1 2 3 Previous Next 198 Replies Latest reply on Feb 1, 2018 6:58 AM by RjL190365

GTX 970 and Premiere Pro

DV2FOX Level 1

Sure,it says Unsupported,but i have a doubt because i'm scared as *BEEEP!* now that i've seen this topic i've been looking for

I own a GTX 660 Ti OC 2GB and it works perfectly with my Premiere Pro CC 2014. However,i was about to buy a GIGABYTE Nvidia GTX 970 until i tought: "Will it work with my Premiere Pro CC 2014?..Better ask".. Been asking and nobody replied to me.

Because i don't want to buy a card that'll NOT WORK AT ALL with my CC 2014!

In other works: If i buy a GTX 970, will it work with Adobe Premiere Pro CC 2014 COMPLETELY/FULL POWER, supported or not??

Please reply ASAP!!!

Thanks in advance

DV

• 1. Re: GTX 970 and Premiere Pro
          Kevin-Monahan Adobe Employee

Hi DV2Fox,

Click through any warning dialog box, then check to see if File > Project Settings > Mercury Playback Engine GPU Acceleration (CUDA) can be enabled (or is enabled). If your GPU is over 1 GB VRAM, it is not officially certified, but should work fine. See the fifth paragraph of this blog: Adobe Premiere Pro CC and GPU support | Premiere Pro work area

Thanks,

Kevin

• 2. Re: GTX 970 and Premiere Pro
            cc_merchant Level 4

See Tweakers Page - Balanced Systems .

Is the rest of your system up-to-snuff for a faster card?

• 3. Re: GTX 970 and Premiere Pro
              DV2FOX Level 1

That's something i'm a bit grateful about, but... You're telling me that with the 970GTX will work on PPCC2014 without any problems?..Because the architecture is "Different" than the 660GTX and might have compatibility problems or something.

That's why i mentioned the 970 GTX.....

• 4. Re: GTX 970 and Premiere Pro
                DV2FOX Level 1

@CC_M: Intel i5-2500K @ 3,3Ghz (Stock,NO OC, fear of burning the PC), 660GTX Ti OC 2GB, 8GB DDR3 1333mhz RAM, Windows 7 64bits Home Premium, and most importantly, Antec AX860W PSU +80 Platinum Certificate.

I might not OC the CPU at all ,again,due to the fear of burning the PC, and i'm waiting for Intel's Skylake to release to upgrade the entire tower's insides

Hope that helps

• 5. Re: GTX 970 and Premiere Pro
                  cc_merchant Level 4

Keep what you have, the 660Ti OC. No sense spending money on the new 970.. It will not bring any noticeable benefit.

• 6. Re: GTX 970 and Premiere Pro
                    R Neil Haugen Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Video processing, especially for playback while editing/grading/effects work is being done, is a complicated balancing act between computer subsystems. It isn't just  any one thing ...

MOBO needs to have good architecture and LOTS of high-speed connections between everything and especially, disc connectors.

CPU needs cores but within a good architecture suited for this task, plenty of cooling and cache ...

RAM well, more is always better but again, if you've got bottlenecks elsewhere putting in 128 gigs of RAM isn't going to help much ...

Video card ... newer is mostly better, nVidia-chipped (unfortunately) much better within Adobe software. Cores and vRAM are both needed. Note again, some real REAL spendy v-cards don't give much if any bump to many systems ... in fact, often with a mid-level system a mid/upper card may be more help to the system as-is than a spendy sucker.

DRIVES!!!!!!!!!!!!!  This is something that is most often skipped by "noobs" around here, even ones coming from other video editing/grading apps. The Adobe "design" utilizes ALL resources of the computer, including ... or especially ... disc space. The most common questions are "will this chip or vCard or ram spice up my system?" when from their specs, the one thing that would almost always make the biggest difference is DISC ARRANGEMENT.

None of your other hardware will even break a sweat if you've got all your OS/programs AND all preview, cache, and project files on one internal drive and all your footage on one nearly full external USB3 or earlier connection drive. You're gonna have so many wait-states wasted in waiting for reads & writes to get through to disc & back your chip & v-card will be snoring most of the time.

Multiple discs with eSATA II connections or better; SSD drives for system/programs ... and anything else you can put on them. RAID arrays of 4-5 discs of say 2TB each is GOOD. RAID SSD is certainly wondrous. On the Tweaker's Page (through the hardware forum) they list various ways for laying out disc utilization and your various bits and pieces of projects. Good if at times dense reading.

