10 Replies Latest reply on Oct 5, 2014 11:57 PM by Ismael Justicia

Hide signature field

Ismael Justicia

hello,

I am working for an application that signs a document and sends it through a secure channel to a remote user.

The users are complaining that they cannot see the text or images because they are hidden by the signature. I would like to know if there is a way to hide the signature, so that the user can print or read the document without hinderance.

So far I have only discovered a way to remove the signature (not a valid option for our application). Repositioning of the signature using the programming interface is also not viable, because we have no way to know what we have in the original document. Repositioning of the signature at signature time is also not possible, because we often get at origin a document already signed.

I hope I made my question clear. Thanks much

• 1. Re: Hide signature field
          Steven.Madwin Adobe Employee

Hi Ismael,

Let's start with what program and version of the program you are using and on what platform (Mac or Windows).

Thanks,

Steve

• 2. Re: Hide signature field
            Ismael Justicia Level 1

Hi Steve,

thanks for your reply.

The vast majority of our clients are running Windows, although the application also supports Linux Ubuntu 10.04 (32 bits).

Adobe Reader X or above is required.

• 3. Re: Hide signature field
              Test Screen Name Most Valuable Participant

(Just as an aside, there is no Reader X for Linux, Reader 9 was the final version).

• 4. Re: Hide signature field
                Ismael Justicia Level 1

Ugh. That shows how vast our majority is  . Thanks for the tip.

If we can find a solution for Reader X it would be good enough to solve our troubles.

• 5. Re: Hide signature field

Hi Ismael,

Are your clients getting to inscribe a signature field anywhere on the document that they desire, or, when the document is authored are the signature fields put in place prior to the file being sent out?

Thanks,

Steve

• 6. Re: Hide signature field
                    Ismael Justicia Level 1

Hi Steve,

thanks again for your attention.

We get both scenarios. Our application inscribes a signature field once the user sends it. But the original document may (1) or may not (2) have inscribed an additional signature field beforehand.

Problem is,

(1) In this scenario, we cannot move the existing signature field, because it is the user who inscribed it

(2) In this scenario, we don't know where to put the signature so that it doesn't cover any existing text or images

Nevertheless, is there any option for the destination user to hide the signature field just for printing purposes?

Thanks again for your support,

Ismael

• 7. Re: Hide signature field

Hi Ismael,

You as the document author can create a field that can be signed, but will not print, but if you are allowing the end-user to inscribe a signature field on-the-fly then the field will print. It is incumbent upon you as the document author to design the file the way you want it to look, and if you abdicate that responsibility then you risk getting what ever the document recipient does.

It is possible to add a digital signature field that does not print. You control this from the Digital Signature Properties dialog shown below.

Sig Prop.jpg

Steve

• 8. Re: Hide signature field
                        Ismael Justicia Level 1

Dear Steve,

is there a way to edit these properties (Visible, Hidden, Visible but doesn't print...) once the signature is in place?

Also: how do I raise the Digital Signature Properties window on Reader XI (11.0.08)?

Thanks again!

• 9. Re: Hide signature field

Hi Ismael,

Second thing first, you cannot edit PDF files using the free Adobe Reader. In order to edit you need to either buy Acrobat or a subscription to Acrobat.com. Reader is primarily for viewing a PDF file.

Once a document has been signed it can no longer be edited (such as changing the signature properties) because that would break the signature. One of the advantages of a digital signature is it provides assurance of document integrity and editing the file would invalidate the signature.

Steve

• 10. Re: Hide signature field
                            Ismael Justicia Level 1

Thank you very much for your time and consideration, Steve. I shall consider the questions answered.

Best regards,

Ismael