediaInfo/Download

Does your video use a VARIABLE Frame Rate or a Constant Frame Rate?

If your video uses a variable frame rate you will need to convert

• 2. Re: Video and audio out of sync with Premiere 12; need solution...
            A.T. Romano Level 7

asimhussain92

Your details and the specifications for your Logitech HD Pro Webcam 920 point to the variable frame rate as the cause of your problem (according to the webcam specs Frame Rate up to 30 fps - that translates into a variable frame rate for me). Premiere Elements does not fare well with video recorded with variable frame rate. The result is out of sync audio or the video does not import at all.

I am assuming that the webcam is giving you H.264.mp4 1920 x 1080 p(variable frame rate). Convert the variable frame rate to a constant one using the free HandBrake program. It is quick and easy, and, as a first pass, you do not have to get fancy with the settings. Just set the essentials, and then import the frame rate converted file into Premiere Elements with the correct project preset, followed by determining if the problem(s) are gone.

https://handbrake.fr/

HandBrake.JPG

1, Click on Source/Open File to import your source.

a. I changed Chapters to Seconds in the row below the Source Tab

b. For Destination, browse to designate the save location for the H.264.mp4 file that is going to be generated.

c. Set the Container = Mp4.

2. Leave the details under the Picture Tab as is.

3. Go to the Video Tab. And set as in the screenshot.

Do not set Framerate (FPS) = Same As Source....if your frame is given as 29 with a min of 27 and max of 30,

then set for 29.97. Do not forget to dot the Constant Framerate choice.

3. Hit the Start button at the top left of the workspace and wait for "Queue Finished" in the progress bar

that is at the bottom left of the workspace.

Please let us know the outcome. If necessary, we can go over your Premiere Elements project preset and the

rest of your project setup details.

Thanks.

ATR

• 3. Re: Video and audio out of sync with Premiere 12; need solution...
              Smelf

I am having the same problem, I have tried the hand brake idea, done exactly as you have suggested but when I press start, I says "You must first scan a source and set up your job before starting an encode. Do you have any idea what that might mean I have to do?

• 4. Re: Video and audio out of sync with Premiere 12; need solution...
                A.T. Romano Level 7

Smef

The only way I get that message is if I skip step 1 of the steps given.

1, Click on Source/Open File to import your source

Handbrake-problem.JPG

Please consider and let us know the outcome. If any questions about the above, please do not hesitate to ask.

Thank you.

AT