• 7. Re: GTX 970 and Premiere Pro
                      DV2FOX Level 1

@Neil: I forgot to mention that i have a SAMSUNG 840 EVO 250GB for the OS/Programs/Some games and a WD 1TB HDD 7200RPM for Recordings with FRAPS. And an external WD 4TB HDD USB 3.0. The tower's a big beast...Also,is it me,or is your post an answer to an older post of mine or perhaps a copy/paste for these kind of occassions whenever it's all about upgrading or Computer Mechanics?...

@CC_M : If the new card is not gonna benefit Premiere Pro CC 2014, then atleast it WILL for the newest GAMES!..That,ofcourse,is the main priority..

• 8. Re: GTX 970 and Premiere Pro

Your system is ok except out to that USB3 external ... as you'll note on the tweaker's page that connection simply doesn't have the sustained throughput for in/out work. Now, for just say rendered out exports, it's ok. For footage where the computer is going to be both reading and writing to that disc, not fast enough.

Yes ... I'd started to answer from another forae, and it was shuffled over here. Intriguing how these things work, isn't it? Ahem.

And my "builder" is also a major gamer ... LOVES the hot AMD cards, especially for the money compared to nVidia ones. And is REALLY ANNOYED at Adobe for not taking full advantage of the architecture of that line of chips/cards. For him, yes, gaming is the ultimate computer use and function ... 

Neil

• 9. Re: GTX 970 and Premiere Pro
                          cc_merchant Level 4

If the new card is not gonna benefit Premiere Pro CC 2014, then atleast it WILL for the newest GAMES!..That,ofcourse,is the main priority..

That is a major mistake. Keep games OFF your editing rig. Use one machine for editing ONLY. Use another for games and whatever else you do.

• 10. Re: GTX 970 and Premiere Pro
                            DV2FOX Level 1

The bad thing is,i CAN'T have 2 PC TOWERS AT ONCE in this room and my parents would go crazy if they see me have another tower,JUST-FOR-EDITING =_=;;;

I'm not a "Professional" like some of you guys in here,the only thing i do with PPCC2014 is put a recorded video from a game or TV show and just render it to 720p@29,97FPS,that's it,no effects...

That's why i can only have one thing at a time..Hope that makes things clear

I.E I can export a 1h30min vid of THE WALKING DEAD's game (TellTale Games) in about 45mins, that's kinda enough for me to wait while doing other things. I don't know how much a Quadro card would do though.

• 11. Re: GTX 970 and Premiere Pro
                              Martin Douglas Level 2

cc_merchant wrote:

If the new card is not gonna benefit Premiere Pro CC 2014, then atleast it WILL for the newest GAMES!..That,ofcourse,is the main priority..

That is a major mistake. Keep games OFF your editing rig. Use one machine for editing ONLY. Use another for games and whatever else you do.

Why?

• 12. Re: GTX 970 and Premiere Pro
                                cc_merchant Level 4

Imagine 2 identical cars. One with only the driver, nothing else. The second car with the same driver, three passengers and the trunk filled to the rim with luggage.

It is not rocket science to realize that the first car will be significantly faster and easier to handle on curvy roads than the second one.

Same with two computers. One with only editing software is lean and mean, the other loaded with all kinds of stuff, among them games, that is slower.

• 13. Re: GTX 970 and Premiere Pro
                                  ntreuter Level 1

That's pretty idealistic for those of us who are hobbyists. My computer is used for editing, gaming, word processing, lightroom, etc.

• 14. Re: GTX 970 and Premiere Pro
                                    DV2FOX Level 1

@ntreuter: That's the thing i'm trying to say!! I own a "All-In-One" PC but i can't just buy a 2nd PC "Just for Premiere"...That's "Another monitor,another Rig,components,etc"...And that's like 1000$ and we in europe/spain are in an Economical Crysis and we can't afford too much for,in this case,"a single thing".

"But ya wanna buy a GTX 970,that's 358€..." ...But atleast i don't have to change the entire PC for it.

Gaming,Photoshop (wich works as it should),Premiere,among many many other things ...Again,All-In-One...I don't own a Mac because that's "LIMITED" and I KNOW it's dedicated for "Work" (but NO games)

Again,i'm asking for compatibility to people who are owners of such GTX 970 card but NOBODY,NOT EVEN GOOGLE and Other Forums gave me a clear reply..That's why i asked here,to have a chance for a possible answer BEFORE buying the card...But no luck so far.

