20 Replies Latest reply on Sep 26, 2014 5:14 PM by A.T. Romano

Rendering out of phase (pixelated). How can I fix it?

Randall Mullin

Equipment: Canon Vixia HF20 (set to MXP) and Kodak Zi8 (set to 1080) Alienware M-18x  - i7-2860QM @250GHz – 16 GB ram – Windows 7 Professional Service pack 1 (with all recent updates installed.) NVIDIA GeForce GTX 560M (with latest drivers and updates installed.)
      Premiere Elements 12 (Expert mode)

Canon is used for the main picture. Kodak is used for smaller “picture in picture” on top of main picture.

Preset in Premiere Elements 12:  NTSC-AVCHD Full HD 1080i-30

I have used this same camera/Premiere Elements setup with success in Premiere Elements 8 and 10.

When the first video (Canon) is brought into Video 1 track it looks great and no orange render line appears. When the second video (Kodak) is placed in the Video 2 track, resized, and placed in the lower right hand corner of the monitor panel (on top of Video 1) and I click outside of the bounding box it looks fine (as does the Video 1). The orange line then appears above both videos as normal.

The problem is when I render the videos they both become “out of phase,” pixelated, as if I had dragged their bounding boxes slightly one way or the other.

How do I get the videos to render properly so that I can upload the project to YouTube? (This was never a problem with Premiere Elements 8 or 10)

Many thanks,

Randall

• 1. Re: Rendering out of phase (pixelated). How can I fix it?
          A.T. Romano Level 7

Randall

Based on what you wrote, the videos involved are

Kodak....H.264.mov 1920 x 1080 @ presumed 30 progressive frames per second

Canon...AVCHD.not sure of file extension 1920 x 1080 @ presumed 29.97 interlaced frames per second.

Please confirm, especially whether interlaced or progressive frame rate.

For now, leave your project preset as is...import the videos

Canon video on Video Track 1

Kodak video on Video Track 2

Go to fx Effects/Presets/PiPs, and find the PiP 25% LR effect and drag it into the Kodak video file on Video Track 2.

Do you still have the problem?

Do you have the latest version of QuickTime installed on your computer with Premiere Elements 12/12.1?

Please review and consider the above and then we can decide what next.

Thank you.

ATR

• 2. Re: Rendering out of phase (pixelated). How can I fix it?
            Randall Mullin Level 1

The camera manual does not offer any clear information regarding interlaced or progressive.

Here is what information I have been able to obtain from other sources on the web:

<<As far as I can tell, I am recording in 1920 x 1080p (not interlaced). I have sent a question to Canon tech support, but they tout that the Canon Vixia HF20 records in full 1080p. I have the ability to set it to a 24p or 30p frame rate, and apparently, that records in 60i.>>

another sources adds:

<<My recording options are:

- 60i
            - "PF30" which is described as "30 frames per second, progressive" but then it goes on to say "Using this frame rate, video is recorded as 60i"
            - "PF24" which is described as "24 frames per second, progressive. Using this frame rate will give your recordings a cinematic look." but then it goes on to say "Using this frame rate, video is recorded as 60i">>

My camera is set to the default "60i"

I installed the latest version of Quicktime

I added the tracks to the timeline as suggested above and used your method for adding PiP 25% LR.  When I rendered a section of the video, it was pixelated as mentioned above (no change.)

As I mentioned before, this was not a problem with either Premiere Elements 10 (Using this computer) or 8 (using another computer). The only reason I upgraded to Premiere Elements 12 was that Premiere Elements 10 would not work when I updated the video drivers and software.

Many thanks for your help.

Randall

• 3. Re: Rendering out of phase (pixelated). How can I fix it?
              A.T. Romano Level 7

Randall Mullin

Have we discussed before with you the Premiere Elements 10/NVIDIA GeForce issue? The latest driver version for NVIDIA GeForce is not going to get you a working Premiere Elements 10. You need to roll back the NVIDIA GeForce video card/graphics card back to about May 2013. Did you ever do that or did you decide to go to another version of Premiere Elements rather than roll back your NVIDIA GeForce GTX560M. But, I point out to you that the Premiere Elements 10/NVIDIA GeForce issue is specific to Premiere Elements 10. Based on history, it would not have been possible for you to use Premiere Elements 10 and your NVIDIA GeForce GTX560M unless the driver version was rolled back to May 2013. You give the impression that your NVIDIA GeForce has always been "up to date" presumed through 2014. I have serious questions about the before in this.

