6 Replies Latest reply on Sep 22, 2014 11:24 AM by harcleroad

How to disable the "up folder" in PS (CS5) open or save box?

harcleroad

School network, pretty locked down. No network browsing etc.

Doing a Win 7 refresh, includes CS5 64 bit.

Students' My Doc's are mapped to a home drive in their network folder.

In PS it gives the option to Open and/or Save, but has a folder with the green up arrow.

For whatever reason, this somehow bypasses our "no network browsing" fixes and lets students into each other's document folders.

Yikes! Is there an ADM for group policy, or a registry hack to eliminate this?

Thanks

• 1. Re: How to disable the "up folder" in PS (CS5) open or save box?
          Level 5

This is the boilerplate text often used in connection to networks in general. It is impossible to troubleshoot someone else's network remotely, and that's why it's not supported by Adobe:

If you are opening files over a network or saving them to a network server, please cease and desist immediately in the event you are currently experiencing problems with one or more files.

Working across a network in general is not supported by Adobe.

See: 

http://kb2.adobe.com/cps/406/kb406793.html

Copy the CLOSED file from your server to your local hard disk, work on it, save it again to your local hard disk, close it, and copy the closed file back to the server.

Of course, the fact that Adobe does not support working across a network does not necessarily mean it won't work.  It should.

Adobe's position is that there are too many variables in a network environment for them to guarantee that everything will work correctly in every network, especially given the fact that if something does not work properly, it's probably the network's fault, and Adobe has no way of troubleshooting your network.

If you can't work locally, you are on your own, and if something happens, you're on your own. If you must work from a server, make sure your network administrator is a competent professional.

• 2. Re: How to disable the "up folder" in PS (CS5) open or save box?
            harcleroad Level 1

Not looking for network assistance, nor assistance with saving issues, just asked if there was a way of disabling that "Up One Level" feature in Adobe software (???)

Found a nice ADM to add to Group Policy to eliminate the browse network function for Win 7, just asking if anyone knew of the same for this software

Our network admin is looking into other solutions (of course), but since it is a function in the Adobe software, thought I would ask here also

• 3. Re: How to disable the "up folder" in PS (CS5) open or save box?
              Level 5

You do realize that you are not addressing Adobe here in the user forums, don't you?  I do not work for Adobe.

I'm just giving you a heads up, because it might take a long while for one of your fellow users to reply to an uncommon question.  You will most likely not hear from one of the Adobe engineers who occasionally drop by as volunteers, on their own time and dime.  Adobe dos not monitor the forums officially.

• 4. Re: How to disable the "up folder" in PS (CS5) open or save box?
                Level 5

Sorry, but I re=read your post, and it does sound very much like a network question:

harcleroad wrote:

School network, pretty locked down…

Students' My Doc's are mapped to a home drive in their network folder…

You don't eve mention an exact version of Photoshop CS5, such as Photoshop Cs5 12.1, for example. You do mention a "registry Hack".

Forgive me for construing your question as a network issue.

• 5. Re: How to disable the "up folder" in PS (CS5) open or save box?
                  Level 5

Additionally, it is my understanding that the Save dialog box is provided by the OS.

Just explaining the basis for my response, that is all.

• 6. Re: How to disable the "up folder" in PS (CS5) open or save box?
                    harcleroad Level 1

Sorry to have posted here at all, just was looking for advice/help

Tried to delete entire post but not allowed at this point