• 15. Re: GTX 970 and Premiere Pro

Ideal and Possible are not always congruent. I DO use mine professionally, but around this business we've got about 15 even higher prioritized equipment needs past my editing rig ... so yes, I use it professionally and I must ALSO use it for stills, for business management of two business, yada yada. This machine was the most we could allot for my use in last June. Parts of our business are showing good growth, and we expect to start going through those equipment needs this fall. By year's end, I may well be able to justify a new mobo set, looking at the Haswell E I think it is. Those mobo's, with something like 10 SATA III ports on the board, could take all the discs I currently have and RAID a few of them, and with an even faster chip/mobo, would be slicker than the proverbial nasal mucus.

But that might not be until next spring.

So as one looks at one's editing rig, BALANCE is always the key. Throwing money on one part of the processing chain without addressing other choke-points can be spendy and frustrating. I don't know about that 970 card ... but I can tell you the 770 with 4  Gig's vRAM does work fine. That one is listed as blowing out many spendier cards currently. And is rather reasonably priced.

Neil

• 16. Re: GTX 970 and Premiere Pro
                                        Peru Bob Adobe Community Professional & MVP

I'm a hobbyist too, but remember that we are using professional software. In order to obtain good results with smooth editing, we have to expect to do things the proper way.

• 17. Re: GTX 970 and Premiere Pro
                                          DV2FOX Level 1

Got the new GPU. It works flawless. HOWEVER,CUDA has been removed from the latest drivers and now exporting takes twice or x 3 times more time than normal...Like a simple CRYSIS 3 recording of 6 minutes takes what?,12-18?

Adobe and Nvidia better make something to fix this huge issue.. however,i've heard people saying that CUDA can be enabled again with some modded drivers...But i'm waiting for someone to put SUCH DRIVERS online to get and try them...Else...*Sigh* Bad move,Adobe/Nvidia

• 18. Re: GTX 970 and Premiere Pro
                                            ECBowen Most Valuable Participant

We need to check your configuration because I am not seeing that in testing the 980GTX so far. The performance is showing the same as the 780Ti so far that I am seeing.

Eric

ADK

• 19. Re: GTX 970 and Premiere Pro
                                              DV2FOX Level 1

ASUS P8Z68-V PRO GEN3

Intel i5-2500K @ 3,3Ghz Stock (NO OC)

8GB DDR3 1333mhz RAM

Nvidia GIGABYTE GTX 970 4GB DDR5 G1 GAMING

SSD 250GB SAMSUNG 840 EVO

HDD 1TB WD Blue 7200RPM

Windows 7 64bits Home Premium

Anything else?

• 20. Re: GTX 970 and Premiere Pro
                                                Bill Gehrke Adobe Community Professional & MVP

For that system you probably would not see much performance improvement.  Spend money on memory,  See also Harm's Tweakers Page on "What Video Card to Use"  While it has not been updated to the new GTX 9xx series, that is just because we have not seen any GTX 970 or GTX 980 results yet to really know how they perform.

• 21. Re: GTX 970 and Premiere Pro

Did you edit the Cuda Text File in AME when you updated the card? Are you using the 344.16 Nvidia drivers?

Eric

ADK

• 22. Re: GTX 970 and Premiere Pro
                                                    DV2FOX Level 1

@bill:  Can't upgrade much until Intel's Skylake where i'll do the "big jump" (This MB/CPU is around +3-4 years old,yes). And ya saying there won't be much performance improvement with the GTX 970? Oo..

@ECB:  What's "AME" ?..Adobe Media Encoder?...Note that i am on Windows 7 64bits Home Premium and i own AME and Premiere Pro in their CC 2014 versions! (Both saying "Updated" with a green "V" 'd circle on Creative Cloud's App). Where's that file and what should i do there?..

And yes,i Have/NEED the 344.16 drivers to get my GTX 970 DETECTED (Back then even with 344.11 wich was SUPPOSED to have such GPU's listed,weren't and had to go online to get the "just new!" drivers for it).

Thanks in advance

PS: I always have a "THE WALKING DEAD S2E5 (TellTale Games)" video wich's lenght is around 1h30-55min to test out the export speed to see if it goes faster or slower depending of the drivers n all that stuff...If that helps too

EDIT: Found the file by searching Cuda in Adobe (64bits') folder and found both cuda support in the them, wrote down a copy/paste a line of the other GeForce texts and just changing the numbers.

This is a screenshot of how Adobe Media Encoder CC 2014 looks like (to show off the "TIme left",a feature i wanna see in a future premiere update even when you're doing "2 VBR passes" or somehthing)

http://prntscr.com/4rrnh2

Vid in the end is 1h27min and while encoding in AME CC 2014 Time Left shows right now ,after some crazy spinnings,1h10min left...Kinda like the vid itself,unless it should perform faster somehow

The video Preview at the bottom left shows that the texts and stuff that happens in the game are like...2-3 times faster than the game itself,a nice "Fast Forward"..