As for the after with Premiere Elements 12....this is another matter. What the camera sensor captures is one thing, what it records is another. If you say that you have your Canon camera set for 60i, then your recording is 60 fields per second which translates into a Premiere Elements project preset of NTSC AVCHD Full HD1080i30 (1920 x 1080 @ 29.97 interlaced frames per second), and your project preset should be that. I am more confident about the Kodak which appears to be 1080p30 as H.264.mov 1920 x 1080 @ 30 progressive frames per second. You can download and install the free Media Info and look at the detailed properties of the Canon and Kodak videos. But, use the Tree View of that program.

MediaInfo | SourceForge.net

You could also look at setting the project preset manually to

NTSC

DSLR

1080p

DSLR 1080p30 @ 29.97

and then bringing in the Canon and Kodak videos.

Another approach to verifying what you are importing is to right click the thumbnail of the video in Project Assets, select Interpret Footage, and see what is shown for Frame Rate and Pixel Aspect Ratio.

If you can send a small sample of the Canon and Kodak videos in a Dropbox link posted in your thread, I will offer to look at the issue in Premiere Elements 8.0/8.0.1, 10, and 12/12.1 on Windows 7 64 bit.

Thoughts for next time....We could also go through the drill of deleting the Adobe Premiere Elements Prefs file. What do you have set for your Windows theme...the Windows Basic / High Contrast Themes or an Aero theme? Are you getting any display card error messages.

Thanks.

ATR

Add On...If the existence of the Premiere Elements 10/NVIDIA GeForce issue is new news for you, please read the Announcement at the top of

this forum with full details as well as how to fix (which is the driver version roll back).

• 4. Re: Rendering out of phase (pixelated). How can I fix it?
                Randall Mullin Level 1

Thanks again, Mr. Romano for your prompt response.

When I used Premiere Elements 10, I was using the original graphic card drivers/software that came with the computer. Recently, I had to do a clean install of my operating system because of problems and in the process the Dell (Alienware) tech updated the drivers for the audio and video cards. When I began my current video project I realized that those video card updates would not work with Premiere Elements 10. I abandoned the program and bought Premiere Elements 12.

I should have been more clear regarding how the video looks in Premiere Elements 12. When both Canon and Kodak videos are on the time line and the orange/gold render line appears, I can play the video back and it looks fine. There is no jerkiness. It looks as if it has already been rendered. I was even able to synchronize the frames of the two videos and play it back with the audio track without any problems. The pixilation only occurs when the videos are rendered.

Here are the links to the test files.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/32006023/premiere%20elements%20test%20pedals%20001.MOV

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/32006023/Premiere%20elements%20test%20pictures%20manua ls%20001.MTS

Right clicking the thumbnails for my project files in Project Assets produced the same settings for both:

Use frame rates from file 29.9700

Use pixel aspect ratio from file.

I am using the desktop picture that came with the computer. There is no animation involved and I have set no theme.

I did not know how to select a preset "manually," so I choose the only option that matched what was listed in your email DSLR 1080p @ 29.97 in the Change Settings on the New Project dialog.

The graphics card has not been giving any problems. Both videos (above) look great in Windows Media Player.

In case it would be helpful, I have included my last project for YouTube, created in Premiere Elements 10 with the equipment and settings listed previously. This is using the YouTube preset: High Definition Video for YouTube 1920x1080.

Paul Ayres' Fantasia on "Mission Impossible" - YouTube

Again, many thanks for your help.

Randall

• 5. Re: Rendering out of phase (pixelated). How can I fix it?
                  A.T. Romano Level 7

Randall

I have just downloaded the .mts file without any problem. But, I am having a problem with the .mov file. It is opening showing a scene but there is no opportunity to download it to my computer. There is a continuous "connecting" going on with message of data transfer.

Would it help if you resent the .mov file or is it an extremely large file in comparison to the .mts?

ATR

ADD ON....Please hold on this request. The .mov file may be downloading.

• 6. Re: Rendering out of phase (pixelated). How can I fix it?
                    A.T. Romano Level 7

Randall Mullin

These are my results with your .mts and .mov files.

I did not see the same after render pixelation (out of focus) problems that you described using .mts with the .mov as the picture in picture effect within the .mts.

I did regular and full screen viewing of the Timeline content playback in the Edit area monitor. I have been assuming that you were referring to Timeline content render and not render in the export sense of the word. I did see what I would call interlaced looking problems without Timeline render when the orange render indicator line was present over Timeline content during the playback in the Edit area monitor.

These are two approaches that worked for me to produce high quality H.264.mp4 exports of the Timeline content.