It's funny how little GPU usage (at the top right gadget) does and how much CPU and RAM (Nearly 6GB of 8) does..Though it goes crazy with GPU going from 5-20% of the yellow bar and barely surpassing the 350MB on memory of 4GB

• 23. Re: GTX 970 and Premiere Pro

The Cuda Text file is in the Program files under Premiere Pro CC 2014 and Adobe Media Encoder. You want to edit the Cuda Text files in both.

Eric

ADK

• 24. Re: GTX 970 and Premiere Pro
                                                        DV2FOX Level 1

Did so,and left the results above your comment if you wanna analyze it to see if there's something else i should do to see if any export time reduced or something.

Thanks in advance ^^

• 25. Re: GTX 970 and Premiere Pro
                                                          JFPhoton Level 3

thanks Eric !!...good news.so far !!!... Hopefully, the 980 will show EVEN BETTER and a the NEXT question would be : is it BETTER to use TWO 970s,OR, better to use ONE 980 that has a LARGER amount of video memory....somewhere I read that there will be 8 GB versions of these cards. Looking forward to your test results !!!

• 26. Re: GTX 970 and Premiere Pro

Yes every time I try and get back to them get more calls. End of the Fiscal year for US GOV so things are crazy here right now. Hopefully I can get back to it by tomorrow.

Eric

ADK

• 27. Re: GTX 970 and Premiere Pro

ECBowen wrote:

The Cuda Text file is in the Program files under Premiere Pro CC 2014 and Adobe Media Encoder. You want to edit the Cuda Text files in both.

Is this for CC only or does it apply to perpetual versions also?

• 28. Re: GTX 970 and Premiere Pro

Both although I haven't checked to see if CS6 will even use the new 344 driver yet. It very well may not.

Eric

ADK

• 29. Re: GTX 970 and Premiere Pro

Thanks.

• 30. Re: GTX 970 and Premiere Pro
                                                                    ntreuter Level 1

Should the 970 work w/ CS5.5 perpetual also? I'm still on that version. I assume i need to do that CUDA hack or wahtever it is.

• 31. Re: GTX 970 and Premiere Pro

That depends if the 344 driver will work with 5.5. You will have to check that by  testing unfortunately. Yes you would have to edit the Cuda text file.

Eric

ADK

• 32. Re: GTX 970 and Premiere Pro
                                                                        DV2FOX Level 1

Now the only thing Nvidia/Adobe must do is use the GPU's (900 series')  entire power and it'll be a BLAST XP

• 33. Re: GTX 970 and Premiere Pro
                                                                          sinious Most Valuable Participant

What is very important to keep track of is the CUDA SDK support of any particular application. Nividia abandoned their old SDK for the newer CUDA cores which require NVENC SDK for encoding and other SDKs that make use of the new CUDA, which most companies have not adopted yet. Thus older cards CUDA versions are supported and newer cards seem like they don't work. This is exactly the reason why. They have no idea what a Maxwell CUDA is on the 970/980.

The GTX 980 and 970 use Maxwell CUDA. This is not supported by Premiere Pro CC 2014, After Effects CC 2014 or Adobe Media Encoder CC 2014.

However, until they update both the applications to utilize Kepler/Maxwell CUDA cores (interface and codec choices), there is one encoding plugin you can try with AME and Premiere Pro. Please note, this is ONLY for encoding to MPEG2 or MPEG4 (with the listed necessary 3rd party programs integrated). This will not actually help you render the timeline any faster with Maxwell.

NVidia GPU-accelerated H264-encoder plugin, ready for public testing

I installed this in AME and Premiere Pro. It works amazing.

What used to take AME 10 minutes at 100% CPU to export a single 1920x1080p@24 3:20 video from Quicktime Animation Lossless/Uncompress Audio, was reduced to being able to export two videos concurrently (to MP4 H.264 and MPEG2 Blu-ray), in 55 seconds.

Once Adobe installs support for modern Kepler and Maxwell CUDA in both the applications and their codecs we will all see a very gigantic leap in overall performance and reduced export/encode time.

As of now, there is no support in AME or PPro for Maxwell (possibly Kepler support for the interface) but no format target such as MainConcept H.264. That format is not updated to support Kepler or Maxwell, only Fermi/Tesla/ION and they are not adding support for it. They told me this directly and they will tell you if you ask. So it's time someone made a quality encoder (like the person I linked) that could show you all what the latest CUDA cores can actually do.