1. Project Preset = NTSC AVCHD Full HD1080i30

Video Track 1 = .mts file

Video Track 2 = .mov file

Resized .mov file for the picture in picture effect, followed by render of the Timeline content.

Export to H.264.mp4 1920 x 1080 @ 29.97 progressive frames per second

Publish+Share

Computer

AVCHD

with Presets = MP4 H.264 1920 x 1080p30

2. Project Preset = NTSC AVCHD Full HD1080i30

Video Track 1 = .mts file

Publish+Share

Computer

AVCHD

then

Start a new project

Project Preset = NTSC DSLR 1080p DSLR 1080p30 @ 29.97

Video Track 1 = the H.264.mp4 file produced from the .mts file

Video Track 2 = .mov file

Resized .mov file for the picture in picture effect, followed by render of the Timeline content.

Publish+Share

Computer

AVCHD

Please review the above and then we can compare results.

Thank you.

ATR

Add On...the how to set the project preset manually can be found toward the end of the following blog post

ATR Premiere Elements Troubleshooting: PE11: Accuracy of Automatic Project Preset (New Project Dialog) Setting

• 7. Re: Rendering out of phase (pixelated). How can I fix it?
                      Randall Mullin Level 1

Hello Mr. Romano,

I have limited time today so I thought that I would resend the mov file, as you requested,  as well as two screenshots of the screen without rendering and with the rendered section (gif files). This time the mov file seems clear in the rendered section, but the mts. is not. Previously both were pixelated.

The mov file is the same size as the mts file. https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/32006023/premiere%20elements%20test%20pedals%20001.MOV

The project before render https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/32006023/project%20before%20render.gif

The project after render https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/32006023/projected%20with%20rendered%20section.gif

I will study your instructions and report back with my findings. I presume with these presets that you suggest you can still send a YouTube preset to YouTube.

Many thanks,

Randall Mullin

• 8. Re: Rendering out of phase (pixelated). How can I fix it?
                        A.T. Romano Level 7

Randall

Thanks for the follow up. Looking forward to your results when you get a chance.

The AVCHD.mp4 exports that I described in my study should give you good quality video to upload to YouTube at the YouTube

web site. At this point, I am not sure what YouTube will do to your Timeline content in its conversion of it in the YouTube feature within Premiere

Elements. We can look into that next once we know that we can create a good file to upload to YouTube at the YouTube web site.

I will look at your latest video sendings and comment on them by tomorrow.

Thanks for the follow ups.

ATR

• 9. Re: Rendering out of phase (pixelated). How can I fix it?
                          A.T. Romano Level 7

Randall Mullin

It is almost 12:30 am here. I just got finished downloading your sendings shown in post numbered 7 of your thread.

I will check them out in the morning. More comments then.

Thanks for the follow ups.

ATR

• 10. Re: Rendering out of phase (pixelated). How can I fix it?
                            Randall Mullin Level 1

Mr.  Romano,

I tried to follow your directions for creating Project Preset No. 1, but when I tried to export it, the menu item was grayed out. Perhaps there is another Export that I missed on the screen. Here is another screen shot showing my progress.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/32006023/export%20grayed%20out.gif

Many thanks for your help.

Randall

• 11. Re: Rendering out of phase (pixelated). How can I fix it?
                              A.T. Romano Level 7

Randall

In the Expert workspace, File Menu/New/Project

1.jpg

After you click on Project....you should see the following new project dialog on the middle of your screen

new project.JPG

Click on Change Settings tab in the new project dialog to see the Change Setting dialog.

change.JPG

In the above Change Settings dialog, change the settings to

NTSC

DSLR

1080p

DSLR 1080p30@ 29.97

Then click OK tab in the Change Settings dialog.

That should take you to the new project dialog again where you will see your newly selected project preset.

In that new project dialog, make sure that you have a check mark next to "Force Selected Project

Setting On This Project". Then exit that new project dialog to get back to the Expert workspace.

ATR

• 12. Re: Rendering out of phase (pixelated). How can I fix it?
                                A.T. Romano Level 7

Randall

After I got finished with preparing and posting my post numbered 11, I realized that I had not answered the question that you were asking.

The File Menu/Export no longer has an option of Movie as it did in the days of Premiere Elements 7. For the export that I suggested, you need

to look to the far right of the Expert workspace to the section named "Publish+Share".

Export.JPG

When you get to Publish+Share/Computer/, you are going to have to scroll down the list to see AVCHD, otherwise

you will think that all that you have there is Adobe Flash Video, MPEG, AVCHD. See the tiny scroll bar to

the right of the list of choices.