I run a 980 GTX myself (2048 Maxwell CUDA cores) and I encode all video at rather frightening speeds with low end systems (i5-2500k/16GB rigs).

• 34. Re: GTX 970 and Premiere Pro

Fascinating, sinuous ... thanks.

• 35. Re: GTX 970 and Premiere Pro
                                                                              DV2FOX Level 1

@sinious: So i've grabbed the laaaatest version from that LONG topic's last post and did as the 1st post said... Go to Premiere/AME plugins-common folders and place that same file in both Premiere/AME folders.

Ofcourse downloaded the mp4box thing and installed it's 64bits version. Then went to premiere, chosen the CUDA Acceleration via hardware thingy as always,placed my BATTLEFIELD 4 23min55sec vid in it,went to File->Export , chosen the Youtube 720p 29,7fps option and sent it to Queue/AME..Went to AME,hit the GO button and it records....kinda normal?,like,the vid's 23min55sec long but it takes 20 minutes still?..

....Am i doing something wrong?

• 36. Re: GTX 970 and Premiere Pro
                                                                                ntreuter Level 1

I'm a little confused. I'm on CS5.5 and just picked up the 970 today to replace a 570.

When I first installed and launched PP, it expectedly told me that I had an unsupported GPU and switched to software rendering. I then exited out, did the CUA hack on the CUDA_SUPPORTED_CARDS.TXT file, and when I relaunched, I could select MPE just fine.

I didn't notice any real performance change though yet, although I only spent a few very short minutes working with it. I plan on starting wedding video editing tomorrow where I can better gauge any (subjective) changes.

Current sytem:

• Fractal R4 Case
                                                                                • I7 3770k OC to 4.4GHZ
                                                                                • Asrock z77 Extreme4 Mobo
                                                                                • CM Hyper 212 air cooler
                                                                                • Shimian 1440p IPS 27" and BenQ 24" 1080P dual monitor setup, calibrated w/ Datacoler Spyder
                                                                                • Zotac GTX970
                                                                                • 32GB RAM (4x8 GB Crucial Ballistix)
                                                                                • Corsair HX750 Gold
                                                                                • Samsung 830 240GB SSD (OS & Apps)
                                                                                • Kingston 128GB SSD (Scratch disk)
                                                                                • RAID-1 WD Black 2TB (Media drives / working. Once everything is done it goes to my NAS for long term storage)
                                                                                • 37. Re: GTX 970 and Premiere Pro
                                                                                  sinious Most Valuable Participant

ntreuter ~ Please read what I said above about the new card. The CUDA SDK required is not supported like your old card was. Not yet at least.

DV2FOX ~ Once you put the plugin in the Plugins/Common folder and restart AME (if it was running), you have a whole brand new export option! NVENC_export! Here is a screenshot of the settings when you click to customize them:

enc3nvencmaxwell.PNG

Note a couple things. First, all those juicy modern CUDA details. It recognizes the GTX 980, 4GB RAM, Compute Level 5.2 and the CUDA driver (6050 NVENC supported).

Second, just above the [OK] button I have "Use Maximum Render Quality" selected. I read that this was important, however I don't know why.

Lastly and probably most importantly, the Multiplexer tab is used to choose your output format because by default it will not mux (mix audio with video). Choose MP4 or MPEG2 (TS). This is where you will see a browse button asking where you installed MP4Box. Point it directly to the installed executables location Mp4Box.exe. Or if you choose MPEG2 then choose the location of TsMux and point to the (non GUI) executable. Then head over to the Audio tab (if you want AAC audio and you downloaded the NeroAACEncoder) and select AAC, again hitting the browse button to choose the location of NeroAacEnc.exe. Adjust your audio quality to taste.

Jump back to the video tab and for the most part don't worry too much about these settings. Just scroll all the way down to find basic resolution/fps/bitrate controls and adjust them to taste.

Hit [OK], choose where to save your file and hit the Play (go) button in AME.

Now change your underwear.

• 38. Re: GTX 970 and Premiere Pro
                                                                                    Bill Gehrke Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Erik,

Just for the record, 344,16 works fine with the PPBM6 benchmark, and gives almost identical benchmarks to my GTX 770 SC

• 39. Re: GTX 970 and Premiere Pro
                                                                                      DV2FOX Level 1

For the record here:

nearly 8-9 minutes to encode my BATTLEFIELD 4 vid at 720p 29,97FPS wich lasts 23min5#sec

....Yes,i changed my undies after knowing i needed also the AAC NERO thing...Finally,BACK INTO ACTION!!! until official Adobe fix

Ofcourse,THANK YOU

1 2 3 Previous Next