Please let me know if I am in sync with your latest question and its reply.

Thanks.

ATR

• 13. Re: Rendering out of phase (pixelated). How can I fix it?
                                  Randall Mullin Level 1

Helllo Mr. Romano,

I did exactly as you stated above (created new project, set it to DSLR 100p30@29.97, clicked on the "Force Selected Project...". When the video was rendered it looked like the previous screenshot I sent you (pixelated) and the Export menu item is grayed out so I could not continue your previous directions for Project Preset.

Would you tell me how to proceed?

Many thanks,

Randall

• 14. Re: Rendering out of phase (pixelated). How can I fix it?
                                    A.T. Romano Level 7

Randall Mullin

I think that you may have missed by latest post numbered 12 with the export details.

Please let me know if you are OK with those details.

We are looking forward to those results so that we can make the full comparison with your results and mine.

Thanks.

ATR

• 15. Re: Rendering out of phase (pixelated). How can I fix it?
                                      Randall Mullin Level 1

Mr Romano,

Good news. The MP4 file looks fine. Do I synchronize the clips and audio track (the two videos, audio track and the titles) in the pre-rendered version and then render it and turn it into a mp4 file? How do I import the finished project into YouTube?

Many thanks,

Randall Mullin

• 16. Re: Rendering out of phase (pixelated). How can I fix it?
                                        A.T. Romano Level 7

Randall

Great, wonderful news. Thanks for staying with the troubleshooting and working through the details of the suggestions. Much appreciated.

Do you have an account with YouTube? You are going to upload that .mp4 file which was saved to your computer hard drive to YouTube at the YouTube web site.

a. Sign Into Your YouTube Account at the YouTube web site.

b. There hit the Upload button which should let your browse to and select the .mp4 that was saved to the computer hard drive.

c. Then just follow the instructions.

If your video size is greater than 2 GB/15 minute duration, you will probably need a special YouTube extended account. That extended account

can only be used at YouTube. If you were to upload your Timeline content to YouTube (instead of the .mp4 export) using  the Premiere Elements

YouTube feature within the Premiere Elements, then you would be restricted to just 2 GB/15 minutes (no extended times allowed).

We will be watching for your progress. We are very pleased with your results. Great job.

Best wishes

ATR

• 17. Re: Rendering out of phase (pixelated). How can I fix it?
                                          PRE_help Adobe Employee

Good to know that the export turned out fine after ATR's help.

For the pixelated output after rendering, you can change the quality of rendering to Full Quality. Do this from Edit -> Preferences -> General -> Timeline render quality... dropdown. This should be "Draft Quality" by default. that just means that the rendered output is a quarter the resolution - 960x540 - of the original timeline setting. This can result in the pixelation since this resolution is now blown up to 1920x1080 for display.

Try this and let us know.

Regards,

Premiere Elements Team

• 18. Re: Rendering out of phase (pixelated). How can I fix it?
                                            A.T. Romano Level 7

PRE_help

Thanks for your comments to Randall.

I have never run into any pixelation after render fixes involving the HD only option "High Quality, Slow Speed" for Timeline render quality in preferences.

Consequently I will give the possibility a look, 1920 x 1080 vs 960 x 540 or 1280 x 720 vs 960 x 540.

In Randall's case and looking at Randall's files first hand, the issue presented more like an interlaced issue rather than a preview issue whether the preference was set to High Quality or Draft Quality. But, these preferences settings appeared to have no involvement in what he reported since the clips imported with no orange line over their content - no render possible. Even with a forced render and the High Quality render in preferences, indications of an interlaced matter appear to overshadow a preview concept.

ATR

• 19. Re: Rendering out of phase (pixelated). How can I fix it?
                                              Randall Mullin Level 1

Hello Mr. Romano,

I am delighted to say after following the suggestion of the Premiere Elements team to set the timeline render quality to High Quality/Slow Speed, the render is no longer pixelated.

I am very grateful to have this resolved.

Many thanks to you and to the Premiere Elements team.

Randall Mullin

• 20. Re: Rendering out of phase (pixelated). How can I fix it?
                                                A.T. Romano Level 7

Randall Mullin

I am very pleased to learn that the Timeline Render preference Draft to High Quality set got rid of the pixelation that you were seeing. I did not find that to be the case when I worked with your video samples with that preference on Draft or High Quality. In my prior reply to PRE_help, I described what worked for me with your samples in my computer environment.

My congratulations to you and PRE_help on your success.

We are very pleased knowing that you are moving forward successfully with your Premiere Elements projects.

Best wishes

ATR